Scout Camps

*BiGBonES**

What has scouting given you?

--------------------------------------------------

I'll kick this one off

Camping-

I'd always enjoyed camping. My local camp site is the international scout headquarters, which goes by the name of Giwell (sp? its been a while).

I go on the usual scouting camps, but then entered our troops top 6 scouts (yeah right), into a camping competition.

We started off well, setting up two patrol tents, building gadgets and fencing off our area within a couple of hours, before heading down to a welcome camp fire.

The next day, things started to go wrong. The organisers took all of our firewood, because only naturaly wood is allowed, so our 'cheating' did not work. We had to search a wet forest for suitable wood.

We got so completely lost on our hike, that we made a guy fake a hayfeaver attack so someone would pick us up. We arrived back at the campsite about 4 hours after all the other teams.

Our 'special' meal, that we had to prepare and give to the judges went horribly wrong. My mum choose kebabs for us to make. So, after a late start, we prepared our raw kebabs and put them onto the camp fire. We all watched in horror, as the heat of the fire made the kebab sticks catch alight, and our nicely presented food turn into a sloppy mess.

One member of the team had to miss school for a week due to food poisoning.

We finished in the middle of the rankings, so it was worth the fun.

-------------------------------------------------

Thailand world scouting jamboree

I was lucky enough to participate in a scouting jamboree. This is a gathering of scouts from all over the world, for a massive camp.

I'm unsure I can fit my experience into this post, as it will be extremely long, so I'll start a new topic tomorrow, fresh with pictures and a description of how amazing it was!

I got to run a torch to light a campfire celebrating scoutings 150th year it was in front of about 7000 scouts and as I stuck the torch into the pile of wood ..... it went out luckly I had a lighter so I kinda faked it. The ashes from the fire were spread at the tomb od lord baden powell. The best part of it I got to sit in the vip area right inbetween green bar bill and miss teen usa it was one of the best moments of my scouting life next to getting eagle.

Also Philmont was an awsome experience

Edited by [DLM]->Fish

boy scouts? hah. i'm an eagle scout.

i can't tell all the stories from scout camp, because that violates most, if not all, of the rules for this forum.

i did get lightning striking about 10 feet in front of me and melting rock into glass though, and i almost drowned once cause the swimming merit badge requires you to make life preserves out of clothing. they had a box of clothing to use and i got "denim jacket and denim pants" surprise surprise, i couldn't swim.

(edited)

i did get lightning striking about 10 feet in front of me and melting rock into glass though

It's a good thing that you didn't have a tin foil hat on :)

Edited by BushMaster

Lighting your hand on fire after dousing it with bug spray was the coolest thing in the world. Boy Scouts was all about pyrotechnics, violent games and horseplay (well and ultimate frisbee), and playing Magic the Gathering. Camp Tesomas was where I went pretty much every summer for a week...I have a lot of memories there.

Scouting gave me nothing but a lack of respect for the parents that ran it, and realization of the lack of ambition the other scouts in my troop really had.

Camping was boring...did nothing but study plants and tried to fend off the bugs.

Only games we played were...um...nothing.

I learned to tie a knot...wait, I already knew that.

Waste of time in my experience.

• 10 months later...

great green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts chopped up monkey meat mutulated parakeet

great big red eyeballs floating in a pool of blood, forgot my spoon but I got my straw..ssssssllllllllllllllllluuurrrrppp

sang a million times for a week hiking in the woods, I feel sorry for the counselors that heard it over and over