Server HW Results.

[KWA]SaVAgE

OK so far I've done the following:

Removed you from the port you were sharing with a larger bandwidth user.

Set you on a port with my Linux Box minimal usage, should greatly improve latency and ping times.

Re-installed and updated CSS and HL2MP

Opened the box today, verified that there are indeed separate ATA 133 cables for the HDD and CD-Rom.

Went into the BIOS and disabled the following:

USB ports

Parallel ports

Serial ports

On-Board Audio

Also in the BIOS are settings for choosing "Enhanced IDE" and these were default to SATA which we do not have, I changed it to Primary IDE and it got angry, so the next option was Compatibility" which made it happy and posted fine.

I disabled HD Suspend, as well as dropped the shared Memory for video to 32 meg (text based OS so we need only 8 but better safe than sorry) disabled all USB settings in boot as well. Also disabled PS2 Mouse port as we do not use it, no mouse or keyboard even plugged in.

Next after three successful reboots, I checked the startup programs and disabled the following:

Sendmail

ISDN

PCMCIA

rhnsd

apmd

gpm

smb

Cant test it myself until the weekend, far to busy for the next few days.

Please test and reply as to improvements.

Also ran from bootable CD's about 10 different hardware tests including memtest86 all passed fine.

A little bit of screen flicker and end of round, but no delay to speak of,much,much better.

Ping was averaging about 102, and I was alone, which is kinda high considering that I usually top out at 80 with a full server in Recrud.

Hope this helps.

it's drastically reduced, it's about 1 or 2 seconds now between rounds.....not even long enought to make hlsw say "timeout" but long enough to notice while playing.

Watching HLSW during a map change, it took about 30 seconds to get a ping back once it "disappeared"

I'm running hl2mp on

kwa.savageland.org:27027 or 66.219.146.146:27027

Server has a completely default config, I want to see if it lags out on mapchanges as it comes direct from valve.

If you get an oppurtunity, please test it out and let me know.