2 problems

flux

Flux, are these pop-ups as in Web Browser popups or are they system popups (in boxes similar to system error messages?

If it is the later, right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage" from the context menu that appears. This brings up "Computer Management". Now expand "Services and Applications" and click on "Services". In the right-hand window pane, scroll down to the "Messenger" service and double click on it. Under "Startup type:", click on the drop-down arrow and select "Disabled" from the options. Under "Service status", click the "Stop" button.

This will get rid of the "Net Send"-type, system pop ups. This disables all system message popups though (such as the full disk messages and such) but I have not really missed any of these since I disabled the "Messenger" service last year.

i get the AD pop ups. like I HATE POP UPS STOP THEM NOW CLICK HERE and all that jazz.. i did what you said with the messenger thing. and i get like gifts and coupon pop ups and all that.

i posted a guide for it a while back in hardware/software.

its really simple. boot into your bios and make sure your cd-rom is #1 boot priority. Restart computer, press any key when promted and follow the directions.

If you have raid press F6 when it says and intall raid drivers.

Easy as pie :P

Well not always. I use to have a NIC that you had to have drivers for and installing them was very specific and a pain. So I was without Internet until I got that going. THEN I could update everything. So it makes it a TON easier to make sure you have all the updates and drivers you will need before you start.

That's very true.

If you have a friend with XP, see if you can borrow the CD and use your CD key (important). I don't konw how which sets were distributed, but some discs are tied to the CD key (great if you know where to look) and some are tied to an authorization schema. If your friend has the latter (no way to tell the difference that I know of) you can use your key and it will work. Then make a copy. The important thing is to use your key, that keeps it legalish. You own the right to install one copy, the media you install it from is irrelevant.

Or was that office...I don't remember, but try it anyway. Microsoft has different licensing styles for bulk computer retailers (Dell), retail software sales, organization licensing (universities, etc.) so you're likely to find a disc that your key will work with.

Guest Soat
Guest Soat

I agree, reformat your hard drive.

And never install Windows again. :D I had all of that Ad-Aware, Spybot nonsense and popup-blockers and still got them under Windows. Since running Linux, I haven't had to tweak my browsers whatsoever and have yet to receive one in the 3 months I've been using it.

And CS runs perfectly as well. Just launch two instances of X if you want to keep CS in fullscreen mode, then just switch with alt+ctrl+F7 or F8. If one crashes (heaven forbid), the other one keeps on truckin'.

Problems solved!

Another suggestion.

Stop using Internet Explorer. And download Mozilla.

If you decide to switch to Mozilla. You will also need to download Macromedias Flash Player & Shock Player.

mozilla.org

didn't feel like linking it. :peace: