TOTAL WAR IS OUT!

BIGSHaW

no...not at all....

Its Strategy but very different from all others u have ever played X...

See there are two games to this game:

One is Stratigic Game: which is turn based and lets u make all the global and strategic (doh) decisions about ur empire.

Two is a more of mainstream RTS but with emphasis on realism and historical accuracy, (meaning u wont find magic spells or super bigdonkey gremlin killing hundreds of mortals or some bull crap like that) Also morale and human behaviour is simulated on the battlefield, routing one battalion is nothing compared to routing 3 battalions cuz routing 3 battalions will probably cause rest of your regiment just go running.

Also alot of research was done on developers part to re-create the most realistic epic battles, for example all units got their own unique abilities BUT THIS DOES NOT MATTER because if u are not the greatest tactician out there u can simply let your generals do it for u...so technically u can just manage the empire from the Capital calling the shots w/o ever going down to win some battle and of course its vice versa.

I for one never get into battles too much, maybe at begining when they're small and really important but later I just lem my Gens do the work...besides PC is way better at managing 3000+ army of men than me with only two hands and 2 buttons on my mouse :P

PS: Also the campaing itself is very intresting and keeps u on your toes all the time...rebelions, treatury, and stuff like that always happens in the very unsuitable moments, Devs also put alot from historical prespective, all of the major events in Roman History are present and are recreated, with only slightest modification concerning dates. For example if in reallity the rebelion of Spartan happend lets say in 200BC or whatever, you would be naturally expecting this even in the game when you come near 200BC, BUT devs changed the date so that Spartan rebelion will still take place but not precisly in 200BC when u expect it, the game will automatically call the shot according to how u're doing....so me and you playing same campaing might have different dates for Spartan to come with his gladiators and kick some legion arse

Edited by BIGSHaW

I got it, just spent 2 and half hours straight, time went by so fast. Btw the intro video is reallly nice!

Oh yeah, I got it for $5 - went to EB, traded in 3 games, and I got a promational offer thing, and got $47 off, not bad!

Edited by rackish

GL Revs, Xterm and I, have to wait till Sat till its here up North :( :( :(

I'm going to check tomorrow on my way home from work.

Yeah this game is insane. I know the original on which it was based on (Shogun Total War) was amazing. The one thing i miss though are the cutscenes of assasinations. Hey did anyone notice how similar the cutscenes were to the movie "Shogun"

Man I just wiped out them Gauls! Was sieging (sp?) a city when they brought in reinforcements. So I went into battle with their main army (which outnumbered me)right across a bridge. We are both staring at each other across this bridge when all of a sudden his second army (same size as mine) descends on me from behind!!! I didn't even know anything was back there!!!! So I'm turning to deal with this new threat when (strategically I might add) he crosses the bridge to attack from what was originally the front. Needless to say I am a bit frantic at this point.

I think the thing that saved me was my vastly superior cavalry. They were able to prevent the second army from brining a concerted effort against my main body while it dealt with the bridge guys. They were so effective against them that I was able to bring them back to help. They were pretty tired but held up barely.

I am playing on medium so I'm sure that makes it easier ;)

Now I, Gregius, have dealt a dagger to the heart of the Gaulish Empire!!!

--------------------------------------------------

If you enjoy strategy games then this is a must! I am still figuring out the campaign part. It seems a tad easy? I will finish this out and then up the difficulty setting. Of course I haven't gone rampaging with my armies which would put a bigger strain on my towns.

One thing I LOVE is the speeches before battle. Makes me want to grab a spear and <intones Roman General Voice> show these weakly rebels the mighty power of the Roman Empire!!!!! :D

Nice man! Single player is great. I've been doing custom battles just seeing the game engine, etc. What I do is do max army of archers vs max war elephants (the best unit), and just watch the elepants RAPE the archers (also other uneven battles). Let us know of anymore of these stratagy things you find. I got the prima strat guide, and it says if you flank in this game it actually matters. The way a unit if facing affects the way he takes the hit, if he is facing you its even, if he doesn't see you coming, he gets owned. I'm sure they're are a ton of others things like this, gotta read the guide more. For a $15 it's a good guide.

On a related note, I can't seem to get the multiplayer to work. I just wanted to see what it was like, will you guys tell me if your multi is working for you all?

Yeah it's crazy stuff. I seem to have misplaced my diplomat and spy. SO far i set autotaxes and put my money to have way between save and spend.

Auto manage cities. Some cities are buidling oriented, others are military. Slowly i'm expanding. As for battle strats. Cavalry is good to have. I usually group my infantry in sections, then my archers and spearmen in another, then cavalry and finally my general in reserve. I setup infantry infront and then archers behind so the archers can shoot while the enemy advances. Teh infantry protects the spearmen, then i charge with infantry, flank with cavalry. and any routing units run them down with my general or cavalry that isn't being used

The multiplayer is annoying, it never works. I was reading the R:TW forums, and they were saying Gamespy put a max of 30 people in the public channels meaning only 30 people can play at a time, they better fix this, I gotta see what it's like to play online.