Werewolf: Forum based game

Silver-Bullet

I've been playing this on another forum I vist, and it is ALOT! of fun. I suggest we try a game, I'll host.

The Rules

Setting Up

Assemble a group of players. An odd number is best, although not absolutely mandatory. There should be at least seven players; nine or eleven is better.

The Moderator, who runs the game and manages the rules gives each player a random role to play in the local Pokerville village:

* One "Moderator"

* Two "Werewolfs"

* One "Seer"

* All the rest "Villagers"

Each player will be PM'ed their individual role but must keep it secret. Two or more players are now secretly werewolves. They are trying to slaughter everyone in the village. Everyone else is an innocent human villager; but one of the villagers secretly has the Second Sight, and can detect the taint of lycanthropy. The Seer has dreams at night which reveal the actual roll in the village of one person.

The Game: Night and Day

The game proceeds in alternating night and day phases as humans do on the message board. We begin with Night. The werewolves will find out who each other are via PM or AIM(AIM WORKS BEST!!)and choose to secretly kill one of the villagers the fist night of the game.

The Seer then PM's(OR AIMS! MUCH EASIER) the Moderator to ask about one of the players because he has visions in his dream each night, they will then be able to find out if that player is a Werewolf or a Villager.

The moderator begins the thread again, it's daytime. "And you have been torn apart by werewolves." He indicates the person that the werewolves chose. That person is immediately dead and out of the game.

Now it is Day. Daytime is very simple; all the living players gather in the village to lynch somebody. The mob wants bloody justice.

As soon as a majority of players vote for a particular player to die throughout the day in the official thread, the moderator says "Ok, you're dead" and proceeds to continue the story the next day. Basically, with 9 players, the game COULD last up to 5 calendar days on the message board itself.

During the day, there are no restrictions on speech. Any living player can say anything he wants -- truth, misdirection, nonsense, or bareface lie.

Contrariwise, dead players may not speak at all. As soon as the sun comes up and the moderator indicates that someone is dead, he may not speak for the rest of the game. No dying soliloquies allowed. Similarly, as soon as a majority vote indicates that a player has been lynched, he is dead. If he wants to protest his innocence or reveal some information (like the Seer's visions), he has to do it before the vote goes through.

Once a player is lynched, night falls and the cycle repeats. The werewolves (or werewolf) secretly select someone to kill, the Seer (if alive) secretly learns another player's status; then the sun rises, one player is found dead, and the remaining players begin to discuss another lynching. Repeat until one side wins.

Winning:

The humans win if they kill both werewolves.

The werewolves win if they kill all villagers and the Seer.

Wrap-up:

The villagers are trying to figure out who's a werewolf; the werewolves are pretending to be villagers, and trying to throw suspicion on real villagers.

The Seer is trying to throw suspicion on any werewolves he discovers, but without revealing himself to be the Seer (because if he does, the werewolves will almost certainly kill him that night, since he's the greatest threat to werewolf national security.) Of course the Seer can reveal himself at any time, if he thinks it's worthwhile to tell the other players what he's learned. Also of course, a werewolf can claim to be the Seer and "reveal" anything he wants.

The only information the villagers have is what other players say -- and who dies. Accusing someone of being a werewolf is suspicious. Not accusing anyone is also suspicious. Agreeing with another player a lot is suspicious, and therefore so is pretending not to agree with another player. Never voting to kill a particular player is very suspicious for both of them -- unless it's the Seer who knows that player is innocent.

I will gladly answer any questions via PM or AIM. This game is ALOT OF FUN! If played right, it could have you guys occupied for days. Lets just use this thread as a sign up, and then I will make a new topic for the actual game.

(Fatty, if this belongs somewhere else, you can move it. Not sure if I should put it here or web games)

ALright, I posted those rules for a 'turbo' game (under 11 people, games last at tops 3 hours so we play straight), where AIM is necesary to keep the game moving. With real-time clock system, AIM is not neccesary. I just hope everyone will play by the rules and not cheat!

GC Alumni
(edited)

One question: Does the Moderator tell the Seer what his dreams were about? If so, how does he reveal any bit of information without being detected by the werewolves?

What if the werewolves were really lucky and kill the Seer in one night?

Edited by JackieChan

That description for the seer is bad.

During night, the Seer PM's me a name of a living person. I then PM that player back, with the role of the person he/she chose to look at. Its hard to play as a Seer. There are times the Seer should give himself up though, in order to kill the wolves and win the game.

We will start when we have a decent amount. Since this is real time, 15 people will be nice. We will break it down to 3 wolves, 1 seer and 11 villagers.

I really hope no one cheats, there is alot of stratagy in this.

(This is exactly like Mafia, and actually Mafia was based on this)

when does it start? i wouldnt mind playing it but it has to be after the 16th ... thats when i get my computer back and thats when i will be playing 24/7

=) :boing::boing:

I think you guys are missing something. We arent playing a quick-game. We are playing a real time game.

So daytime, will be day time IRL

Nighttime, will be night IRL

With 15 players, the game will last about a week TOPS. It will probably be a bit messy at first, but after everyone gets use to it, it should run smoothly. (how hard can it be if a 16 can play it? :D )

• 4 months later...