Tweaking source for gameplay/fps

urk?!?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PDO

Thanks Urk, my FPS went from average 30 (20 fire fights) to average 50->60 (40 fire fights). Very helpful. Seeing the bodies disapear is kidn of annoying, but that was a very big one.

I'm one of those guys who don't want to sacrifice the beauty of the game.

Which did you guys apply? Brillow did you do the interp?

Here, for discussions sake, and hopefully urk won't care too much, I'll paste what is found on gotfrag's website:

Netcode Settings:

These settings are for those people that are having issues with such things as "shots not registering", "bad net-code", "lagging hitboxes", "jerky play" and other similar complaints.

(comments are included for most settings)

Setting Comment

cl_interp 0 

cl_interpolate 0 Use in combination with cl_interp 0 -- See * note below

cl_lagcomp_errorcheck 1 Checks for player position errors

cl_cmdrate 100 I've always used 100, some use 101, shouldn't make a difference

cl_updaterate 100 Same as above

cl_rate 20000 

cl_smooth 0 Stops the game from feeling choppy

rate 25000 

* cl_interpolate makes your screen shake a little. It is nothing drastic but this may annoy some people. When interp and interpolate are both set to 0 your hitboxes will be perfectly on the player model. I can tell you from experience that after you play with interpolate on 0 for few days, you totally overlook the little shake. I have 2 keys bound for interpolate:

bind "." "cl_interpolate 0"

bind "/" "cl_interpolate 1"

You can replace “.� and “/� with whatever keys you would like. The reason I do this is I tend to AWP better with a setting of 1 and use deagle/colt/ak/everything other than AWP better with a setting of 0.

Graphics Tweaks:

These settings are for those people that want to increase their FPS in CS:S using existing drivers and hardware. Keep in mind that this is not for people who think graphics quality is important. This is for the competitive people like myself that want good gameplay.

Setting Comment

cl_ragdoll_physics_enable 0 Makes the models disappear once they are killed; saves CPU from rendering death animations

cl_phys_props_enable 0 Disables little cans/bottles that are rendered client side. Takes stress off CPU

mat_fastnobump 1 

cl_show_splashes 0 Disables water splashes

mat_bumpmap 0 Disables bumpmapping

mat_specular 0 Disables specular (AKA no more shiny crap)

mp_decals 0 Disables decals

r_lod 5 Player models look bad but saves CPU power. A setting of -5 will make the game render perfect quality models from any distance

mat_picmip 2 This is the command that the in game "Texture Quality" setting changes: 0 = High 1 = Medium 2 = Low

r_decals 0 It says decals and you can't really see them in source anyway so lets turn it off

r_shadows 0 Even though they show through some parts of walls they are still useless

budget_show_history 0 Found this on many sites, self explanatory

cl_ejectbrass 0 Disables bullet casings from flying out of your gun when you shoot

cl_phys_props_max 0 Sets range at which props show up

All of these combined make blood show up a bit better when you hit a person:

Setting Comment

violence_agibs "1" 

violence_hgibs "1" 

violence_hblood "1" 

violence_ablood "1" 

cl_show_bloodspray "1" 

Launch Options:

Open steam. Click play games. Right click CS:Source. Properties. Launch Options. In the edit box put the following:

-dxlevel 81

Note: 70 = directx7.0 80 = directx8.0 81 = directx8.1 90 = directx9.0

This takes some stress off your graphics card. Default is 90, which is Directx9.0. I run “-dxlevel 81� as it seems to be the best mix between performance and quality.

CS:Source, if you run all of these settings, should run smooth with higher FPS and you will enjoy the new found bullet registration. If you ever want to return your game to its stock state you can always go back to your cfg folder and delete the autoexec.cfg file that you created. Source will automatically set the removed settings to default values.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage

Turning off bumpmapping would be silly. THe game would look like butt if you did that. The interp one may be worth looking at as do the blood ones.

I applied most of them and must say I think it has improved my hits, like Brillow I can almost keep a 1/1 ratio now. the cl_interp and cl_interpolate I changed to 0 and the models were jumper than I am use to so I changed it back. I still need to try out the direct x thing though.

I added tweaks from this thread and also the one pinned at the top of this forum, my hits seem alot better but the game seems a little quirky. Like when you kill someone or you die, sometimes the gun will stay in mid air. The most annoying thing is for example on Aztec while guarding bridge, theres a guy awping on the other side (imagine that) and he jumps in and out from behind the wall,well alot of times i dont even see him come out, im just dead, its like everythings not in sync.

The tweaks i've used are as follows:

cl_lagcomp_errorcheck 1

cl_cmdrate 100

cl_updaterate 100

cl_rate 20000

cl_smooth 0

r_sse2 1

fps_max 85

and all the gore stuff, which i havent noticed any difference with.

Help would be appreciated ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use interporlate(hate the jerkiness) or any of the really ugly graphics makers. Some stuff I do turn on and it looks awesome. I leave shadows on bcs it's actually a great warning if ppl are walking around.

I'll paste my config when I get home. Haven't tried r_sse1/2 yet, but I may have to.

My fps using this config went from 60 solid > 40fps firefights to 100 solid>60firefights.

I don't use interporlate(hate the jerkiness) or any of the really ugly graphics makers. Some stuff I do turn on and it looks awesome. I leave shadows on bcs it's actually a great warning if ppl are walking around.

I'll paste my config when I get home. Haven't tried r_sse1/2 yet, but I may have to.

My fps using this config went from 60 solid > 40fps firefights to 100 solid>60firefights.

Paste your config! I want to try out what you have. I think we have the same card so maybe this will fix things for me. Post up! :D

I'm one of those guys who don't want to sacrifice the beauty of the game.

Which did you guys apply?  Brillow did you do the interp?

Here, for discussions sake, and hopefully urk won't care too much, I'll paste what is found on gotfrag's website:

nice try trying to steal gotfrags info fat bastard, IM ON TO YOU :wavey:

My specs:

X800XT AGP

AMD64 3500+ 2.2 gig

1gig dual ram

MSI Neo2 Platinum

Ok for some time now I've been trying to find out why my fps has been so up and down during gameplay. Everything I had tried did absolutely nothing up till now. I was averaging around 50fps jumping as low as 30 fps to 110 fps. Now I average 80 fps jumping from 70 to 100 fps. All I changed was the version of direct x cs:s should use. I did what that website said to do:

Open steam. Click play games. Right click CS:Source. Properties. Launch Options. In the edit box put the following:

-dxlevel 81

Note: 70 = directx7.0 80 = directx8.0 81 = directx8.1 90 = directx9.0

My question is this though. With my pc specs why am I not getting these results with directx9.0??

1) dx9 has more bloat in it. Less efficient code. Your vid card can handle it just fine, but dx81 has much less "features" in it so you don't get as much of the behind the scenes stuff which creates more vid card "lag"

2) All 3 are in my autoexec.cfg

3) They enable the multimedia functions on your processor, or rather, they enable HL2 to access them, creating some load-sharing for graphics related processor calculations. Basically, it makes your processor work more efficiently. I run a P4, so I have all 3 enabled, but if you have r_sse2 "1" then you don't really need r_sse1.

4) UrK?!? (frustrating isn'tit?)

budget_show_history "0"

cl_ejectbrass "0"

mat_bumpmap "0"

mat_picmip "2"

mat_specular "0"

mp_decals "0"

r_decals "20"

muzzleflash_light "0"

r_avglight"0"

r_decals "0"

r_dispfullradius "2"