Gaming computer

SiX

What do you think? Good bad?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

SiX
the fx57 IS NOT based on the older architecture.  it's a san diego(venice with 1mb l2).  the fx55 is also the cream of the crop and the new ones have the dsl technology.  all they're missing is sse3 and the advanced mem controller.  sse3 is useless as of now and the advanced mem controller translates into less than 2% gain.

why do you make a comment about the memory controller when you're not planning on overclocking?  afaik that's the only reason to be worried about a memory controller...

at least go for the 4000+ which is 2.4ghz and has 1mb l2 cache.  those are available just as much as the 3500s are.  same with the 3500 though make sure you get the new core.

Well thats my mistake on the fx57, but its not out yet, that was what I was eluding 2 but I couldn't remember the core name.

Raid setup wont makes your games run better, maybe load times, but no more FPS.

A 90 dollar DVD bruner wont help you out any in games

a 650 WATT PSU is more than enough

You dont need a 70 dollar heatsink.  I can OC a 2.6 to 3.2 on a decent air cooler for less than half that cost.

I havent done much research, but for that price, why not get a dual opteron setup? 2 CPU > 1.

Raid, well its a gaming machine, if you in doom3 cranking along do you realy want to wait for it to load, or far cry which has very very bad map load times which a raid setup would help with. I'm Impatient I went with what should preform.

I chose plextor dvd burners, because if you like cracking or making copys of games plextors are about 10x faster than any other drive out there.

Well that 70 dollar heatsink is the best if you would like to find me something that preforms better with air please do let me know because I haven't looked in about 4 weeks on the air cooling for processors.

dual opteron

ASUS K8N-DL Dual Socket 940 Extended ATX Server Motherboard - Retail $274.00

AMD Opteron 252 Troy 1GHz FSB 1MB L2 Cache Socket 940 Processor - Retail 869.00x2

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

SiX
Lots of wasted money in that setup.  I can get close to the same performance at a fraction of the cost.  Probably build two or more of them for that price.  And I would defintely have 2 gigs instead of 1.

Using what hardware, I would like to see.

(edited)

My computer cost less than $1100, and I built it in December. Athlon 64 3500, BFG 6800, 1GB PC3700, 250GB HDD, 15" LCD.

BTW, Nvidia is releasing the 512MB Geforce 6800 Ultra tomorrow. $899 starting price. Ripoff. :boo:

Edited by Kruten

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $209

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM $315

Western Digital Raptor 3.5" Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM $179.00x2

THERMALRIGHT XP-120 Heatsink - Retail $68.99

^^^That's the stuff that seems most reasonable to me. SiX makes a good point with the RAID setup. As far as video cards go, I might go w/a nice $200 PCIE card (and get another one later if I feel the need).

Just missing the RAM. Estimated total would be about $1100

My opinion? Complete waste of money. SLI 6800? Tell me a game that you wouldn't be able to play at 1600x1200 full throttle when combined with a fx-55. It should be a game you'd wanna play.

I say screw the SLI. Get 1 vcard, replace crappy cpu with the fx-55. Bump the RAM up to 2GB and lose 1 of the hard disks.

SiX
^^^That's the stuff that seems most reasonable to me.  SiX makes a good point with the RAID setup.  As far as video cards go, I might go w/a nice $200 PCIE card (and get another one later if I feel the need).

Just missing the RAM.  Estimated total would be about $1100

raid= da pimp, as soon as I get cash I'm going for it:P

My opinion?  Complete waste of money.  SLI 6800?  Tell me a game that you wouldn't be able to play at 1600x1200 full throttle when combined with a fx-55.  It should be a game you'd wanna play.

I say screw the SLI.  Get 1 vcard, replace crappy cpu with the fx-55.  Bump the RAM up to 2GB and lose 1 of the hard disks.

Why not just get sli and the fx-55??

Well i ask you how do you intend on getting to 2 gigs, 4x512 or 2x1024?

(edited)

i'd go with 2x1024. with 4x512mb even with the new mem controller you still have to use 2t.

*edit - has anyone actually gone from 1 to 2 gigs? any noticable difference? if so, where? i noticed a difference when i went from 512mb to 1gig but windows peaks at maybe 700mb usage for me so i don't think i'd notice anything goin to 2gigs. infact, right now, after having played source all night with irc, msn, f@h(big packets), teamspeak, firefox and xfire running at the same time, my peak usage still is only 734mb.

Edited by [rAv]Cujo

Going 6800 SLI now is a waste of money.

I'll further shep's analogy. You can get a ferrari. And then you can put a $4000 exhaust system on there that gives you no net speed increase or extra HP.

Honestly, I'd spend that $4000 on a flat screen tv.

Yeah, but how often do you upgrade...

If the setup will do all it's expected to do in the future (I don't keep up with new hardware, not on my checkbook anyway) and keeping with the analogy, bigger speakers come out fairly regularly and are very cheap comparatively. If you only upgrade once every so often, and the system will do all it's expected to do, then you might as well buy the 10,000W amp seeing as you'll be getting new speakers every month or three, and they're constantly getting bigger.

Of course, I guess that also depends on which camp you're in, too, the balls-to-the-wall ultimate upgrade once in a while or the casual, constant machine bump-up (like me). I dunno, I just don't see the harm besides cost.

Premier,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that the SLI option is "too much" right now. If so, I'm keeping an eye on the future -- it's great to max out any game that's on the market now and have a really nice system in the future.

(edited)

And if the 10000W amp is $10000 today but when you buy those 5000W speakers later, the 10000W amp is only $5000?

So...in planning for the future games I get to play, I'm going to forego the flat screen TV now? Even thought it would be easy to just put in the second card to make SLI at 50% of the cost later when I actually need it? Hey man, its your money.

Edited by DJ Premier

Oh boy! $10,000 video cards, eh? The card I was talking about would be in the $200 range (see my earlier post). So I'm going with the "middle-of-the-road" approach, and buying another SLI card later (when I need it). However, I can see the logic in buying a very nice videocard now. If you're looking at it from a purely financial aspect (no problem with that), consider this:

If you buy a decent card now, you'll need another decent card later. Let's say the "decent" cards are $200. You buy one now, and a few games come out and you can no longer max it out the settings. You need a new card. Buy another $200 card. How much can you sell the original for? Generally speaking, 1-2 year old cards on ebay right now are going for about half their retail price. If you recover $100 from your original card, that means you have now spent $300 total on video cards in 2 years.

Bottom line: the cost for maxing out a system's graphic settings is more than just the initial sticker price of the video card. Don't forget about the salvage value of the original card when you have to upgrade your videocard in the near future.

So for me, a $200 card now and a $150 card later (SLI, assuming the same card goes down in price by $50). If I could find a card for less than $350 now that is better than the performance of two $200 cards, then I should buy that. Otherwise I'll go the SLI option. Does my logic make sense?

With all due respect, DJ, I don't see how he's foregoing the flat screen TV. I agree, it's a costly machine, but that's because it's forward-looking. You pay a premium for "tomorrow's technology today", and 1st-gen technology is usually when the bugs are found (and hopefully worked out), but besides cost (since firmware updates usually fix most ills and the parts seem to be from pretty reputable manufacturers) is there a significant issue that will prevent this system from doing its job in the future, when the full benefits can be realized?