"Compound" - Map analysis

Guest Careful Aim

Guest Careful Aim
Guest Careful Aim
Guest Careful Aim
Guests

The compound map is one I really like, especially playing from CT. CT must blitz, which makes this map kind of unusual. Because there are 2.5 places to blitz from, T has their hands full. (I count hopping over the fence in the middle only 1/2 of an approach because it's so vulnerable. The other two are the main gates, and the side gate to the right of CT spawn).

Once in, a CT player has lots of juicy ways to flank. In addition, T's camping in the hostage shed are making a mistake, because they are quite vulnerable to flashes, and through-wall fire. T's have a tough problem defending both points because of the building in the center.

The map's play can be very dynamic, like a basketball game.

I think the reason compound gets a bad rep is because CT tends to play it too slow by creeping up to the main gate, for example. A few CT get picked off by T snipers, and the rest huddle around, acting scared, and getting popped.

Much like dust_2 or piranesi, this map has a lot to teach players about sensing the distribution of the opposition, and how to hit strongly where the opponents are weak. I think the map is a lot of fun and would like to see it on rotation.

Peace

before it comes up, compound isn't any more an awpfest than italy or at times, office. it's the nature of hostie/cs maps.

that said, our evening rotation is the only place this would fit. in the past, compound has emptied the server during any other timeslot. problem is, we've already got a lot of "risky" maps (in terms of holding traffic). here's what the evening looks like:

de_dust2

de_cpl_mill

cs_office

de_contra

de_aztec

de_villa

de_train

de_dust

de_cpl_fire

de_cbble

de_piranesi

de_inferno

cs_italy

de_prodigy

de_nuke

maybe if we dump prodigy and put it after nuke? inbetween cbble and piranesi?

Guest Careful Aim
Guest Careful Aim
Guest Careful Aim
Guests
maybe if we dump prodigy and put it after nuke? inbetween cbble and piranesi?

Works for me. I'm pretty tired of prodigy myself, esp as CT.

Oh yeah, another thing you might want to experiment with is lowering the threshhold for rockthevote. It always seems like when there is actual consensus, the server is 2 or 3 votes shy of changing. Is this something you can set as a percentage of active players? In the end the high-threshold results in reduced traffic because people leave rather than vote, because they know its hopeless.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

lol, the neverending map fights.... my least favorite map right now is italy, perhaps because its always been very low on my favorites list and now we have it on a 5-6 map rotation ALL THE TIME. sigh.

but for some reason italy brings in the money. :unsure:

Anyways, I digress, i DO like compound, wouldn't mind seeing it in the rotation, though I can't put it above or below prodigy.

Edited by RoGuEmX

aztec can never leave, i love that map as a t, i love to call plays and strats for the t team. it totally involves teamwork on the part of the t's.

compound is fun too. one way to make it very fair would be remove awp, and everyone knows how partial i am to that gun. but traffic is what keeps me employed.

holla

• 2 weeks later...