Doom

Dennis

...I know it's kind of early to get discouraged, when the trailer isn't even going to be released publically for another few months, but I think I'm going to cry.

DooM without portals or demons is like 1984 without Big Brother. Mapping the human genome and making zombies/monsters out of the ensuing genetic experiments was already used in the 2001 summer blockbuster, that also happened to be a videogame series...

I'm not a DooM purist, but I think I've already seen the film that they're promoting, here... ...twice this summer.

(edited)

All right... ...just because I'm a geek (and because Dwayne Johnson isn't going to be the lead role), I'll watch the 300MB panel video. There's apparently film footage from the panel that isn't in the trailer. Hopefully, it's in the panel video. I know they kept the Imps and Pinky Demons and such, but if they're now little more than testing with the T-Virus (*AHEM*, I mean... ...umm, the human genome... ...yeah... ...that's it...), I might be upset.

A seperate set of props goes out to using Stan Winston as the man behind the makeup...

Actually, now that I know that, I'm almost 100% going to see the movie, regardless of the rest of its merits.

I love filmmaking, and I love what that man has done for the industry. They really focussed on the CG elements in the action sequences there, but I have total faith in Winston's ability to make those creatures come to latex and silicone-based life, as much as I have faith in WETA and DKP's abilities to create silicon-based, virtual life.

The trailer is just a little (WAY) too sugar-coated for me. If they say that they're going John Carpenter with some FPS PoV shots, my interest is piqued, but I certainly didn't see any meat in the 1:12 promo.

Edited by Norguard

• 2 months later...

checked it out today. it was better than i expected but still so short of the game...

the best part for me (not my friends) was when camera turns into first person and he pwns monsters.

otherwise, there is a lot of corny stuff and bad acting (The Rock)

checked it out today. it was better than i expected but still so short of the game...

the best part for me (not my friends) was when camera turns into first person and he pwns monsters.

otherwise, there is a lot of corny stuff and bad acting (The Rock)

You said everything that I would have said. The chick in the movie played in a recent bond film as a bad girl, that role suited her more than this one.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
i liked it and i dont mind The Rock as an actor, i think hes pretty good actually, anyway the first person spec in the movie was awsome!

He is even better as a wrestler when he plays a bad guy. Very funny.

• 2 months later...
One thing confuses me. The Doom Guy has hair, but the so-called The Rock doesn't have hair. WAY TO GET IT WRONG

The Rock isn't the Doom Guy...he played Sarge from Doom 3.The other guy...the dude who was in the LoTR was the Doom guy.

Why was I always told that the Doom Guy was The Rock? I don't even care for him as an actor anyway.

I'd give it 1/5 stars. Hardly anything to do with the game. If they called it Resident Evil: Mars Attacks or something, I would have given it 2/5 stars. Nothing to do with hellspawn. No blue, red, or yellow keycards, no clips of ammo when you kill an enemy, tried to put drama in there, just didn't do it for me.

Good thing I downloaded it instead of renting/buying it... (oops... did I type that while thinking that?)

• 1 month later...

I just saw this, and sorry but how could anyone like this movie? It was poorly directed, and terribly acted. The FPS part was stupid, not to offend anyone, but it felt like when I was little and I would switch off with my friend while we would play regular UT.

• 3 weeks later...