Synthetic Oil?

Ice_Berge_00

So the age old, or not so old, question. Is syntetic oil worth it?

I've thought about using it in my 2005 Avalanche but haven't yet.

A fitting automobile for you Ice.

Conventional oil is what is put into the engine when you buy it.

I ran Conventional oil in my car for the first 15000 miles then after that ran Mobil 1.

Never seen a problem...actually, it seemed to run better and the oil was cleaner.

dont wait to long before putting in synthetic in. once your engine gets use to the organic oil then (50,000 miles, give or take) then you cannot switch. i thought of getting synthetic on my car but i have just hit the 250,000 mile mark and i found out if i did i would be blowing a ton of white and black smoke.

When the piston rings get use to expanding so much with the organic stuff then once you put in the smaller molicule synthetic, you will burn oil and loose performance.

Blue Print Enginges www.blueprintengines.com ( I think) recommends breaking in the engine with natural oil and then switching to synthetic. They are a great engine builder, and I can say that my old 85 Iroc was a beast. It'd smoke Corvettes and other hot rods.

Lucas has the best, most over engineered products and are worth the money but any synthetic like MObil1 is worth the price. Your 2005 should have enough miles on it that it'd be worth switching for sure.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/tech_tips/...tails&tech_id=9

• 2 weeks later...

Sythetic is worth it, but beware on some motorcycles, as many synth's have a 'friction modifier' which are additives to make the oil even more slippery. But if you have a 'wet clutch' as they are called, ie a clutch bathed in the motor oil, it can cause it to slip, and damage it.

Other than that little tidbit, run synth if you can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Synthetic oil is a great product, the main benefits are the fact that the oil doesnt break down as easily, even in extreme use, and also that the dirt and other particles that are supposed to go into your oil filter, can often just fall to the bottom of the oil pan with regular oil, where with synthetic, the particles are better suspended in the oil so that more of them actually make it to the filter, which is why it is VERY important to get a good filter, one made to be used with synthetic, or extreme duty.

Even though you can let the oil go longer between changes, i always change the filter at about 3000, then the oil at about 6000.

And there is NO truth to the rumors that you cant go back to regular oil...you can even add regular oil in a pinch if you are low and have no access to synthetic.....you will just negate the benefits of sythetic, and you also dont have to wait 50k to start using it....10k is plenty.

I agree, Lucas is TOP NOTCH, and Mobil is great as well....Mobil was the first company to produce engine oil...so they have it down :peace:

If you have a supplier for it, I recommend AMSOIL. I ran that oil in my truck and all my lawn equipment when I had my own lawn service.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx

This stuff is incredible. I used to work in the auto repair industry and changed oil with other synthetics and nothing compares to it. When I change to AMSOIL in my truck, the engine already had 120,000 miles on it. The engine smoothed out so well that it did not vibrate and completely changed tone. I checked the oil after 3000 miles and it was slightly low, but the color hadn't changed from when it was poured out of the bottle. I have since replaced that truck but still have it in the lawn equipment.

But I also have to agree that Mobil 1 is great as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go with Mobil 1 synthetic Truck and SUV. That said, I've got 23k miles on my truck now and just put the mobil 1 in. My brother's been putting it in his for awhile now, and considering he works cementwork and farming I'm sure he's rougher on his truck than I will be on mine.

Thanks for all the info guys.

• 4 weeks later...
dont wait to long before putting in synthetic in. once your engine gets use to the organic oil then (50,000 miles, give or take) then you cannot switch. i thought of getting synthetic on my car but i have just hit the 250,000 mile mark and i found out if i did i would be blowing a ton of white and black smoke.

When the piston rings get use to expanding so much with the organic stuff then once you put in the smaller molicule synthetic, you will burn oil and loose performance.

hmmm...250K mi, not a strong argument against conventional oil. ;) I have always used Mobil1 in my vehicles and have had a good experience. I think reg changes is most important...

(edited)

Okay, b4 I start commenting on everyone's posts. I'd like to say, that my father is an Amsoil dealer, and I have been exposed to LOTS of information on petroleum oil and synthetic. First, I must say... it's worth it. NO MATTER the miles, NO MATTER the make/model/year. Personally I ran Amsoil from a Bronco II (2nd owner) from 150K to 200K and being high miles, made it all that much better to put synthetic in it. My winter starts were not a problem what so ever. I even drove it to FF05!!!! A 5 hour trip.

I will continue on more if you'd like. but lets get to your posts lol.

Amsoil's website => They have more than just OIL too!

Check out their history, They have had synthetic oil since I believe 1972! They know what they are doing. Mobil and Quaker state, etc are just getting the jist of synthetics. (they dont specify ANYTHING about 25k or 1 year though. Some have 7500 miles or over 3000. But what is over 3000. 3001? 3010? 150000? Who knows, they wont tell you.

------------------------------------------------

Blue Print Enginges www.blueprintengines.com ( I think) recommends breaking in the engine with natural oil and then switching to synthetic. They are a great engine builder, and I can say that my old 85 Iroc was a beast. It'd smoke Corvettes and other hot rods.

Lucas has the best, most over engineered products and are worth the money but any synthetic like MObil1 is worth the price. Your 2005 should have enough miles on it that it'd be worth switching for sure.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/tech_tips/...s&tech_id=9

I agree, breaking in your engine with the oil it came with is key in making sure you get all the tiny shavings out from a car being made. Change over to Synthetic after 3k Miles.

Use synthetic in both vehicles. Works great! Plus i don't have to worry about getting an oil change every 3,000 miles.

AGREED!!!! With Amsoil. Their conventional, (meaning not their super stuff, or their 7500 series), is rated at 25,000 miles or 1 year per oil change. With changing your oil filter at 6 months. They recently released a nanofiber oil filter that allows for you to only change your oil filter once with the oil change!!!! (I love that)

If you send your vehicle to a mechanic, your saving right there on labor costs. Of course, you are spending more $ upfront. The cost savings come in long term. When you only have to take your car to get serviced for oil changes once a year. Or later down the road, you wont have to get a head gasket changed. or a piston ring wont seize up. If you like to change your own oil to save $ (which I do) What if your 3000 miles ended in December or January? Get down on the cold froznen ground. Maybe you have a heated garage, awesome, but do you still want to get out there and touch all the cold parts? I can keeping going. It's not fun is my point! Did I mention the smoother start ups during the cold winter? (Ask, and I will explain why: I hope you believe me though :P)

Sythetic is worth it, but beware on some motorcycles, as many synth's have a 'friction modifier' which are additives to make the oil even more slippery. But if you have a 'wet clutch' as they are called, ie a clutch bathed in the motor oil, it can cause it to slip, and damage it.

Other than that little tidbit, run synth if you can.

Amsoil does NOT use oil modifers. All those lame commercials where you can add this to your car, even after it was emptied of all the oil is a load in a babies diaper!! Oil additives = BAD & Waste of your money and time. They have a line of Motorcycle oil too, includes quads and snow mobiles and 2 cycle engines and 4 cycle engines. Which I use too. I have a 1982 Yamaha MX 100 (when yamaha was red, lol) It has been running on Amsoil and we have had NO mechanical problems what so ever! My family has about 6 dirt bikes and 2 road bikes (1 is a suped up scooter, lol) All of which use Amsoil. All of which range from 70s bike, to brand new. On the dirt bikes.. 1 kick and it's running! (maybe Ill show a video of me touching the bike when it was cold and then kickstarting it once, with my new phone :) ) if anyone cares to see.

synthetic oil = snake oil. plus all that other crap they try to sell you..

SNAKE OIL.. meaning, if it actually does somthing, its so small and minute that its worthless for the price

what's so small and minute? I'd rather pay a few dollars more (good clint eastwood movie) to know, from expirence, that it's worth it in the long run. Grant, if you buy a car and sell it in 3 years, you might not see some of my points, but it's also a great selling feature that it was taken care of with synthetic oil!!!! Cant go wrong with Amsoil. (sorry if I sound like I am trying to sell it to you, but I've seen so much, dealt with so many ppl trying to tell me Amsoil is crap and "I like changing my oil!" LOL ok. If you take the time to research oil, like you would buying a new computer, you can see the benefits it has to offer. I hope to help you with any questions you may have.

All I run is Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Mobil 1 is cleaner after 6000 miles than with regular oil.

I know you are spending more $ for that synthetic. yet still changing it every 6k miles?? I hope not shazzz :(

If you have a supplier for it, I recommend AMSOIL. I ran that oil in my truck and all my lawn equipment when I had my own lawn service.

This stuff is incredible. I used to work in the auto repair industry and changed oil with other synthetics and nothing compares to it. When I change to AMSOIL in my truck, the engine already had 120,000 miles on it. The engine smoothed out so well that it did not vibrate and completely changed tone. I checked the oil after 3000 miles and it was slightly low, but the color hadn't changed from when it was poured out of the bottle. I have since replaced that truck but still have it in the lawn equipment.

Great credibility right here. Also another point, my father put Amsoil in his 1965 Chevy Corvette Stingray and had it sit for 2 years (his baby) He sent an oil sample to see if it was ok or if it needed to be changed, since it was over 1 year's suggested life. And the tests came back saying it was like new. Very few combustion elements, of course, and the oil did not degrade.

I Strongly recommend Amsoil to anyone that drives a car. I know there are some die-hard fans of their brand oil, and wont budge for anyone. Well I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to the guys that are willing to learn, save some money, and better the life of their car. (It's not fun sitting on the side of the road 1/2 way to your vacation spot in 90 degree weather) I'm proud to say I have not been in that situation. I have to believe that Amsoil has helped prevent that.

Edited by ZesteR

If anyone is interested, I'm an AMSOIL Dealer. It's good stuff.