SLi Question: Do I Need the Exact same card for SLI?

Guest Dude-

back in the day, OCing used to really stress your components out. Nowdays,

Your 3200+ and 3500+ are the same chip with a different multiplier.

Its all the same, they just figure they can squeeze another 30 bucks out of you because they set a varible somewhere to 11x rather than 10x.

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
back in the day, OCing used to really stress your components out. Nowdays,

Your 3200+ and 3500+ are the same chip with a different multiplier.

Its all the same, they just figure they can squeeze another 30 bucks out of you because they set a varible somewhere to 11x rather than 10x.

whoa, I did not know that. can I just change the multiplier or should I be messing with the FSB and voltages as well? I dont know a ton about overclocking AMD.

(edited)

you can only lower the multiplier on todays amd cpus. a simple overclock for you to try would be to turn you fsb up to 240. just make sure your ram is set to 333mhz. if you link me to your motherboard manual (i'm feeling lazy today), i can tell you for sure what to change. your 3200+ should do 2.4ghz on stock volts without any fuss.

edit - also if you could tell me what mushkin ram you have it would help greatly.

Edited by Cujo

Back in the days, it used to be that way too. I had a Gateway 133MHz. The chip used when a 133MHz was bought was the exact same chip that was used when a 166MHz or 200MHz was bought. All you had to do was move the cpu multiplier jumper (this was before it was a BIOS setting, at least on the Gateway's) to OC it and pay attention to temps (no cpu fans at this time either).

BTW, whatever overclocking you do...take it slowly...I cannot stress that enough. If you pop like 10-20 on your FSB right away, you take the risk of frying something...expensive.

Take it from my first hand experience...i've done it as a noob.

entirely not possibly in today's computers. you will fry nothing even if you crank the voltages and fsb to impossible levels. your comp will just fail to boot. jumping to 240fsb at once should be no issue and i've done it many times on many setups without hitches.

Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guest Dude-
Guests
you can only lower the multiplier on todays amd cpus. a simple overclock for you to try would be to turn you fsb up to 240. just make sure your ram is set to 333mhz. if you link me to your motherboard manual (i'm feeling lazy today), i can tell you for sure what to change. your 3200+ should do 2.4ghz on stock volts without any fuss.

edit - also if you could tell me what mushkin ram you have it would help greatly.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/manual...ies=1&model=306

Im not sure which Mushkin it is. It is unbuffered, no ECC. Not sure on the timing, but its DDR400.

Still, I wouldn't do a jump higher than 5 at a time for the fsb. If I know that the cpu will go higher, I might do 10 at a time for the first one or two, but then I would stick to 5 or less until it fails to boot and then I would drop it down.

dweezil, some boards like slow overclocking. most are just fine going straight to 240.

dude, it should say what your mushkin is on the side of the heat spreaders. i need that info if you want proper help.