• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

I'd like to know where I can find 63 bit procs myself :P. I'd say get anything that's dual core and 64 bit and just wait for Vista to come out. There aren't any real games that make use of these features yet but you will be kicking yourself in the butt when they become standard.

I am sure you will see somthing from cujo or cobalt soon, but I have talked about this b4 and know this: the 64-bit xp is junk..dont even think about it. The dual core car not used under windows xp at this time it does not know how to use the seperate cores. When Vista releases next year you would see a HUGH difference in performance with the dual core. So if you are going to upgrade operating systems as well next year then YES go with the dual core.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

Actually, now that I think about it, save your money. There's nothing you can use it for now and you're just gonna end up wasting lots of money. By the time Vista comes out prices will go down obviously and 64 bit dual cores will be selling like hot cakes.

Edited by ash-

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

We could use more info about your current system so we can better help you make the right decision.

guys its for a customer doing video.

he wants 2 pc's with dual dvi's

he wants one now so I'm looking at dell and comparing and I find dual core to be the standard of the high end.

I think i'll go dual core on wxp home

then hopefully vista upgrades can be applied???

any thoughts.

Auggy

Though some people will argue the contrary, XP64 is junk and Windows Vista keeps getting pushed back further and further. Even with that being said, going with a 64bit enabled processor and Dual Core is still the right way to go. More specifically you want an AMD 64bit and Dual Core cause the Intel processors are junk. Your best bet is with an FX-60 or Opteron processor if you can find it for a good deal. Barring that I would check out the X2 line of AMD processors which generally tend to start right around $320 with the 3800+. The 3800+ can also be overclocked easily on stock cooling to 4200+ (2.2ghz) speeds with no stability issues.

Given what you have told us so far if a customer is doing any sort of video editing he is probably also doing stills and/or audio. With that being said, you can set processor affinity so that one program is running on each core seperately. People who want dual DVI are the type of people who want 2x 24" Widescreen Dell monitors and like to multitask with a program on each. Dual Core processors at this point in time are made for those type of people. He will be able to use Premiere and Photoshop at the same time with no performance hit because he will effectively have one processor for each program.

Speed and stability are also issues when it comes to builds of this sort but money is a huge factor as well. If your customer has told you money is no object you would want something like the list I am about to give you. In situations like your case I would also recommend going with XP Pro instead of Home

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe - 8 Phase power. Stability. Asus. Best board out there right now

TwinX2048 Corsair Memory - Corsair memory is quick and also reliable and their RMA is awesome

EVGA Geforce 7900GTX 512 - Cause why not?

PCP&C 510 SLI - Again, stability.

Redundancy is an issue with a lot of clients of like this so I would say go something like this. Setup 2 RAID1 arrays

2x 150GB WD Raptor - 150GB space - Windows Drives - RAID1 Redundancy, Uber raptor speed

2x WD SE16 400 Drives - 400GB space - Storage Drives - One of the best storage drives out there

A setup like that is probably going to set you back close to 2 - 2.5 grand depending on what types of deals you get and what type of processor you get. In the end, buy an Asus board and get a dual core processor. Do NOT use Windows XP64 cause it is junk.

you can get just about any distro of linux in 64 bit and for FREE!!! :spin2:

Did you see that video on Google's site about the beta Linux GUI that's coming out? It's got stuff like a true 3d desktop and other eye candy. Plus it was running on 256MB of RAM. I wonder how much Vista will need... :)

you can get just about any distro of linux in 64 bit and for FREE!!! :spin2:

Did you see that video on Google's site about the beta Linux GUI that's coming out? It's got stuff like a true 3d desktop and other eye candy. Plus it was running on 256MB of RAM. I wonder how much Vista will need... :)

There was a bunch of talk on the web and at this Microsoft Retailer thing I went to about recommended specs being 2gb.

2GB for Vista? Ouch.

That is supposedly the recommended specs, I have a feeling the required will be somewhere around 512. A system with that mcuh memory is likely to score a -22 on their windows evaluator thing

what I mean guys is comparing dell to building my own.

I personally have issues with many clients who have AMD (athlons) so I tend not to build any. I built 1 and it worked fine for about 3 mos and then died so we replaced it with the same mb and cpu and it's been fine for about 2 years.

But alot of the calls that seem unresolvable seem to be AMD.

I know they carry the horse but like ATI they carry the larger load or probs.

I personally won't even buy an ATI due to about 9 bad experiences building systems. I gave up when their dual screens dvi would not work and I read on the web there was no fix avail. We got an nvidia and no probs. I'm not arguing nvidia has no probs but for me and my business nvidia and intel have been more stable so I go with that.

I tried x64 and it sucked totally. drive errors galore!!! even with devices with drivers they acted funny like taking a bit long to print.

Heres what I quoted them

a 80gb sata2 HD 3gbs partitioned in 3. 1 for normal use. 1 for internet use. and 1 for backup

a 300 gb sata2 hd 3gb for data

2 gb ram

3.2 dual core p4 800 mhz bus

dvd, dvdrw, card reader w/ floppy, firewire in front,

2 19" digital widescreen viewsonics

for 2414.00

7600gt nvidia dual dvi

the multi partition also can aid in upgrading to vista if or when it comes.

use the internet partition with upgrades to test before installing on reg partition. Using the internet partition is for keeping their video work away from virus'.

any thoughts

Aug

What board do you plan on putting that stuff in?

