What can we do better next year?

Fatty

Serious replies only please.

Space and power will not be an issue next year, no matter where we go, that will be the priority. We won't be bumping elbows or having strips of PCs going down....I promise.

Besides those two issues, what could we improve, add, or eliminate that would make FFO an even better experience?

Well...

Some people, including me, did complain about it at the time, but I really think if we do Hold 'Em again, there should not be antes. The possibility of going out without seeing decent cards is far too high when you may only get 10-15 hands.

Yeah, the first table really had their britches in knots about that...2nd and 3rd to play seemed rather content. Along these lines, what I would like, no matter how we run it, is to have the rules right there beside the sign-up, so that you can make your decisions then...so there's no discussion when it comes time for cards. Thanks.

ok, I know I'm probably gonna get some flack for this because some people will just give me the "we're all adults" lines...but I hafta say it.

I hope we can maybe tone down some of the language ESPECIALLY some of the jokes that get thrown around. I seriously was shocked by the amount of jokes with pedofeliac (sp?) content in them that people were cracking up at. And the only other time I've heard the F-word tossed around so much was last time I played in a counter-strike pub with 12 year olds...

sorry if that's harsh...but that's my opinion...there were honestly times my fun was ruined because of things people were saying/doing

Hafta agree myself on the hold'em antes. Didn't really effect me b/c I got beat square up on a great hand by Gunny, but it didn't feel much like poker as it did a "let's get this done quickly" type event. Maybe more simultaneous tables would be better if time is an issue.

Playaa's got a good point about the frat party atmosphere at times. Dunno what can really be done about this other than what was, or just saying to tone it down.

My two suggestions:

1) better organization of game tourneys. Teams picked at a certain times and schedules stuck to. Dunno if this is realistic, but we only had one tourney this year.

2) Some ability to let those who are unable to attend play on servers with those at the FF.

I had another, but it's completely slipped my mind :rolleyes:

The obvious - more space.

Less than obvious - Although I take some of the blame for not starting the tournies as we were supposed to - I can't take all of it - I was in the middle of a hold'em tourney when I should have been setting teams up for the tournies on Sat night.

Ways to fix this problem - sign up for events WHEN YOU PAY TO COME TO FF...even though not everyone that signs up for FF will actually be there it will save a lot of time once we arrive.

Organizing the event at a hotel of some sorts would cut almost every other possible problem out. Bathroom - fixed. Power - fixed as the conference rooms usually have ample power available. Space - conference rooms have plenty of space for 100+ gamers with computers. Comfortable sleeping - hotel rooms baby!!!

Only possible problems that could come from using a hotel could be - cost(shouldn't be much more than the average person spent this year on FF) - noise (have to figure something out - drunkenness was not a HUGE problem this year, although a couple of ya got rowdy ;))

Just my thoughts...I honestly wouldnt have traded this years event for anything - I had a blast.

Cya next year PUNKS!

Gunny :freak:

I had another, but it's completely slipped my mind :rolleyes:

Swoop jolted my memory in the other thread with the extra day idea, that's what I was trying to remember. That got tossed around a bit at FF04.

Hi there,

I'll offer just a couple of hopefully constructive comments but I'd like to say first that I really enjoyed myself and I really do appreciate the hard work that went into FF04 and I consider it a success. So, it's VERY important to me that those who worked on the event know that I think they did a VERY good job and this is only some potential areas for improvement - not real criticism.

I don't always share the same personal choices as some others (I imagine that is true of most of us) but we're naturally going to be a somewhat diverse group because of our various backgrounds. So, these are not meant as criticisms - just my ideas of some areas for possible improvement.

Smoking - I know lots of people smoke and that's ok, it's really their business. But, as an asthmatic, I'd have to say the smoke in the building got pretty intense at times and I ended up wheesing a bit toward the end of the event. Perhaps in our next event, we could have an area for non-smokers and improve the ventilation a bit - I think that's all that would be required and I certainly don't want to interfere with the enjoyment of others who enjoy a cigarette while playing.

Language - I of course prefer that the language be clean. I'd have to agree with Playaa that at times, it bothered me that there were ladies present and some people were using some pretty harsh language. I understand the excitement and fun banter that goes on between players which is just part of the game but I do think as somewhat mature adults, we could keep it a bit cleaner. If we held the event in a more public place, I would think we would want bystanders and passers-by to think well of us and I'm not sure off-color jokes or what society generally considers indecent language would carry a good impression. I'm not beating up on anyone - it's just usually an area for improvement for most of us.

Power and space - of course Fatty has already indicated these will be priorities. Good. While it wasn't a huge problem, I think it might have contributed to improved happiness of some players if the power hadn't kept tripping on some circuits. Still, considering the power load in that garage, I stand amazed that they pulled it off at all! Congrats - you really did a good job on that with all things considered.

Anyway, I hope these are constructive comments. I found the FF to be a great event and given the diverse backgrounds of all the people involved, I thought we got along really well. Hey, we even put up with those VI guys! (just kidding VI - you know we love ya).

