• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats this AA/AF stuff? would reall like to know

AMD ATHLON 700mhz

310 SDRAM

ATI RADEON 8500 128mb

Windows ME

microsoft optical mouse, with five total buttons (love it)

run CS in 1240x800 (or something close to that)

get steady 70-80 fps with nothing happenin, goes down to 20-40 when stuff comes on screen. sucks.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests

AA is Anti-Aliasing. Smooths over "jaggies" . Older cards use a very ineffeciant method that kills performance and makes everything look blurry.

AF is Antiscopic Filtering. It filters blurry surfaces like the ground and walls. Play Dust and watch the different layers of blurriness. AF cleans that up.

i was wonderign what the AA and AF is also.

I have an

1800+ AMD

768 DDR

ECS-(Ali Magik), its one of the worst chipsets. I have an Asus with an Nforce2 chipset in the mail(should be here tomorrow).

Geforce4Mx440 64 Meg. I am thinking about buying a vid card soon. I was looking at the radeon 9500pro with 8x agp, what u think?

40 gig WD, 20 gig WD

19 inch flat screen, not lcd.

intellimouse explorer

dvd drive, burner...

and wireless connection that is somewhere around 4 Mbps.

I usually run about 100 fps but when theres lots of colors I tend to drop and when there is alot of action. Im hoping the new mobo will fix it, but i guess it doesnt Ill have to get a new vid card.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
i was wonderign what the AA and AF is also.

I have an

1800+ AMD

768 DDR

ECS-(Ali Magik), its one of the worst chipsets.  I have an Asus with an Nforce2 chipset in the mail(should be here tomorrow).

Geforce4Mx440 64 Meg.  I am thinking about buying a vid card soon.  I was looking at the radeon 9500pro with 8x agp, what u think?

40 gig WD, 20 gig WD

19 inch flat screen, not lcd.

intellimouse explorer

dvd drive, burner...

and wireless connection that is somewhere around 4 Mbps.

I usually run about 100 fps but when theres lots of colors I tend to drop and when there is alot of action.  Im hoping the new mobo will fix it, but i guess it doesnt Ill have to get a new vid card.

I think your choice of the Radeon 9500pro is very good. Best thing to do right now is wait until the GeForce FX comes out (supposed to be in February) and which time the price of all of ATI's current stuff will drop. A radeon 9700pro may be affordable then.

good idea man thats what i will probably do. i just got my asus mobo and it is sweeett...i also bought a new cpu cooler Ther Overclocking ability on the mobo is like none other. I have at 1800+ which is supposed to be 1.53 but I jacked the bus up to 145 and Its running at 1.67 with no problems. My old mobo my cpu temp got up to 73C when i was playing cs sometimes. It now stays at 32 or so and over clocked it stays around 38.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
got clothes for xmas, no comp :(

i have 450 MHz Plll

GForce2

512MB SDRam

I have a crappy comp! :)

Is that a P3 or P2 processor?

Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guest Deputy Dawg
Guests

I have been Updrading my comp ever since I built it 4 or 5 years ago. My specs:

P4 Firedragon Motherboard. (Limited Edition)

P4 2.0 Ghz Processor

ATI All-Inwonder 8500DV

Creative Live Platnum 5.1

SyncMaster 19" DynaFlat Monitor (Flat screen Not Flat Panel)

37 Gb Hard drive

Win XP

TDK CDR Burner

Microsoft Natural Keyborad

Logitech Wireless Optical Mouse

Guest [DW]Archaic
Guest [DW]Archaic
Guest [DW]Archaic
Guests

P4 1.4 ghz

384 mb RD ram

geforce4 128mb DDR

40gig hd

logitech dual optical (free)

modified ibm keyboard (luvvv it)

NEC 19 inch viewable monitor

i think i get a low fps for cs though... which stinks. I bet i could get 100 if i wasnt so lazy and did something about it.

Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guest ZDamage
Guests
looks like a PIII which = p3   :P

Then you should be able to toss in a faster CPU for a big performance increase. Not sure about your mobo but it sounds like a 450 is slow for a P3 even. Look and see if that sucker can be upped to a gig or so. You will see a huge increase without the need of getting a whole new system (for now).

• 1 year later...
(edited)
p4 3.06 w/ ht

radeon 9700 pro

audigy platinum

i'm debating on hd size 100+

dvd burner

lcd monitor

That would still be a sweet system.

Sad to see that the fastest processor intel has out now is only a couple hundred MHz faster than what was available at the end of 2002.

Seems like things have slowed a lil'.

:(

If 05 brings a lil speed and nothing but dual cores for both AMD and INtel I'm gonna be mad.

I want speed.

DOnt care about more cache and a faster FSB.

Just more GHz.

Edited by Birdman

DOnt care about more cache and a faster FSB.

Just more GHz.

thats why you have an amd barton right ? sounded weird coming from the birdman, are ya not feeling good today :P

you have to agree though that intels 3.2/3.4's knock the socks off that old 3.06. I think 3.7ghz is coming but an architecture change and dual cores will prob drop the mhz down and start it all over again :disgust: seriously, a beast of a cpu needs to come out soon to supply these new gpus with major powa !

was funny to look through this thread again and see the line between people's computers. It was a nice computer or a 400mhz cpu :laughcry:

amd 64 bit 3200+

1 gig corsair xms pc3200

ati 9800xt 256 meg

2 x hitachi sata 150's in raid 0

need help overclocking this baby im at 216 mghz fsb right now i dont see any multiplier or ram timing settings ? usin a shuttle xpc sn85g4 micro pc motherboard prolly got hold backs but i built this for the lan party :)

AMD64's are limited by thes first gen chipsets - the K8T800 and the nforce3 150. They don't have working AGP/PCI locks. The nforce3 250 and K8T800 Pro that are just coming out now do have working AGP locks. There is a known wall that you will hit at around 223mhz FSB. I can run 220mhz myself, and did hit the wall at 223.

The way you can get higher is to drop your multiplier and then bump your FSB higher (of course you need good RAM to do this, and a bit of voltage). The multiplier is locked at the top, but you can underclock it.

Read more.

ok here are the specs of new rig and i get 70 fps with this old low radiation energy monitor @ 85 hz

p4 2.8

512 geil ram

ati radeon 9600 pro

80gb hd

still get 70 fps max ... none of my config stays loaded.... so basically my CS blows.

Athlon XP 1600+ (1.4ghz)

512 DDR Ram (pc2100)

80gig IBM Hard Drive

Geforce2 TI 64mb DDR

not sure why but I only get 60-70 fps in CS at 1024x768....though I have not done any tweaking and that's with really nice models and skins

heh...I still have the exact same PC only with a Radeon 9700 Pro AIW and another 80 gig HD

time stands still for me in the PC world

<_<

flux, did you try opening your console in CS and typing "fps_max 100"?

lol ^ what he said, if my config wasnt staying loaded, I would probably make it read only also :rolleyes: