Laz's AMD build. Start to finish.

Laz.e.rus

I wouldnt suggest a 175. They OC LOWER than the 165/170s.

Ah thanks.

I know the mobo allows the 165/175, so we'll find out. If anything I'd probably get a faster processor

before all the 939s disappear (or the price goes out of sight). If I do, then the 3700+ gets relegated

to either the server or (hopefully) an HTPC box.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

looks good laz. note those reviewed cards are signature series cards vs a stock gtx. i also like the gtx for more ram. i would actually take a look on monday as nvidia is releasing a new card then.

dingy, the 175 should oc just the same as a 165 or 170 but more people buy those ones. they are essentially the same cpus just different stock multipliers. the 10 multiplier on the 170 is my favourite cause it allows 3.0ghz (which is likely your limit) with a nice 300htt.

looks good laz. note those reviewed cards are signature series cards vs a stock gtx. i also like the gtx for more ram. i would actually take a look on monday as nvidia is releasing a new card then.

dingy, the 175 should oc just the same as a 165 or 170 but more people buy those ones. they are essentially the same cpus just different stock multipliers. the 10 multiplier on the 170 is my favourite cause it allows 3.0ghz (which is likely your limit) with a nice 300htt.

Thanks for the info. I'll check into the 165/170 when I get closer - especially if it will save some $$.

Also, thanks for the OC info. Of course, I'll have to get a new heatsink to go with the processor, but

that's easy - one of the Internet retailers is on my way home from work, and they have a will-call.

• 2 weeks later...

all put together.

I got to the windows install, did the MobO driver thing.

Then setup raid 0 , 32 stipe, started installing windows...

Then I remembered I havent run the Hitachi HD tools yet to set the HDs up to be 3gb instead of 1.5....

SO after I do that, prolly gotta isntall windows again :)

But, all the parts workin so far.

Runnin hot tho so far, 44 on the cpu, 51 on the chipset. I dont think thats good. Thought it was a bad seat on the HSF, but I dont think so with the bridge chipset runnin hot as well....

Gotta think on that one.

SO, here we go!!

Cujo, if your around and you wanna get on Vent, Im there :)

Grr..

all setup, still warm but no more errors in device manager etc.

partition ok. 8 gig on OS for C:, 145 gig on E: for the whatever.

45 MB of windows updates

cool n quiet

couple o dual core fixes....

fun fun! :)

DLing 3dmark05. Wanna see how it compares to old one before I even OC it.

Heh: Heres my old score from my P4 2.8 Ghz with OCd 6600gt:

results:

Game score : 3050

Return : 11.5 fps

Firefly : 9.3

Canyon : 17.0

CPU score: 2820

Test 1 : 1.3

Test 2 : 2.6

For comparison, heres the score on this one WITHOUT OCing so its only running at 1.8 Ghz ( 1.0 Ghz SLOWER)!!!

GameScore: 8503

Return: 35.2

Firefly: 26.6

Canyon: 41.9

CPU score: 5384

Test1: 2.4

Test2: 5.5

Oooo Im lookin forward to this!

(edited)

my chipset temperature is arounf 39c in bios, my pwmic temp is around 37c, and cpu temp at 34c approx. sounds like your temps are a bit warm. the bios does load your system some. make sure if you're using the bios fan controllers that you have them set to run max speed at 45c or so.

the lower you can get those temps with added fans the better. i have a 120mm fan sitting on the bottom of my case blowing at that little heatsink fan on the mobo. also, make sure all your cables are tucked neatly away and there is lots of free flowing air.

Edited by Cujo

moved HDDS to the read bay near PSU. This opened up the front 120 fan more. Lowered front fan to lowest bay to blow more directly on chipset.

Moved a few cables out of the way.

Set bios fan settings to maz out at:

cpu:30

Fan2: 33

NBChipset: 39

New current temps: bios- 34/41/41

in smartgaurdian idling desktop: 29cpu/37 pwmic/40-41 chipset.

OCd fsb to 225 just to try it out. = 2025 Ghz

3dmark05 =

37.1/26.9/42.4

cpu= 6050 2.7/6.0

cpu temp reached 38. This is with ram stilll underclocked as well..

again...WOW!!!

off to wrk.

Gonna finish moving/tying cables tonight, then do some real OCing/testing.

Cujo/someone else....

Can you plz list/link any software Im gonna need for the real OCing? Currently only have smartgaurdian/cpuz/memtest86+/3dmark05 on this machine.

