A Thought...

whudats

Just thinking about the pay-to-enter and possible monetary prizes for this Mortal Combat bizness...

How about having a "bank" type of set-up? You can deposit a certain amount of money into your account that you can use for entrance fees, and these can range from $1 to $whatever depending on the event (determined by event coordinator). Then your winnings (if you win) can be deposited into the same account. This would eliminate the multiple paypal fees for little transfers back and forth. You then have the option to cash out whenever you want.

It would be fun to see how you did compared to others. If everyone starts at the same initial amount, say $20, then you can see how people build/lose money over time, and you wouldn't have to be sending PayPal transactions all over the place.

I know it would take some management, but it would be pretty easy to set up an Excel file with graphs and everything if we wanted. Maybe deposit all the money into the GC account and put the interest into the community pool...? Then you don't need a separate account, just a separate tracking and accounting system. We could even send out "statements" to people who want them.

I'm just sort of thinking (out loud) on paper here...but I think it might be kind of fun to do it this way. It would make it easier to enter events, and to collect the penalty for no-shows. You could also graph/track the amount "donated" to the community through no-show penalties.

Any thoughts? What is the interest for pay-to-enter/prize types of events? Like I said, it would take a little management, but it wouldn't be too much work, methinks...

:wiggle2:

I think the concept would be fun, but I think there's legal and tax issues to think of as well. At the year, money sitting in an account I would assume would be gains. If not the money deposited, then the interest definately would be....GC isn't set up as a buisness, so things like that need to be taken into consideration as well.

Now, assuming X approves that stuff. You are talking about a LOT of work. For numbers sake, say we have 150 people in GC that participate, keeping track of everything, if you had to mail out statements each month, that's a LOT of work. From my point of view, keeping up the site is a lot of work....and I generally do it for free, and thus its not as big a deal if things don't hit deadlines. But we are talking about money here....people don't like it when deadlines aren't hit when money is involved. Someone higher up in the GC org who is trusted enough to have access to the GC account would have to want to put this time in.

My honest opinion, while it might be a blast to do, its too much work for the resources we have right now.

also, people would actually want to pick their teammates...

The problem with that is that you would get teams of folks who know and play with each other a lot - clans, official teams, etc.. The idea is to keep it low cost, unpredictable, and fun. It's not a team event, in my opinion, it's a community fun event. You don't know who you play with every time, and a $2-$3 entry fee isn't really that big an investment, IMO, so it isn't too big a deal if you get mediocre/n00b teammates and get smoked.

Yeah Bub - I didn't think about that side of it. I have no idea as to the inner financial workings of GC. And it would be a lot of work, but with only 2-3 events per month, dbase, spreadsheet, and mail merge, it might not be too tough.

Maybe that's how all you guys pay for your vacations... :D

I think we would have a hard time getting enough people to submit to a random team (or even chosen teams) if there was an entry fee. I would probably be less likely to do it even for 5 bucks, not that it is a bunch of money but then people get a bit too intense when there is $ involved.

I think we would have a hard time getting enough people to submit to a random team (or even chosen teams) if there was an entry fee. I would probably be less likely to do it even for 5 bucks, not that it is a bunch of money but then people get a bit too intense when there is $ involved.

I agree. People do get a little too intense when $$ are on the table. If we could make it like penny ante poker, keep the amounts low, maybe...?

Once again, just thinking out loud. Maybe we don't do dollars, and just do points...? Earn points for wins, etc, lose for losses, but then what about no-show punishment...?

Once again, just thinking out loud. Maybe we don't do dollars, and just do points...? Earn points for wins, etc, lose for losses, but then what about no-show punishment...?

Now that could be doable....More for bragging rights than anything, I could make up a "standings" block for the front page, etc. (not offering to keep track, just help report by the way... :peace: ) It would side step all the "money issues" that could pop up. It probably wouldn't prevent as many no shows, but we could also put up a wall of shame or something that you get put on if you don't show.....

Honestly, I think its going to be easier to keep the "fun" atmosphere if you keep money out of it. In fact, now that I'm thinking about it, you could actually bring in more "activities" than just Mortal Combat. Western Warfare could be added, etc, to spread the action all around. For give me for the analogy, but its like NASCAR or even golf. You don't have to win or even play in every event to end up in the top of points at the end of the year. So, why not spread it around. Maybe bonus points for doing good from a different time zone, etc. Could be lots of fun. Start jotting down some rules and get it going.

I signed up to this site, exactly what you guys are talking about http://www.prizefight.co.uk/

You sign up, get a £5 of credit into your account to start you up, and then you can enter into competitions for £1-£5 each night. The winning team, or top 3 players from the winning team get the pot of money, which subsequently goes into their account. They can withdraw and insert money into their account via paypal.

There are also different skill categories based on your previous performance in matches, which gives everyone an equal chance to win the money.