As if things were not bad enough.

Thank-You everyone. You have no idea, this is the comfy cozy place where

I come to shelter from the storm. (Gamerscoalition in general) Your posts

are incredibly uplifting. Now for some good news;

My mother went to downtown Toronto this morning for her

final radiation treatment. The mass inside her chest was approx. 7.5cm (3 1/2-4" I guess)

It has been reduced almost half to 4cm (1 3/4"-2") Doctors said they are keeping

they're fingers crossed, but are talking REMISSION!!! I have no doubt of God's

magnificent works involved here. Myself, I'm doing ok, but I slacked off from the

swimming the last couple of weeks, and this being a Monday, it's time to get

back at it. Off to the pool!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I have not been around very much lately, though I'm still in the forums

everyday. CSS has taken a serious backseat to WoW, which I picked

up with the sole intent of occupying my time during the day. It is without a doubt

the crack of the video game world!

On to more pressing matters;

My mother has taken a turn for the worst. After all the chemotherapy and

the radiation, after the the battles with C-dip (sp?) e-coli & all the other nasty's

under the sun, the doctors have found that the tumor has started to grow, there

is now a second spot, & it has also spread to the lymph nodes in the chest.

The battle has now switched from recovery to palative care. There is nothing

left for doctors to do but administer comfort. It will not be long now. I'm sorry

I have not posted regarding this....It looked like we had really made a breakthrough

for a little while & I thought everything was going to be ok. I am now praying

for mercy. Thank-You everyone for your support.

Edited by wayfarer

I have not been around very much lately, though I'm still in the forums

everyday. CSS has taken a serious backseat to WoW, which I picked

up with the sole intent of occupying my time during the day. It is without a doubt

the crack of the video game world!

On to more pressing matters;

My mother has taken a turn for the worst. After all the chemotherapy and

the radiation, after the the battles with C-dip (sp?) e-coli & all the other nasty's

under the sun, the doctors have found that the tumor has started to grow, there

is now a second spot, & it has also spread to the lymph nodes in the chest.

The battle has now switched from recovery to palative care. There is nothing

left for doctors to do but administer comfort. It will not be long now. I'm sorry

I have not posted regarding this....It looked like we had really made a breakthrough

for a little while & I thought everything was going to be ok. I am now praying

for mercy. Thank-You everyone for your support.

Sorry to hear about this. I will be praying for you and your family

after a very long night, my mother, Brenda Kostuik, passed away at 7:05AM est.

this morning.

I apologize to everyone for venting here, especially after semi leaving GC for

WOW. I thought it best for all of us to give closure here. (though im not really

gone just a break from CSS) THANK YOU everyone here, your thoughts and

prayers have meant far more to me than I have given just due. God bless.

Way, I'm sorry for the hurt you are going through. I wish I could take it away. May God grant you clarity and peace during these times of mourning.

You know she's in a good place and she's not hurting.

Chat me up if you want to vent.

Brian

My prayers are with you and your family in your time of loss my friend. Cancer took my father a few years ago as well. Although I will say it was a relief to see that he was no longer in pain, it took me a year to truely get over his death. Don't get annoyed with everyone who says " If you need anything" or other cliche' statements that are made during this time. All the people are trying to say is that they care, they are sorry for the pain you are feeling and they wish that they could do more than make inadequate statements.

Stand firm on your faith in the Lord, stand strong with your family members, lean on your friends and you'll be ok. It just will take some time. God bless you with His peace.

• 2 years later...

I just reread this entire thread and cried my eyes out. It took me right back to the events as they transpired. I can't begin to

say how much this communnity has helped me deal with the trials I have faced, and I continue to face. Every three months my

sister's and I go to Sunnybrook hospital in Toronto for routine updates/checkups and (hopefully) any information regarding the disease

we face, (Familial ALS)

I wanted to post up for those that still actively read these forums about a tiny bit of information we came across at our last

sunnybrook appointment.

ALS itself, is quite rare, and the inherited version is rearer still. But the inherited version gives doctors something to track,

and so our doctors have been telling us that there WILL be something for us, it's only a matter of time. Incredible amounts

of reseach has been going on in the general area of genetics. When my sister's and I were leaving sunnybrook a couple weeks

ago, everything seemed the usual, nothing new, we were going to meet for lunch. My younger sister and I commute together from

Barrie, a small city about an hour away from Toronto. The hospital is very busy when we go down, and it's not uncommon for

us to get seperated at times throughout the course of the appointment. After waiting for a little while in the car, my sister came out and

we started out to meet with my other sister for lunch. Pam, the sister I was travelling with, has done extensive volenteer work for the

ALS society, and sat on the board of directors until retiring late last year. While I was waiting in the car, she was chatting with one of the

neurologist's that she used to sit with on the board of directors with the ALS society.

When she got into the car, she calmly explained to me that the doctor had informed her of a doctor in the U.S that was successfully working

on a procedure called RNA interference or RNAi. Apparently the precedure has successfully

passed the mouse and monkey stages, and has now been given the green light for human testing. RNAi is no stranger to us, we have read clippings

about it in muscular dystrophy newsletters for a few years, but when I heard that I turned to my sister and said, "well *&%^ that's fantastic news!"

Timothy Miller is the neurologist working on this. We have contacted him

and confirmed that he is indeed working on our exact genetic condition, and that he is hoping to get the human test phase(1) underway sometime this fall.

We can not take part in test phase one, as they are looking for people that have been freshly diagnosed, and also U.S citezens. Phase(2) will occur when/if

phase(1) is successful and will include my sister's and myself in some way shape or form. I can not express to anyone how much of a "light at the end of the tunnel"

this is for me. I have just moved into a condominium bymyself, and the kind of thoughts running through my head have been dark indeed. Not suicidal, just dispair

at how things were/are seemingly unfolding. I will try to post up information here as I get it, but as the first phase of the study will not get underway until the fall at the earliest,

information will be at a premium for a little while at least.

• 1 month later...

God bless you and you sister Wayfarer. It's encouraging indeed to hear that there are research developments underway that may lead to treatment options for you guys. We'll continue to keep you, and Dr. Mills in our prayers that his research will prove successful.

Take care my friend and keep in touch.

Wolfsblood.

• 6 months later...