Video Card Recommendations

Unclean

Gamespot just did a performance review on this...basically, if you want to have eye candy at any rez...GF7900 will win out over all. Any midrange card will get destroyed unless you turn off alot of stuff.

You can get acceptable frames with these cards

7900GTX SLI

X1900XT

X1800XT

7900 GTX

Every other card they tested is below 30 fps at 1600x1200 max settings

This is standard outdoor environment and standard indoor with multiple characters but no combat.

At minimum settings (but 1024x768) all cards above 6800GS scored above 100 so you have room to adjust to where you like it. But they mention that if you run the game with Distant Lands turned off that you are only getting about 1/3 of the total beauty of the game.

I'm really getting worried that my system wont run it smoothly...

...I'd have to build a new computer just so I could get PCI-x...dang, dont want to think about it.

Edited by Brillow_Head

Jeez... so to have eye candy in this game, someone would have to drop $300-$1200 on a videocard setup?

Do you have a link to the Gamespot article? I'm wondering what the difference was between the 7900GT ($300), 7900GTX ($600), and 7900GTX SLI ($1200) cards.

My brother has an Nvidia 7800, AMD 3800XP and 3gigs of ram, he runs on everything all the way up at 1280x1024. No AA or AF because HDR doesn't work with AA and there's no ingame option for AF. He get's great FPS.

I have an X800 Pro, which I'm running at 1024x768 with 4x AA. No shadow filtering, normal quality water, Shadow sliders 1/2 way. All other sliders full. It runs well. It's not an online game so I don't have to worry too much about needing 50+fps in a fight.

:wiggle2: I just got the GeForce 7800GS ($245) at Frys Electronics.

You're going to have to have a power supply with at least 350watts ($69)....that's important.

The graphics run smoothly. I was surprised how fast Civilization 4 runs with this high-end vid card.

Also, cs_militia in CS:S is absolutely gorgeous with this new card.

Of course, Oblivion is breath taking.... :hug: