FFO 06 IN REVIEW

Fatty

As far as the food stuff goes, we're gonna have that more automated and pre planned next year.

The only thing I would like to see in the poker tourneys, would be possibly more of them, maybe even some limit tables to avoid all the pre flop testosterone betting ( I hate that).

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's like stock vs noscope.

Or drunk vs. non-drunk.

Wait - I know! We need to have the Bub School of Poker! :biglaugha:

As far as the food stuff goes, we're gonna have that more automated and pre planned next year.

Clueless is Da Food Man! Cool!

BTW - the Arabica food was great!

Edited by Dingy

I think things went very well...really everything did. I think the improvements you stated above are positive.

I would ask that when you schedule events you bear in mind those who would rather game as you did this year. For me the "guilt free gaming" is what really makes the weekend:)

The only time this happened this ff was during the tourney when there were no pub servers. Sounds like the above server constraints were a cause of that. I also heard there were technical issues with folks starting up their own servers & having others attach.

Would it be worth while for those with extra PC's to bring them to use as servers? Even a slow server is better than no server.

As to the 18 end of things - how do other groups do this at their LAN parties (or don't they)?

Any thought on allowing under 18 folks for a specific period of time (like a curfew of 11PM or 12AM)?

As to the, "No one under the age of 18 unless accompanied by a parent who is gaming." I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with are the ones under 18 without parents, because we shouldn't have to moderate and watch those minors with all the alchohol around.

As to those 18-20 they are legaly considered adults and should be responsible enough to conduct themselves in a mature manor. I am not condoning the drinking of those who are 18-20 but an occasional drink is not a problem with me as long as they do it responsibly and don't get carried away.

Sorry to those who where under age and didn't drink but it takes just one to ruin it for the rest.

I don't know who brought it up, but whoever got on the pizza guy for not delivering the pizza to his

seat was lame. I think that if you order it, you should watch for it. And if it isn't claimed, I'll pay the guy

(tip included ) and eat it.

I ordered a pizza and, asked that the pizza be delivered to the ballroom...I had no intention of making the delivery person find my seat.

I apologize to those I offended.

edit - Next year if i'm able to go ill do a better job of watching for the pizza delivery person.

Edited by Rashad

Well I had an absolute blast again. There were a lot of improvements from last year and I am sure next year will have even more.

I hate to say it but I would also agree to the gamers under 18 needing an adult gaming guardian. I can only think of a few moments where I was truely annoyed but needless to say it took a little away from my experience. Names need not be mentioned as they already have in previous threads. Mav's son was an absolute gentleman and I hope he had a blast! I was able to have a few words with him in the mens room. I forget exactly what he said but I walked away laughing!

The two biggest improvements would be the food organizing and the network issues. The 3 amigos from Dayton thought there was time left in the poker tourny to grab a bite to eat. Well.....we missed the picts. :(

I realize there were mostly CS players but more than a handful expressed an interest in BF2. We just couldn't seem to get the issues worked out and BF2 is not much fun 2 -vs- 2. (Sorry if I beat up on ya Ebil! At least you stuck around for a while.)

I look forward to next year and meeting more new faces. GC is certainly one of the best run communities out there and it shows at FF. The hard work by all is appreciated and makes for some great fragging. :luxhello:

As far as the 18yr old thing I think that only a few tomatos have rotte3d the whole basket I have to personally speak up for Chimpp (not only because he is a monkey) he was well behaved and polite and I think that he should be allowed to return. As far as future guests that are not 18yrs old. They should have to be accompanied by a gaming parent. It seems that here in the forums is where most of us are heard about the atrocities please let the staff know when this is going on.

I think that the server problems were totally unforseen and were handled as best as possible now we know and can fix that in the future.

I really liked the lanyards it took away those embarassing moments when you were too drunk to remember the name of the person you were talking with.

Do you think that more people would play poker if it was only a $5 buy in?

And I really would have liked to go to the quarry and swam but we ran out of time because the pictures had to be delayed, alot of people were not around when it was time to take them. Next year maybe we can designate group events and reiterate them at the opening cerimonies.

I think that the preplanning staff meeting was great and alot got accomplished from it.

Edited by [DLM]->Fish

For a first timer, it was a good time. I was able to enjoy my Gin and Frag until I didn't want to Frag anymore. Assuming I'm still around next year (i.e. don't have a new baby on the way or something) I'd like to step up and help more. I'm also hoping we can get more Westies out there next year. I know its a bit of a financial bite with the plane/rental cars and what not, but it was a heck of a good time.

I think most of the improvements have already been mentioned, so I'll just end with, damn good job guys, damn good!

Oh yeah, Mav's Son needs to be grandfathered into any and all age limits, he's a cool kid.

Edited by Quatele

There where some adults that where drunk that where totally out of line.. when i was playing poker i thought some people where way to hammered i know this sounds a little harsh but it really hurt me to read all of the posts above..

thanks to kwill (super nice guy) fatty (for his time) clueless(for handling mjojo) bub for being a super team mate (and for handling mjojo) mom for the servers and for all of the tourny players and pub players for having some sweet shots, truly yours

chip `EviL H.

