Pictures from co-workers coming in.

Bubblegum Bandit

I had an opportunity to go down and help with the clean up after the hurricanes hit in the gulf. Unfortunately, I was not able to go due to the 3 month minimum that we would have to stay down there. Anyway, recently some of the people who were able to go have been sending back some pictures. I work for a civil engineering firm as a water resources engineer. These pictures were taken by my colleagues but I will do my best to add some narration at times.

no1.jpg

As many of you know, New Orleans is below sea level and much of the underlying soil is sand. When I was visiting a buddy's family several years ago, they were explainingto me that you can't build a house on a conventional footer. Basically you drive pylons around the perimeter of where your foundation will be. There is no bedrock or clay to take the weight of the house, so these pylons have to be relatively long and the friction along the sides of them is what keeps the house from sinking into the sandy soil. That's why pictures like this are common, the house just sits on the pylons with no real "tie" in to the ground. When the flood came they just floated off of their foundation.

no2.jpg

no3.jpg

You can't see it in this picture, but there is a levy off to the right. This barge floated up and over the levy wall and ended up here.

no4.jpg

no5.jpg

no6.jpg

Anybody looking to buy a boat????

***Warning, this image could be thought of as disturbing by some people....***

I find two things in this picture particularly interesting. The first thing is the obvious writing on the front of this house of which could be thought of as disturbing. The second is the water marking on the columns of this house. You can see how high the water was in this neighborhood by taking a look at the water rings on the columns.

More pictures in the next post.

I lIve in Slidell, La ( 20 miles north of New Orleans). I had two trees land on my house one ended up with limbs in my bedroom. 15 holes in my roof, but no flooding. My sister lives(lived) right on lake Ponchatrain. A 25 to 30 foot wave left nothing but the slab. I drive through New Orleans every day going to work, it is really disturbing.