New Expansion Packs

TheReverend(c)

Lost Coast is going to be a chapter taken straight from Half-Life 2's cutting room floor.

It was a group of sequences taken from the buggy part of the game (the vehicle, not the glitch). It's supposedly a full chapter, so I'm assuming three or four level loads. It will feature another character or two who were written out of the game, and, for those of us whose PCs can hack it, it will feature High Dynamic-Range Rendering, IE: a much purdier set of coding which will offer a closer representation of the sun/light sources.

If you didn't see the HDR Lighting video in the Steam news a few months ago, it's a good watch to give you an example.

It'll be a rather short play-through, I guess. But I'll do it just for the sake of drooling on the HDR and redone characters. I'm willing to bet that in order to play it at a cranked rez and full detail with the HDR, you'll need a 9800XT or better, though a 9600XT should work at a lesser resolution.

nVidia users... ...well... I doubt that VALVe is going to code HDR for DX8.1, so you have to own an FX5950 or better, to get anything more than just the story.

• 1 month later...

I've actually had the HDR spec running off of a 9600XT. The fullest implementation may not be feasible (or smooth) on a 5XXX series nVidia card, but anything 6XXX and up, or a 9500 and up should run it perfectly well.

Lost Coast should be released soon. By soon, I mean that its release date should be announced in the next few updates.

VALVe is going to update the way the "Games" list works, so that it's easier to sort VALVe/non-VALVe games, when the first one (Ragdoll Kung-Fu) arrives at the end of next week...

After that, I think that Lost Coast will be the first official news heard - along, possibly, with DoD updates (engine and not content), et cetera.

They had originally mentioned having Aftermath ready for mid-November/Christmas time, but they didn't commit to anything at all. Give it a while. I expect Lost Coast arriving, and a content patch or two for CS and/or DoD, before we have anything decisive at all about Half-Life 2: Aftermath.

Where the first installment of SiN Episodes fits into all of this, I don't know. Again, Ritual will probably get it out the door before VALVe releases Aftermath, though I think Lost Coast may have the drop on it.

Edited by Norguard

• 4 weeks later...