About being banned

Kruten

Is there a way to be banned and unbanned at certain times? Something like that would be useful for me, so I wouldn't end up playing through most of the time I should be studying and doing schoolwork.

Sure there is, the times that you want to banned, simply don't play, and when you wanna be unbanned,fire up the computer and away you go. If that does work for you, then I may be able to work out a more permanent arrangement. :D

Pretty funny there Laz and Clue.

Kruten, on a more serious note, I'll pass along to you (as the father of three fairly "adult" children) the same advice I would tell my kids.

As we grow and mature in life, we will be faced with a lot of choices. Part of the maturing process is coming to a point in life where we can make the right choices. Many times the choices aren't easy and many times they aren't really what we would prefer to do. However, becoming a mature adult includes the development of powers of discernment that allow us to make the "right" choices that are best for ourselves and for those we love.

Now I'm not certain because I don't know you that well but I would guess from your comments that you are either a student in high school or perhaps college. If so, you are involved in a serious undertaking - the creation of your future. The time you are investing in study, testing and homework is really an investment in yourself - to secure your future and a certain quality of life. That is to say, the things you do now will have an everlasting impact on your quality of life later. I can see this very clearly myself after working in industry now for some 30 plus years. If I had not chosen to do well in school back then, I would not enjoy the quality of life that I have today. So, the choice is the key. The choices you make now, will have a very long term effect on your life. I'm sure you probably realize this but I can tell you with certainty as someone standing on the opposite end of life looking back - it's a certainty.

So, it really comes down to choice and ownership of your future. You have to make the choice that your future is going to come first over what is really just a game. That would be a wise decision because you will have many hours in the future to play games. I realize sometimes this choice can be a very difficult one to make and if you find it bordering on the impossible, then you should perhaps consider the very real possibility that you have an addiction issue. If that is the case, don't feel bad about it - just seek professional help. We all can be addicted to most anything in life (I'm pretty bad myself with coffee). So, CS can also be an addiction. When we find it disrupting our lives and preventing us from taking care of the things that are really important, then it is most certain that it has taken on more importance than it really deserves.

The desire to have some automatic mechanism inflict it's control over you in terms of which hours you can play CS and which you cannot is really a decision to give up your right of choice. Don't do that. Use all your willpower and retain your right to make choices and decisions that are best for your life. Don't rely upon some automatic mechanism to make your choices. There will be many much more difficult choices ahead that will come your way in this life.

Don't sacrifice your future for some good fun now. Think of your choice of how you spend your time as an investment in yourself - for the future. If you do, you'll feel very positive about the decision you made when you are 30 years down the road and looking back at what you've accomplished.

Best of luck in your decisions...

Cranky B)

Kruten, I notice you responded to Laz...was Cranky's message too long to read?

No, I just didn't reply at the time. I know I should be doing this stuff myself and keep more important things besides games first, but it is desire that decides. I want to play games and I don't want to play games. Whichever desire is the strongest at the time, to play or not to play, wins and that is what I do. That is my philosophy. And the desire to play games usually wins.