Sidenote: my 7900gtko idles around 46c with a slowdown set at 130... Looks like I have some room to play with that too.

m2, pm me if you're serious.

laz, temps look spot on what mine are. though i'm at 2.8ghz and have a second bay fan in the front.

for stability testing i do the following:

set the ram low and raise the fsb up at stock voltage and keep booting every 100mhz higher. once i got to 2.4ghz i went to windows and ran super pi 1meg test. you have to run two of these, one per core, by setting affinity in task manager. then i do a 3dmark 2k6 run. if it passes both of those i return to bios and bump another 100mhz and keep repeating that til it fails. when it fails set it back to the last one that passed and boot to windows and do the 32meg test of super pi on each core. then i do prime95 for at least 12 hours. again you have to run two of those but this time the program allows you to set affinity.

link to super pi:

http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/index.php

prime link:

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

this thread is a great reference:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...167&postcount=3

Ok..

I have the ldt multi set to 2.5 and the ram ratio at 1/2 for testing the cpu.

SO far up to 2.4 Ghz on stock volts.

Temps at load with 3dM06:

maxxed at cpu 43, pwmic 49, Chipset 41

Heres the prob : The pwmic is consistantly the hottest temp. BUT, :) , I dont know what pwmic stands for, where it is, what it should be at, or-since I dont know the what/where, how to cool it better.

Can someone help me on that one? That temp is getting a lil high for me.

(edited)

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...740&postcount=2

there's the pwmic.

here's my temps for the past 48hrs:

temps8ci.jpg

i played nfs:mw and cs:source in that time period. normally the temps are about 3c cooler but i had a bunch of people over while i was playin nfs and my room was quite a bit warmer then normal.

anyway, for the pwmic temp it's quite normal for people to be in the 50s. if mine was going over 60c regularily then i'd be a bit more worried. with my old heatsink i used to have a fan over that area so my temps were really low but it's harder to rig this big typhoon with a fan hanging off it.

Edited by Cujo

cool. Been doing some testing.

CPU is looking AMAZING. Was running 2.6 today. Hit a temp cap though. Maxxing my temps at 50cpu,52 PWM,42 chipset at 2.6

Not bad for totally stock cooling though!! Oh, and Im still using stock voltage!

It helped a lil to remove the 90mm exhaust fan from the top of the armor case, and put it at an angle in front floor of case ( behind that utility drawer)

Still trying some new fan alternatives, but looks like I break down and buy some stuff.

Getting the Big typhoon HSF, another 120 for the case, and prolly that evercool chipset fan replacement depending on cost.

Those temps were during the hot part of day tho. In the am when it was cooler in the room, temps maxed at 46 cpu, 51 pwm, 42 chipset @ 2610 -same settings.

Id rather go with the higher ambient temps to be safe.

made some more adjustments. Reversed flow of the front 120, then reversed the whole drive bay so its 7 inches closer to the mobo but still blowing in.

It made a BIG diff.

Ran 3dmark05 at 2520 with ram at 252 on a 9/10 with httx3

cpu: 7041

...gettin there

Temps: maxxed at 45/46/42. BUT..and a BIG but here... my highest temps were during the grfx portion of the test!! I think its the residuals from that KO venting rearwards. That'll be helped with the new fans coming. On the cpu tests, my temps only hit 41-46-41.. yes!

Still havent changed cpu volts either. Bumped dram to 2.7 tho. The rams warranted to 2.85 so still plenty of room there and Im jsut touching stock speed on it now anyway.

Ive already ran it on a 1/1 at 265 so I know its good to at least that.

nice results keep it coming. to clarify you have intake at the front, exhaust at the rear correct? top, if you used it, should be exhaust.

personally, i think that top fan is a waste as it blows straight into tiny plastic holes.

correct. Except that top fan is now laying on the floor of the case at an angle making it an intake throught the bottom 2 drive bays. It blows at the angle across chipset towards cpu.

The drive bay fan is still intake but I reversed the bay AND the fan so its closer and still blowing inward. ( double reversed). Its mounted so there are 2 open bays beneath it ( which the 90mm old top fan is now using for intake).

Total: 2 intakes at front on bottom. One 120 rear exhaust, 1 90 rear exhaust, and the PSUs 120 top-rear exhaust.

I ordered the 2018 Tt case fan. It looks the same, buts its like 95 cfm. Dunno if I want to use it as extra, or replace either current front or rear fans with it yet.