Gas Prices....

Kilzugud

i go this from a friend. its worth reading, its pretty interesting and i wonder if this would actually have any affect on them.

Body: We are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by the summer. Want gasoline

prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"

campaign that was going around last April or May!

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't

continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an

inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of

this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is

super cheap. Me too! It is currently $2.75 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to

think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75, we need to

take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the

marketplace.... not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need

to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down

is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!

And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But

we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price

war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from the two

biggest companies (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not

selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they

reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon

and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp (sic) out

on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to

reach millions of people!!

i go this from a friend. its worth reading, its pretty interesting and i wonder if this would actually have any affect on them.

I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it

to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least

ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches

the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION

consumers!

If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends

each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level

further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all you

have to do is send this to 10 people and DON"T purchase ANY gasoline from

EXXON and MOBIL. That's all.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to

ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't

think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can

make a difference.

That's exactly the same email that went around in the UK about 2 years ago with the gas companies (I think it was Shell and BP in the UK) and currency changed.

Unfortunately whilst I agree that gas prices seem to be spiralling out of control (if not at the $7 a gallon you'd pay in the UK or most of Europe), ultimately it is the gas companies that control the price. As consumers and car users we have no control of the price, it's really on the government who can intervene and manage the prices.

Ultimately the big petrochemical companies supply so many other industries with chemical byproducts of the refining process, as well as selling lower grade petroleum to smaller gas companies, I'm not sure it would have any impact. I don't think this ever happened in the UK as a result of the mass emailing, but it certainly wasn't reflected in gas prices.

wait, so do canadians pay a dollar a litre? I'm confused..

I heard from my AP US History and Investments teacher that we get most of our oil from Canada... I don't buy Exxon or Mobil anyways because the Mobil stations we have around here always have the highest prices. I usually buy gas from Meijer or a Clark station (I don't know who owns Clark or if they are privately owned.)

Yeah, I've seen this one before. If the other major gasoline retailers can't supply the gas, prices will go up anyway with increased demand. Besides, I'm sure the big companies have enough lateral agreements to get through it. The problem is, plain and simple, we (in general in America) need gas to do business: To go to work, to ship goods, etc.

Guess we're up The Creek without a paddle.

And does anyone remember that episode of the Simpsons where Homer was told by a car salesman in a stiff (Russian?) accent that the vehicle he was sitting in got x deciliters to the hectare? Anyone?

His numbers at the bottom don't usually make sense.

When I get chain mail worth sending, I usually get it about 5 times from different people on my contact list, and others probably get the same amount.

300million people will not recieve his e-mail for sure. Even if 300million people did, who can honestly say that they will go out of their way to go to find another petrol station that isn't being supplied by them companies in the e-mail?

Trying to reduce gas prices will work if everyone puts in an effort to stop using gas, therefore lowering the demand for it and consequently its price. Walking, cycling, carpooling, public transport are all ways of not using as much gas. Buying a more fuel effecient/friendly car would cut down on the amount of gas needed.

I heard ford truck was the most popular car in the world one time. Just think, if the majority of them people who didnt need them trucks for work/specific truck needs, bought a smaller car, a heck load of fuel would be saved.

Anyway, having gas prices at $4 shouldn't be one's only incentive to cut down on the amount of gas they use, pollution also effects the environment just as much as your wallets. Green peace ftw! :luxhello:

Yep, we Canadians pay by the litre and it's running around a buck right now. Since an American gallon is about 3.78 litres, Canadians are paying 3.78 CDN per US gallon. That's about US$3.26 using current exchange rates.

So perhaps you Americans can send us some of your cheap gas. <_<

Edited by pavid

That's why in Canada, our gov't got involved and controlled the prices. Still $1 here.

Yep, we Canadians pay by the litre and it's running around a buck right now. Since an American gallon is about 3.78 litres, Canadians are paying 3.78 CDN per US gallon. That's about US$3.26 using current exchange rates.

Canadians are paying 3.78 CDN per US gallon. That's about US$3.26 using current exchange rates.

:shrug03:

Edited by EbilDustBunny

That's why in Canada, our gov't got involved and controlled the prices. Still $1 here.

Canadians are paying 3.78 CDN per US gallon. That's about US$3.26 using current exchange rates.

:shrug03:

What can I say, I pulled a SloMo. I don't drive cause driving is for sissies. Walking ftw

Unfortunately, this little scheme has no basis for working. And here's why.

I've got a friend in the oil industry. He's an independent oil guy with no affiliations to any of the big oil companies. And we've had this discussion several times. Oil companies DO NOT really set the price of gas per se. Because it's no longer priced on the old "supply and demand" standards. Hasn't been for some time.

It's the knuckleheads on wall street(or wherever they hang out) that deal in future commodities that are really setting the price. Because the way they bid today will set the price for a barrel of oil say 4 to 6 (or 2 to 3) months down the road. So oil companies are setting their prices to adjust for these future costs.

Granted I don't really think they need to price gas as high per gallon as they do. Since they are recording record profits as of late.

As Paul Harvey would say "Now you know the rest of the story, Good Day" :peace:

as much as i want to save the environment and reduce pollution,

there are times when i need to use cars rather than my bike

Markham, is a great city all in all, but it was built in a way so that everyone would use cars....

i mean, if the city planners were a bit smarter, they could have built everything more compact and closer, so that even if we did need cars, we wudnt need to drive too far.....

as for the email, just becuz u send it doesnt mean other people will read it.

well, thats my 2 cents

His numbers at the bottom don't usually make sense.

When I get chain mail worth sending, I usually get it about 5 times from different people on my contact list, and others probably get the same amount.

300million people will not recieve his e-mail for sure. Even if 300million people did, who can honestly say that they will go out of their way to go to find another petrol station that isn't being supplied by them companies in the e-mail?

Trying to reduce gas prices will work if everyone puts in an effort to stop using gas, therefore lowering the demand for it and consequently its price. Walking, cycling, carpooling, public transport are all ways of not using as much gas. Buying a more fuel effecient/friendly car would cut down on the amount of gas needed.

I heard ford truck was the most popular car in the world one time. Just think, if the majority of them people who didnt need them trucks for work/specific truck needs, bought a smaller car, a heck load of fuel would be saved.

Anyway, having gas prices at $4 shouldn't be one's only incentive to cut down on the amount of gas they use, pollution also effects the environment just as much as your wallets. Green peace ftw! :luxhello:

To add to that the 2000 census shows that we barely have 300 million people in the country and only about 40% of that have net access. But it would be nce if it worked. :D