The ups and downs of being a captain

Decoy

Hello all.

This is Decoy, captain for the Lex Luther team. We're chugging along nicely, eagerly anticipating tonight's match. I can't wait to see how we do.

As many of you are starting to notice, or will soon be noticing, being a captain takes up a lot of time. And, it's not just being a captain. Being a member of this takes up a lot of time, too! But, after a practice or two, you start to feel okay. You start to think that, yes, this team is all that it's cracked up to be.

Then you play a match, and you really get a feel for your team. That's how you're going to perform. It's a good feeling. So another week goes by, and it's more or less the same... Hard to get ahold of everyone at once. It seems harder to get in contact with your opposing team...

You slack off.. Your team loses track of you and thinks you're hibernating in some cave(thanks vovik).

But, you're still there to be with the team. You still know what's going on, and even if you get to the position I'm in, you're still behind the main lines getting a match stuck together.

With all that said and done, you don't expect the following to happen to you.

On a match night, you already have your schedule cleared. This is the night we're having a match. Nothing else can interfere, because a forfeit is not worth it. You already know that two of your members can't make it, so you're down one person. Easy to find a ringer somewhere.

So, about 3 or 4 hours before the match, you're talking to a few people. You turn around to see something, or to say something, and then when you turn back around to face your screen, you knock over your bottle of water that just happens to spill all over your laptop, completely ruining it.

And so you frantically wipe it off and turn it off and dry it off hoping that it will work.

And, you turn it back on to find out it doesn't.

You get nervous and think time will tell how it's going to be.

So you turn it on 30 minutes before the match and realize that it's not working.

You realize that the laptop you bought on June 25th, 2005, with a 1 year warranty for a grand total of $3400, will not be replaced because water is under the abuse category.

So, you're out a computer and out of a match.

And thus so ends my post.

:shrug03:

oh man. i think i'd cry for a long time if that happened. tough break man.

that being said, you actually gamed on your laptop? like used it's keyboard? not many people do that. i've tried and i found it's quite difficult. kudos to you man. hope you manage.

GC Alumni
(edited)

awwwwww..... :( ...Awwwwww. *thinks about it again* awwwwww >_<

You know if you spill something on the laptop... i know it's too late now but .... to save a laptop because something was spilled on it.

1. Turn off ASAP

2. Blot up liquid as best as you can with a cloth and unplug any accessories. (mouse, cables, external drives, removable bays, netcards)

3. Tilt the laptop from side to side to get rid of more water... don't shake.

4. Place upside down so that any excess liquid that you couldn't reach will drain out.

5. Dab excess again.... then use a hair drier... the setting that is least hot. don't put it too close and keep it moving drying unit.

*6. (i don't recommend if you are not tech savy) After you get it pretty dry. Remove keyboard carefully with hair drier on hand. Blow dry EVERYTHING good and well dry. :/

7. wait and pray around a day to insure it's dry.

8. Turn it back on ... if it's still dead. take it in for a MFG and hope they don't catch the water damage. If dried it good in the process above the water marks will be less apparent and maybe they'd miss it. :/

oh yeah if it's soda or something sugary... warm slightly damp cloth.

I hope your luck get's better :(

Edited by EbilDustBunny

Heres a bit of advice decoy:

Put your laptop in an airing cupboard for a day or two and hopefully all of the water would have vanished and the laptop should work. Thats if you have an airing cupbard, or even know what they are over there? (small room with the boiler in it that you put clothes in after they have been washed to air out).

If that doesnt work, take it down to the local tech shop and see what the guys can do. Maybe they can remove some of the working parts and get you some of your money back.

I feel for you :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

shheeeeeshh. tough break decoy. If it'd happen to me I'd hope it'll dry out. Shouldn't it? :unsure: Otherwise, if it dries up and still doesn't work send it to the place you bought it and tell them it doesn't work and you don't know why. My friend's laptop wasn't working for some reason (processor was at 300Mhz instead of 2.2Ghz), he just sent it back to Dell where they figured it's something with his proc fan, and they just plain changed all the parts...free of charge.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
(edited)

Sucks man. It is funny that this came up because I was talking to Mags earlier today. He asked about that Extra protection from Dell for a system he was helping his relatives order. I mentioned that the extra protection warranty is pointless for a desktop (spills, etc) but def worth it for a laptop.

Anyway, if all else fails, this may be an alternative for you.

http://www.slickdeals.net/#p7321

It is Dell's end of quarter with all these deals. Dell Home has the Inspiron XPS M170 2GHz 17" Widescreen Laptop w/ 7800GTX Video Card for $1349 - $35 ebay coupon = $1314 w/ free shipping. This is a desktop replacement, gaming laptop. Pay with your DPA account to save another 2%. Thanks retro12345.

1. Click here

2. Select 760 Processor instead of default 770 processor.

3. Select 60GB Hard Drive.

4. Select Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 instead of default 2915.

5. Select No Productivity Suite instead of default Office Basic.

6. Click Continue

7. Select 1yr Warranty instead of default 3 yr.

8. Click Continue.

9. Select None for Carrying Case instead of Default XPS Backpack.

Specs:

Intel Pentium M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)

Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife

1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm

256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7800 GTX

60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive

Integrated 1 Gigabit Network Card and Modem

8xCD/DVD burner(DVD+/-RW)w/dble-layer DVD+R write capability

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)

9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (80 WHr)

1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support

Inspiron XPS, Specialized Support

Edited by zerodamage