More importantly, back to processors. Intel Dual Core processors (Barring the EE in most regards) suck. If you are NOT buying the EE Dual Core processor then your supposed dual core does not have HT. So you are effectively getting 2 physical cores where they have to communicate WITH NO CROSSBAR and no HT. You are probably better off getting single core HT processors in that case. Or, you buy AMD dual core processors because they run cooler, are more stable, and operate better. Brand loyalty in the computer industry in this day in age is something that will get you into trouble.

i avoid people who mention dell. they usually have too many pre-conceived notions and biases.

what i do understand is being timid about going back to a brand that has given you problems. what you have to do is look at the facts. perhaps the best way to see what is best is look at what the hardware that computer enthusiasts buy. they're the ones that do all that research, do the testing, read the forums, etc.

that said, if you want an expensive space heater then continue along the path you are on. if you want the best performing, coolest running, cheapest, both in initial price and in power consumption, then take a serious look at any of the amd dual cores.

For the most part, I recommend AMD cpu's. I have put together several rigs, and the Athlon 64's are great chips...

It all depends on what you are using your rig for...I assume gaming?

If that is true and you are not a power gamer (super high resolutions, obsessed with framrates all the time, etc...) you can get by with a lower end Athlon 64. The 3700+ and the 3500+ are great chips for around $200-250.

But, if you are power user and multitasker I would recommend the Athlon 64 x2 4400+. It is gonna run you $450 or so, but it can be way-overclocked and it is really much cheaper than the 4800+ and the FX-60. You can overclock the 4400+ to the same specs as the 4800+ and save yourself $200.

AMD 64 is really the way to go for gamers, as they consistently outperform Intel for a better price to boot.

I would also take the time to build your own rig: tech support is free, you'll get more for your buck, and you can change out gear when you want. Dell rigs use proprietary components that (for the most part) cannot be replaced.

guys the main purpose is Video.

I have done much reading on multimedia and 64bit amd's compare (outperform BARELY) a low end pentium 4. As a musician working Cubase and digital audio and using Vegas Video (sony) I did alot of research on this area and yea AMD does kick on gaming but in multimedia I have to spend alot of money for the high end amd.

WITH THAT SAID...

I've not done any reading on AMD dual core. Will Vista take advantage of this?

heres another proposition to make to the client...

What about getting a mb that supports the EE (dual core) and purchasing a reg p4 ht in it. Then if and when vista is released then purchase a dual core and plug it in and go?

I am sure they will want pentium anyhow. I'll still give amd a try but you can forget it on ati. : )

sorry I know you ATI people are so sold on the horse power but I've had to many failures to give em a chance.

now concerning the heat. I planned on going with a zalaman copper cooler to help the cooling on the chip no matter what chip i go with.

the thing is awsome. silent, and fins in 360 degrees around the fan.

it looks like a flower. Really nice piece for cpu cooling.

However I do want to be sure about the chip so a little more dialouge would be helpful. Can you guys bring me to date on my expectation of AMD with dual core or 64 bit support?

the last note on video work is I think it's cheaper to build a network of lowend pc's (like building 4 pc's) and network render to them rather than trying to build a pc thats 4x faster than the average pc. Any thoughts?

Aug

Aug

The Zalman blooming flower cooler is cool but the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 and the Big Typhoon are both better coolers.

In terms of the processors what more is there that can be said? You have heard it from two different sources. The AMD Processors right now are just far better made and are far more efficient. When the Yonah and Conroe cores hit the streets Intel might take back the crown but as it stands right now AMD processors are better. Intel dual core processors cannot communicate over the crossbar while AMD processors can. It is like having to drive to the end of the block and back to get to your neighbors house instead of just walking across the grass. All of the AMD dual core processors have Hyper Transport enabled so you are working with two physical cores and two virtual cores. Because of the distance in the physical construction of the AMD processors they actually perform faster then comparable Intel equivalents. This is what spawned AMD's current naming convention in the first place. An AMD X2 3800+ is only a 2ghz processor but performs equivalently to a 3.8ghz Intel. That was the reason for the naming in the first place.

Vista is going to support more multi-threaded applications then are currently supported by XP. With that being said, you want to buy a dual core now to prevent from having to upgrade again in the future.

ok so dual core it is.

thanks cobalt and guys.

I want to keep my cost on the chip to about 275.00

so what would be the right chip and mb around 200.00

can you guys make any suggestions on makes and models.

I love foxconn for intel cause theyre frikin stable as heak.

however I don't think they have any dual core ht amd's.

Aug

ok so dual core it is.

thanks cobalt and guys.

I want to keep my cost on the chip to about 275.00

so what would be the right chip and mb around 200.00

can you guys make any suggestions on makes and models.

I love foxconn for intel cause theyre frikin stable as heak.

however I don't think they have any dual core ht amd's.

Aug

So wait, you mean you can spend a total of $475.00 on the mobo AND processor? Am I reading that right?