SATA drivers

Where can I find some SATA drivers for my build next weekend? I am pretty sure i need the drivers cause XP Pro (sp 2) doesnt have them, so I need to find them right? Please correct me if i'm wrong, or point me in the right direction if im right...

First build, be patient with me! lol :halo:

The issue actually comes down to what controls the SATA. If the SATA ports you are installing windows with are controlled by the southbridge Windows has drivers built into the operating system. If it is controlled any other way you will probably need a floppy drive and SATA drivers.

you shouldn't need drivers for an sata drive unless you're using raid. i've never had an issue installing xp on a single sata drive.

I have 2 x 250GB WD SATA2's that I'll be using in RAID 0 if things go as planned. I'm not worried about backing stuff up until school starts in September, so i figured RAID 0 was the way to go. I shoulda mentioned that fact :spin2:

I just read today that I can get the RAID image from my motherboard resource cd (which i do not have yet, cause i'm still waiting for the mobo), so is this true? And are there sata drivers on this cd as well? I am also picking up a floppy today, and an anti-static wrist strap... its almost time! lol

(edited)

Ok, so the build went well today (first build, only took me 3 hours). Tomorrow is the drivers/xp/games... :D cant wait for it!!! though, i do remember someone telling me to be patient and get it all working before i try and game. dont worry, iwill

The catch is, i lost the net at my place, so i have to run to my sisters (which is where i am now) to dl the drivers etc and then run back to mine to install them. Should be fun though! And thanks for the luck wished, it was most definitely put to good use!

Edit: oh yeah, and the big typhoon - so far, it's big, very big, a little hard to work around, but keeps the cpu idle at 27C so far... :D:D:D

Edited by DarkArchon

i just bought a 300 gig SATA drive for 80 bucks....

I cannot get it to boot, I have a good feeling its because Im trying to install the first XP rather than SP1 or SP2.

The orignal XP can only read 127 Gigs. It will start the install and after the first re-boot my system will NOT boot from the hard drive.

I need a SP2 install disc.

(edited)

I have to keep turning my PSU off and on to get it to finally... "start?" when i move my pc. is this normal? it was fine all last night, then i had to move it to my sis's for getting xp and drivers... it's a little frustrating. The power light on the mobo keeps blinking faintly in time with the ticking i hear from teh psu. last night it was fine once it got going...

*EDIT*

I found the problem :( When i toyed with the main line, i eventually got the power to go on. I think it was bent a little bit too much, cause when i straightened it it seemed to get rid of the problem. is this something to be quite concerned about? Should i send it back to enermax? (it's an enermax noisetaker 600w)

Edited by DarkArchon

i would be concerned with any power fluctuation caused my moving the cables around.

Yeah, thats what I thought. I fiddled around with it today, and nothing changed. Its very strange, but if nothing is happening, oh well. Thanks cujo.