Also, kudos for the organization of the event in terms of being greeted and assisted with setting up upon arrival (thanks MrsX) - that went really smoothly! What a great guy Dweez is too - big help to me and Nyx on arrival.

Take care folks,

Cranky

oops - one other comment. If we organize in a place where we use the porta-potties again (which worked out fine for the event and were nicer than most I've used) - I'd strongly encourage the addition of a light for nighttime use. YoMomma's comments were well made in this regard. I think the simple addition of a typical automotive trouble light to the top of the portalet would solve that problem. Just one last idea I forgot to include. - Cranky B)

If we have a place outside like this year can we smoke outside? I for one am not a smoker and I HATE the smell of smoke. I could hardly stand it at sometimes and had to go outside for a breather. Could we enforce a smoking area outside?

actually the smoke was something else I had forgot to mention.

when the first night of gaming rolled around I was about to ask Chamber and Redeyez and those fellows behind me if they could stop smoking inside, then I looked around and realized that EVERYONE who smoked was doing so right at their computers, so it would have been pointless for me to bug the fellows behind me.

I know that for you smokers, it's completely natural for you to smoke while gaming...but I cannot STAND the smell or taste of smoke...and I have items in my backpack (that sat near the garage doors) that I never even took out, and they smell of smoke very strongly.

I definatly think having either an area for smokers to set up, or an area for non-smokers to set up would be a good thing (depending upon which there is more of).

I'm also FULLY with the hotel idea...I would be willing to dish out more money for a real room and a good conference area and whatnot to play games in. Maybe next year we can get some hotel to give us cheap room prices if we game there and stay there.

Organizing the event at a hotel of some sorts would cut almost every other possible problem out. Bathroom - fixed. Power - fixed as the conference rooms usually have ample power available. Space - conference rooms have plenty of space for 100+ gamers with computers. Comfortable sleeping - hotel rooms baby!!!

Not necessarrily true. I was at a LAN in KY and we had a huge conference room and we still had power issues.

Not necessarrily true. I was at a LAN in KY and we had a huge conference room and we still had power issues.

Lan here in WI had a big problem with power in the conference rooms. We had to bring in a big line through the halls just to feed all of the power hungry computers.

Oh yeah.. and if we do get a conference room make sure power is talked about in the cost.. the WI lan got charged once randomly and they finally got that resolved.

here's a suggestion.

more Semi-sports that geeks can play...like a WIFFLEBALL GAME!

it takes only a modicum of skill yet it gets us outdoors for general hanging out.

We don't want Fatty to hurt his finger though

Lan here in WI had a big problem with power in the conference rooms. We had to bring in a big line through the halls just to feed all of the power hungry computers.

Oh yeah.. and if we do get a conference room make sure power is talked about in the cost.. the WI lan got charged once randomly and they finally got that resolved.

One of the places I considered for FF03 was a conference room at the Sheriton here in the Falls. Why not? Power. Sure, they're equiped to run a PC with powerpoint.... :rolleyes:

Also, a big issue that you get into is the 24 hour access to the place.

At any rate, we've homed in a place for FF05. I already told you I'd take care of SPACE and POWER. We're not here to locate a spot.

Comments on smoking point taken, as well as the porta johns.

What else?

I don't know how you guys stand on the whole drinking thing but I do belive you have to be 21+ to drink. I have heard that a couple people drank at FF04 that were under 21. I don't know if it was true but one of them that I know had A shot. Chamber and Red were going around asking people if they wanted a shot. Did they ask if they were 21? No. I do belive we had rules on this? Did we not? I'm not trying to bash Chamber or Red, they are both great guys to play with, but I think those rules should have been followed. I for one know that I will not drink till I turn 21. I know it is illegal and there are consequences. Could we have a better system of telling who is 21+ or not?

Yep, wristbands or something.

What part about it bothered you beside the fact that you don't drink? You could go to any bar at anytime and find people "sneaking." I'd like to know what interests you so much in this specific situation.

I heard about one person that was drinking and not of age, and a warning was given and I believe he didn't the second night. Other than that I didn't hear about it. But then again, I didn't stand around and stare at everyone looking for trouble brewing either.

I think Red was just being nice and giving everyone around drinks...maybe he was confused like me cause I honestly thought you had to be 21 to even ATTEND...no idea where I got that in my head from.

I just feel I could get in trouble for something I didn't do. Yes, I know the cops don't go and check. I could see social drinking like most of you did. That was fine by me. But people that drink beyond that is just stupid. Plus, if something would have happened where as someone underage was drunk and got them hurt it would fall into your hands or whatever the waiver said. I also come from a family that doesn't drink. They tought me that it was dumb and pointless and I stand by that. I see your point and I see mine. I'm just telling you what I think.Thanks for listening to me. Time to go back to work :(

I think Red was just being nice and giving everyone around drinks...maybe he was confused like me cause I honestly thought you had to be 21 to even ATTEND...no idea where I got that in my head from.

At the start they were pushing around the idea of making the event 21+ or 18+.