Strange CSS Graphics Issue - Models

whudats

Hey guys. I was messing with my autoexec config, and I ended up messing up the models somehow. I tried deleting all the configs and cache/settings, etc., but it didn't go away. I don't want to have to reinstall. I've attached a picture of what it looks like. Notice the dead T's with the green tops and the one in the snow suit to the right have a "shimmery" or reflective look to them, while the model in the camo pants looks normal. All the CT models have the same shimmery effect as well.

It isn't really that distracting, but it's not normal. Any suggestions? Is there anyway to completely reset the video options to default settings? I can post my autoconfig too if anyone wants to see it (if it will help).

Thanks!

post-1030-1149563438_thumb.jpg

You can try two things,

mat_bumpmap 1

or

mat_specular 0

If your bumpmaps somehow turned off it will cause characters to be very shiny. But if this isn't the case, you can turn off the shineyness by using the specular 0 command.

I've got the same issue on one of the couches in cs_office. Never cared that much, but then again that's only one couch on one map. mat_specular 0 will clear the problem but will also mean no specularity at all on other objects. Since cubemaps are pre-built, you can't see reflections of anything useful anyway, so if you don't mind losing the specularity it's not going to hurt your game.

As a more extreme solution, first verify the integrity of the game cache (under Local Files in CS:S properties in Steam), then if that shows nothing you could try deleting all or part of your cstrike folder (models, materials, cfg might be a good start) and as a last resort just delete all of cstrike and then the CS:S GCF files. This would lead to a lengthy download though.

Maybe though if you wait someone will know how to fix this.

The only file you should need to delete is the clientregistry.blob file. This will force steam to re-create a new one. I have found that this fixes quite a bit of what ails ya in CSS. :peace:

I can tell you whats wrong with it. Look at the top right corner.....lies..all lies.

LOL Shazz... I was wondering if you would notice. I was going to throw in a disclaimer that "Names were changed to protect the innocent." But, you aren't, so...

:D

I did the mat_specular 0 one and it worked, but I think it changes the way the overall game looks for the worse. And no, my graphics settings aren't too high, but thanks. This only happened after I started messing with my autoconfig.

I think I will try deleting the clientregistry.blob file...

(edited)
are you using fraps?

What the heck are fraps? A kind of dessert?

Alright discombobulated, I can't tell if you are serious or not. But I do have two 7800GT's in SLI, if that helps explain the high settings...

As for the "I think I will try deleting the clientregistry.blob file..." idea, it didn't make a difference. Only the mat_specular 0 command works.

Edited by whudats

Did you change or delete your autoexec before you loaded the game after you deleted the .blob file?

I would like to see your autoexec.

I did not. Here is my autoexec...

fps_max 100

cl_cmdbackup 2

cl_allowupload 1

sv_unlag 1

map_bumpmap 1

mat_specular 1

cl_smooth 1

cl_smoothtime .01

cl_interp .01

cl_crosshaircolor 0

cl_dynamiccrosshair 0

cl_scalecrosshair 1

cl_crosshairscale 1680

cl_crosshairalpha "150"

cl_crosshairusealpha 0

crosshair 1

cl_observercrosshair 1

alias "+dynduck" "+duck;cl_dynamiccrosshair 1"

alias "-dynduck" "-duck;cl_dynamiccrosshair 0"

bind shift "+dynduck"

hud_fastswitch 1

hud_centerid 1

m_pitch .022

m_side 0.8

m_yaw 0.022

m_filter 0

bind "f" "go_slot5"

bind "c" "go_slot6"

bind "MWHEELDOWN" "go_slot3"

bind "MWHEELUP" "go_slot1"

//fastswitch bug fix

alias go_slot1 "use weapon_mp5navy; use weapon_m4a1; use weapon_m249; use weapon_p90; go_slot1b"

alias go_slot1b "use weapon_scout; use weapon_awp; use weapon_g3sg1; use weapon_sg550; go_slot1c"

alias go_slot1c "use weapon_sg552; use weapon_aug; use weapon_tmp; use weapon_mac10; use weapon_ak47; go_slot1d"

alias go_slot1d "use weapon_ump45; use weapon_xm1014; use weapon_m3; use weapon_famas; use weapon_galil"

alias go_slot3 "use weapon_glock; use weapon_usp; use weapon_deagle; use weapon_p228; use weapon_elite; use weapon_fiveseven"

alias go_slot5 "use weapon_hegrenade; use weapon_flashbang; use weapon_smokegrenade"

alias go_slot6 "use weapon_c4"

cl_cmdrate 101

cl_interpolate 0

cl_lagcomp_errorcheck 1

cl_lagcompensation 1

cl_updaterate 101

cl_rate 20000

cl_smooth 0

rate 25000

r_3dnow 1

r_mmx 1

r_sse 1