Do you hunt shrooms???

Tek-Almighty

Any of you ever hunt mushrooms? I just got started a couple of years ago. I have some friends that have some land here in the middle of Illinois.

I found about 1 lb of morels today, and got soaked during the rain for my efforts. They are great.

Last year, because of drought, it was bad...only found like 6 or 7 the entire season.

However, in the fall it is a good time for puffballs...I found about 5 lbs of them, they are great.

A pat of butter, some freshly minced garlic, some kosher salt...

sautee for 3 min...

Ahhhhh....

My father and I go hunting for them!

We've got about 34 acres and it's fun to go lookin around the tree stumps for them... I cant remember how to spell the name of them, but Ill try to spell it the way it sounds.

poypeinky?

I went on a scout camp about 4 years ago in an area where some mushrooms that taste like chicken, and are worth stupid amounts of money were supposed to grow. Didn't find any though <_<

Yep...truffles...you need a pig because they can smell them under the earth! They can be worth rediculous amounts of money depending on size and quality...

Hhahahahaha... that sounds... unique.

How do you know what you find is umm edible?

I'm a biologist by profession and an Illinois Master Naturalist by training...so...I did my research.

However, there are people that make mistakes....every year.

I went on a scout camp about 4 years ago in an area where some mushrooms that taste like chicken, and are worth stupid amounts of money were supposed to grow. Didn't find any though <_<

Actually truffles taste nothing like chicken...I suppose unless cooked incorrectly...with some, uh...chicken.

Truffles are worth tons of money, but the good ones don't grow in the states.

we get humongous puffballs in my front yard, and my dad always brings them in the house like he's gonna fry em but he never does anything with them.

do they actually taste good?

If you like mushrooms, they are very good. You have to check which species tho', because some are not edible. The common white puffball is, but you have to get it early in the season, before it forms spores.

Like I said, a little butter, etc...and they are great. Good by themselves or great with pasta or on grill.

That's such a weird coincidence because my mom and I were talking about those mushrooms that pigs find a couple days ago, but we couldn't remember if they were called truffles or not. We decided that truffles were just the gourmet chocolates :P I'll have to tell her we were wrong now!

I dislike mushrooms. And I can justify that.

See, mushrooms, as you know, are fungus-dealies, yes?

Well, so is athlete's foot.

Well now you've offended all the people that find athlete's foot delicious.

I dislike mushrooms. And I can justify that.

See, mushrooms, as you know, are fungus-dealies, yes?

Well, so is athlete's foot.

Mmmm...sporty fungi...

The same could be said of almost any "group" of organisms that humans eat...

There are delicious ones and nasty ones.

You like shrimp? Lobster? Crab? You should taste some of their relatives.