(i also have been a victim of physical abuse by a drunk so... i sorta have something against them)

Edited by Evil

Thanks to the staff that put it on, it was great fun and you guys did a great job. The sponsors (brownies/kellogs/etc) was fantastic, and man, I really wanted a Thrustmaster... incentive to go back I guess. The facility was great, staff was really cooperative, and the people I met were friendly and nice. Cheers to all the .iB. guys, at least we won 1 :-P

About power: I've been to LANs in the past where users discouraged from bringing power strips. Each person had 3 nearby outlets assigned to them and that was all. That way, the power grid was set up before hand and no weird daisychaining occured. Might have to rent more power equipment that way... but it might be a good idea to consider.

Regarding 18/drinking, maybe you should designate a section (or side) of the lan to be the adult/21+ side and one to be the family-friendly side. I understand Evil's point above, but I know a lot of people got trashed on Saturday and had a good time. There has to be a way to balance both wants.

I was disappointed that the LAN room was closed at 4:30am Sat night. It would be nice if we could figure out a way to lan all night long, but I understand wanting to close it up. Just a comment for the future.

Those are my humble comments. I really think the lan went well, and that the faciliity and you staff did a great job. Thanks a ton for having me.

EDIT: Reply to fish "Do you think that more people would play poker if it was only a $5 buy in?"

I love poker, I really do, but I'm probably not gonna play poker at a LAN regardless. Sry :-/

Edited by waterox

Oh and Don't invite Mossad!

Yea I had a feeling mag didn't like me, because the very 1st round of cs I played at the LAN I was rushing mid on inferno as CT and mag as a CT just awps me in the head. Bastard!

I agree with you Mags... a certain person who will remain unamed would continue to say stuff like f..., bs, etc.

I hope that wasn't me, I tryed to be pretty clean as far as language went with mavs son sitting so close, but I know I let the F bomb slip once or twice. But then again I think I gamed for a total of 1hr or so. Sorry if it was me ^_^

Edited by Mossad

For improvments next year, I think having pub servers up while the tourneys are going on would be great. And fixing the local server problem with BF2 and such would be nice, even though I understand that people werent sure what the prob was. The Escape dudes are a must next year, my computer was having a bunch of problems with stuff, and I would have got more gaming in if I rented one.

->Fish' date='Jul 10 2006, 09:47 PM' post='350461']

As far as the 18yr old thing I think that only a few tomatos have rotte3d the whole basket I have to personally speak up for Chimpp (not only because he is an ape) he was well behaved and polite and I think that he should be allowed to return.

Thanks Fish! :D

Oh and Don't invite Mossad!

Yea I had a feeling mag didn't like me, because the very 1st round of cs I played at the LAN I was rushing mid on inferno as CT and mag as a CT just awps me in the head. Bastard!

That was pretty funny... When i looked up and saw mossad. I was thinking, that's not going to go over well. Thanks for taking it in stride. And yes it was a nice noscope on prodigy! :freak:

I do like the idea of having a parent present for the the under 18 crowd. I'd like to see LiL mav next year, we'll just have to blind fold him when he's play CS.

I do like the idea of having a parent present for the the under 18 crowd. I'd like to see LiL mav next year, we'll just have to blind fold him when he's play CS.

can there be parents for the adults that get out of line or something.. and not everyone under 18 was out of line

i mean i know there were some people tking and swearing but (i knew i did a few times) but i also didnt have to stop drinking to conrol myself.... i didnt even drink... or i didnt have to get carryed out so... W/e

->Fish' date='Jul 10 2006, 09:47 PM' post='350461']

As far as the 18yr old thing I think that only a few tomatos have rotte3d the whole basket

Or would the 18 year old thing be best addressed on a case-by-case basis?

IOW - those that behaved well we shouldn't have a problem with. I wish more were like Mav's son.

I still think a parent/guardian is a good idea though (at least).

Good comments all around.

And thanks for killing me on numerous occasions with artillery strikes fish. It was alot of fun!

The case-by-case thing doesn't sound bad. Combined with the adult supervision (parent, adult family menber, etc.) While, yes a certain younger person who has already been LAN-banned did go was out of line, it's also true that for about 15-20 minutes late Sat night there were several adults also out of line. Wherther one fueled the other I can't say, and likely no one could say for certain.

I do think it would be unfair to those youngsters like, Chimmp, Mav's son, Allanon, Sol-Tek, and Thief_Lord who acted like responsible people and didn't act like delinquents who were haiving (perhaps) their first taste of "freedom from parental supervision", or whatever it was that fueled the rampage late Saturday.

I think I can speak to this from a unique position. Thief_Lord was sitting right next to me, Chimmp was on the other side of me and Allanon was directly behind me. All were perfect neighbors all weekend. I think all should be welcome back to next years FF because I think they've proven to the coalition that they understand what FF is about, and know how to conduct themselves in a public environment.

Also the only reason I haven't included Mr.Splatt in that list, is I don;t know how old he is, but he was also a perfect gentleman IMO.

Just want to ask the board to not make snap decisions based on the actions of a select few, and punish those who didn't do anything wrong.

Thanks,

Wolfsblood.

The only issue with said "case by case" decision is that it would then be no different than any other person. Every single person at the LAN could be considered a "case by case" decision (meaning regardless of age, anyone could be denied admittance)....unless you guys are suggesting that we grandfather past attendees and go 18+ for everone else.

As for Mav's son, he's not an issue because his dad games with him, so none of this has anything to do with him.

At any rate, there will of course be no "snap" decisions about anything made. There's been plenty of feedback about the age restriction possibilities, I'm pretty sure we've covered every angle. Any other topics to left to discuss?