new puter mad at amd 64

well i tried overclocking the amd 64 bit 3200+ and the shuttle even went got new case and the nforce 250 chipset motherboard and had worse luck ack i hate it so i went back to pentium picked up an ic7-max3 and a 3.0gig prescott and bilieve it or not a serial ata cdbuner dvd combo that only works on intel chipset pretty sweet havent overclocked it yet but very soon makeing sure all is stable and need a good cpu cooler just using stock at the moment oh yeah got the coolermaster wavemaster case as well nice case :) nad put the shuttle/64bit setup on ebay

Did you drop your multiplier BELOW stock and up your FSB? A64's are mulitplier unlocked downward only. Was your RAM up to it? Did you just get a CPU that wasn't quite golden? Are your shift and period keys broken? You did realize that a 200-300mhz OC on an A64 is more like a 400-600 OC on an Intel, performance-wise? If you just upped your FSB/voltages you probably maxed out at around 225mhz FSB.

You should have been running something like this:

9.5 x 260fsb = 2470mhz

instead of:

11 x 224mhz = 2464mhz

(11x200mhz=2200mhz stock)

Edit: If you have 3 slots for RAM on your mobo if you fill more than 2 then the system bus runs at 333mhz instead of 400mhz, at least on K8T800 chipset mobos.

Do I need to drive over and dope-slap you?

well yes on the amd 64 i maxed at 218 fsb but on nforce 3 150 chipset the multiplier is locked period so thats why i went and bought a new case and nforce3 250 chipset becuz supposeddly u can lock the memory and agp if i said that right anyway i love pentium ive alwayus had amd till the system before lat the p4 2.8c and so on i noticed on the 64bit would bog down easy on multi tasking with my pentiums i can do 50 things at once with no glitches plus my bandwidth is way higher with the pentium.......,,,,,,!!!!!!!!

I LOVE PENTIUM :)

(edited)

eheh nf3-150 chipsets arent locked they can only go down in multipliers not up nf3-250 is agp pci locks nf3-150 is too though i believe there is a trick you boot in bios at 201 and then use clockgen pci and agp frequenies should remain 33 and 66 but i dont have anyting to test on bah yea pentiums do own big time i definately dont regret not going 64 bit ill do that when its time :D overclock that sucker already please what kinda heatsink you have on it p4s wub copper :wub:

- i see stockheatsink get a slk947U or a sp-97 with a nice fan and i bet your oc rocks :D

Edited by All Kill3r

FaCeHoLe .gc,May 27 2004, 08:01 PM] i noticed on the 64bit would bog down easy on multi tasking with my pentiums i can do 50 things at once with no glitches

thanks, I really want to try out the a64's cuz I have a 2.6c right now. Ill take your word for it, I used to do lots of multitasking on my 1800+ and it was sloooow. With this baby I never slow down. I can install battlefield and all my drivers at the same time and it doesnt effect it all.

FaCeHoLe .gc,May 27 2004, 08:01 PM] i noticed on the 64bit would bog down easy on multi tasking with my pentiums i can do 50 things at once with no glitches plus my bandwidth is way higher with the pentium.......,,,,,,!!!!!!!!

Thats funny, my amd 64 3400+ never slows down when I multitask. but the p4 2.4c that I have does.... hmm....

heh, multi-takin depends on more then just the cpu....

i can open 50+ windows as fast as i can click the mouse before it starts to bog... depends on your ram and mobo too, the tighter your ram timings the more bandwidth along with the higher the fsb. AMD's cant touch intel in ram bandwidth.

multitask.jpg

My A64 hasn't ever bogged as far as I can tell.

I'll see how many windows I can open before it bogs when I get home tonight.

Edit: for reference my P4 2.66/533 1gb RAM (I know it's Kingston brand, likely CL=2.5) system at work here started bogging at around 42 IE's.

(edited)

bah screw your gig of ram :P i need another 512... waiting for a good deal on some used stuff that will run what i need it too....

ill top bullet with $20 for teh shuttle :P

-i just tried the window thing again and could only open 44 before ie wouldnt load the page, i think its a connection thing. need a better way to test multitask :D

Edited by All Kill3r

(edited)

hmm... 50 windows with ease no matter how fast i click, window 51 will NOT load no matter what, even if i open them slow all the way to 50. anyone else wanna try ? im kinda baffled as to why i seem to hit a IE brick wall at 50 open windows when the previous 50 open within miliseconds...

i tried on my fathers pc but even the first IE didnt open without slowing down...lmao. its a 2.4 400mhz intel with 384ram and the dirtiest OS ive ever seen. He wont let me format it.

Edited by All Kill3r

heh, multi-takin depends on more then just the cpu....

i can open 50+ windows as fast as i can click the mouse before it starts to bog... depends on your ram and mobo too, the tighter your ram timings the more bandwidth along with the higher the fsb. AMD's cant touch intel in ram bandwidth.

multitask.jpg

i can show u many benches that show the 64 FX kick the poop outta intel in mem bandwidth. 1079620909XLankjgaRT_1_4.gif