Royal Family Kids Camp 2006

Fatty

It's that time of year again!

Many of you from the community stepped up last year so that the people of GamersCoalition could become a corporate sponsor for a golf outing that raised funds for Royal Family Kids' Camp.

That whole thread is here. A big thanks for that support. Please read through at least my initial post if you are unfamiliar with what RFKC is.

In a word, RFKC is a camp for abused and neglected kids. We take the kids to a camp for a week and just love on em.

Here's the National Site.

Here's our camp page. (But I'm not sure it's even been altered from the original template yet.

Anyways, I'm not looking for $1,000 this year. This year I'd like to, as an online community, sponsor ONE camper. The cost for a camper is roughly $350, so I figure we could shoot for $400 and call it even.

Last year I had some hefty sponsors, as high as $200 from one person in our community. I was just floored at the support, and loved to brag to people about how a group of people, many whom I've never met in person, can draw together to support something like this.

A little background for those that are new: I worked as a counselor for 3 years through another church and then helped our church start our own camp as part of the administration team. This will be my 3rd year as a dean in our camp (basically, my job is just to take care of the men counselors' needs during the week, make sure things are done right, etc)

We spend time year-round just to make this one week camp take place....and every minute is worth it.

However, to run a camp costs money. So I'm here to ask the community around GC to sponsor a camper. Donate what you will or what you can, $10, $20, $50, or whatever. All it would take would be 8 people who are willing to give up a night at Outback (for me this would be sacrifice!!) and save that $50 food tab and help send a kid to camp.

I think I brought this up last year. If you're trying to figure out where you'd get this money, cause you're young and broke......dunno, when I was young and broke I still went to the bar with Mini and dropped $30 to $50 in an evening like I was investing in something. Take a night, stay home, and join with us to sponsor a camper.

I'll tally the contributions here. Please make the title of the email RFKC 2006 so it's easy for me to track. Send it to rfkc@gamerscoalition.com and bump this topic saying you did! Thanks so much!

On behalf of the kids,

Mr. Don (my camp name :D )

Wow, I just realized that I started this post within 4 days to the year of the last one. Freaky!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah as a mag said, I think this community has more potential than to sponsor just one kid. If people are as generous as they were last year then 2 kids would be a better target, perhaps a boy and a girl.

I'll be sending a bit in later on this evening :peace:

Bub - that's a paypal addy, I set it up for this.

Thanks to all so far. I'll keep a running total.

Right now we're at $130! Great start!

I'll answer a good question someone asked in email here. The question was about pictures of our sponsored kids.

No pictures of any kids leave the camp except in a memory book with the campers (and of pictures only of themselves). This is due to the sensitive issues with these kid. Some are in situations where they are not to be located or identified, as it would be a threat to them, etc. No last names are used at the camp, etc. It's a very secure and highly regulated operation.

Any kids you see on the websites aren't actually campers, in case you're wondering. Sometimes they use images where the face isn't shown or it's blurred out.

what happens if we only raise a kid and a half... lol

Just have to send the poor kid home on Wednesday.

Last year we did over 1,000 and were "corporate sponsors" for the golf outing.

I'm not going to push. I'm still so proud of those that donated last year.

Nothing else has come in.

I'd say we have about a month to do this. The golf outing is the Friday after FragFestOhio.

I'll email the organizer now and ask him. I just received my request to come back as a sponsor...nice booklet with all last year's sponsors in it.

Don,

You were one day ahead of my second mailing. In an IDEAL world, which

we rarely live in, I would KNOW about the sponsorships by June 15th,

with payment received by June 30. That being said, I know that I will

definitely get last minute entrants. In terms of graphics, I will

likely print the Large banner by June 30, so that would likely be the

date.

Is that helpful? I would, obviously, REALLY appreciate your support

once again.

God Bless,

Brian

Right now we're at $130. Every little bit counts. This is something that I invest a lot of time in, else I wouldn't come to you for support. Small donations of $20 will add up quickly.

You might be thinking, heck, I don't even have the $50 to join GC (or likewise "I already spent $50 to join GC"). Do me a favor and forget about GC for a moment, cause the two have nothing to do with each other. This is about kids who got served a tough situation without their choosing.

This is about the kid who sleeps under his bed because he's afraid of the visitor.

This is about the girl who lashes out at everyone and won't let her guard down because those in her life who were supposed to love her did not, they only used her and hurt her.

You see these kids in the store. You've sat by them in school. You read about them in the news.

This camp doesn't happen without people willing to pitch in. We've got the manpower with people willing to give up a week of their summer. We just need to see it through financially.

Is it going to happen? Yes, of course. Even if you decide not to toss in a few bucks? Yep, it'll still happen and lives will be impacted. I'm just asking you to play a part in it.

Won't you join me?

Hows the paying by credit/debit cards without a paypal account set up going?

How much have we raised so far, have we got an arm and a leg into the camp yet?

I just sent off an email to paypal to investigate this. I don't really want to set up a webpage to accept payments, but might be useful beyond this....anyways, finding out what is needed. Thanks!

Hows the paying by credit/debit cards without a paypal account set up going?

How much have we raised so far, have we got an arm and a leg into the camp yet?

I just sent off an email to paypal to investigate this. I don't really want to set up a webpage to accept payments, but might be useful beyond this....anyways, finding out what is needed. Thanks!

I believe you have to have your merchant account set up this way, and it costs $20/month. I have my business set up to accept credit cards w/o a paypal account already. If anyone wants to launder it thru there, I'll forward it to fatty. http://reynardlaw.com

Just sent in a donation also.

Up to $460!! Thanks!

Very generous!

Every little bit counts, guys....a handful of donations and we'll make this happen!

Tell you what...I'll match the biggest donation, and right now it's $150. Very impressive! So we're that much closer to $1,000!

So, until I have to jack my contribution up because someone else feels the tug, we're at $630, leaving us only $370 to go!