Motorcycles

Crowbar

I want to buy a motorcycle possibly next year, so I'm looking for some insights into different kinds of motors, styles, extras and what-have-you. I don't really know anything about bikes except the difference between a croch-rocket and a cruiser. I know I want a cruiser, something with wide handlebars, but not to high. I looked at the Yamaha V-Star bikes and they're pretty nice. Anyway, just want to hear what some of you have to say about bikes you have or bikes you like.

Well I've had both. When I was out of high school I did the crotch rocket thing.

It was fun and exciting but kind of dangerous.

Then I got into harleys. Those are great cruisers. I found mine in a paper we have in Indiana calle the bargin finder. (used vehicles and motorcycles) But yamaha and kawasaki...ect with their shaft driven drives are really smooth rides. Belt drives are nice and pretty smooth too. The victory is a nice bike, and depending on what kind of cruiser you want, honda has a pretty good selection too.

It would also depend on what kind of money you want to spend.

Honda VTX1300C great bike.

If you buy one, go here. They sell them for about 2k less than other dealers. Co-worker of mine drove up from San Antonio and bought one. He said the price that's quoted on their website is the price you pay. Then whatever tax, title and licensing fees are for your state. But you don't pay that until you go to your local DMV or Licensing Office.

(edited)

I would start out with a smaller older bike to learn how to ride on. If you go this route you won't cry when you drop you nice 10,000 dollar motorcycle you barely know how to ride. There is also a less chance of you killing yourself by hoping on and doing a buck 40 right into another car. Another thing is that a smaller bike will hold its value and you can more than likely get back what you paid for it.

Go HERE, a good discussion in the car forums.

Edited by NOFX

Im looking for a bike, Im either going to get a Suzuki Bandit, nakes of coarse, or convert a DR350 or DRZ400 to supermoto. Two different bikes, but both of them look dead sexy to me.

I think the important choice is to make sure no matter what you end up purchasing, Always wear a helmet, and also riding jacket and gloves. Helmets protect your head, but roadrash is also something to worry about, and can be just as damaging. Remember the lesson Roethlesberger taught us, and he was riding a Busa without a helmet! :bang:

You should try to take a motorcycle class. Some insurance companies lower your insurance if you do so and it also makes an easier way to get your license. The only downside is that you need to sign up early if you want to take the class. When I took the class last summer in Wisconsin it was 50 some dollars and I know shortly after it was raised to 70. Depending on the state you live in just check out their DMV website and they should led you to a place near you that you can take such a class and ALWAYS WEAR YOUR HELMENT!!

I would recommend before even looking to buy, take the MSF class... motor cycle safety class... every state has it. Makes it easier to get your license.

My boss just bought a v-star 650... his first bike, and he loves it... everything about it.

Start on something small... cruiser would be 600s, if you go the rocket way, start on a 400 or something... don't jump up the ladder too quick.

ride smart and with commen sense, and of course, helmet helmet helmet. Jacket and gloves help too. 8)

yeah, definatly would like to learn on a smaller bike. I believe my brother-in-law still has an old honda, really small, just a farm bike. If he does, I'll go out and ride that for awhile to get used to the feel of a bike. I've only ridden a couple times on small bikes here and there. I'll probably take the MSF class sometime and certainly will wear a helmet, at least till I'm plenty confident on a bigger bike.

I'm glad to hear the V-Star is a good bike. Harly Fatboys are probably my favorite, but I don't have the $25k to spend on one. A mid-size V-Star is only about $10k new, and I'll most likely look for a used one.

Another bike to look at would be a BMW F650, theres an off road type and a street one. When I am able to spend my money on a new bike thats what I am going to get. A nice feature about them is if you get a 2001(i think this is the year) or newer the gas tank is under the seat removing all that top heavy weight found on alot of other bikes.

Got experience with bikes? If not I would suggest signing up for the riding course first. They supply the bikes & you can even get your endorcement at the end of the class.

Course if you were experienced you would know you want a harley:)

Got experience with bikes? If not I would suggest signing up for the riding course first. They supply the bikes & you can even get your endorcement at the end of the class.

Course if you were experienced you would know you want a harley:)

negative harley's in my mind anyways are overrated and cost too much for what you get