FFO 06 IN REVIEW

Fatty

What if the room got broken up into quadrants/areas for different types of games. Like the BF2 people are hooked into 1 internet jack, CSSers on another, SWs on another. It might have taken the CSSers a while to join steam, but we were fine once we got on. Th SW people had to play with too little bandwidth. How hard would three lans wan'd together be? That'd triple our bandwidth is my thinking.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about having scans for spyware? If I remember correctly, there was at least one case

where spyware was causing a problem. AdAware and SpyBot S & D are freely available, so

that should help alleviate problems.

Thoughts?

(edited)
wasnt the stg and the WoW people hogging the Bandwith?

Guys, your network connectiion was a 100Mb connection on a Cisco Switch. More than likely it

negotiated to a Full Duplex connection. This means that each user had a bunch of bandwidth

available to them - and the backplane of the switch that was used can handle much more traffic

than we could ever push through it at a LAN party...

It might not be a good idea to break everything up into separate "areas" - after all, I played at least

four different games during the weekend. The only problems I noticed were more than likely server

related (like BF2 issues, etc...) once yermoth3r fixed the connectivity stuff. Remember, a network jack

is a network jack - it just provides you conenctivity to the network.

Go back and read the very first post by Fatty in this thread.

In it, he says:

-Internet / Network: We found out that something had changed from our event last year: the port we were going through was capped. This meant that validating through steam or browsing the internet was about as fun as hot sauce in the eye. m0m was able to fix this while we did doorprizes...but consequently this change stopped us from being able to set up pickup servers on our own machines (i.e. you couldn't see me starting Server4, or the halflife server, etc, on my own machine) I don't know exactly why, but hopefully this won't happen next year.

HTH. Sorry if I stepped on any toes. Didn't mean to.

Edited by Dingy

GC Founder
wasnt the stg and the WoW people hogging the Bandwith?

No, not at all. Those games use minimal bw, according to m0m.

And, no, thank you, Dingy, no toes involved......I was assuming people read the original post.

Also, people, this is a brainstorm thread.....less reactions and debate (because someone posts it doesn't mean it's going to happen, so we can relax....) and more tossing out of original ideas, plz.

Dngy, I know what you're trying to say, but the

Remember, a network jack

is a network jack - it just provides you conenctivity to the network.

is the whole reason for my suggestion of WANing the LAN. If we could have three network access points, CSSers could validate through Steam, and SW people could connect to outside servers with the additional bandwidth that 3 network jacks, busy being network jacks lol, would provide by tripling connectivity to the outside world. Instead of 80 computers sharing 400kps, we could have 400 x 3. This proposal specifically addresses the part you highlighted in red and is intended to use three ports for connectivity.

Because it would be a WAN, anyone on any computer would still be able to play with others in the room.

wan.jpg

GC Founder

Good thought, although because we're using one large Cisco switch and not several smaller ones, I'm not sure if that would work out. Mini or m0m would have to speak to this.

Also, bandwidth wasn't an issue once m0m made the switch. It was a different problem after that. I still don't know why we couldn't set up servers on the fly after the change, but we could see m0m's servers.

ps. nice drawing!

definitely worth some thought.

this could be accomplished with different VLANs setup on the switch.

fatty - for next year, if back there, we should setup a test visit the week or so prior so we can do a test run of the network setup.

Ultimately, you still only have 400 kps to the outside world. Because that's all the hotel has to offer. So, I'm a little fuzzy how your solution would work Chief. :unsure:

Or are you saying the hotel is throttling the network connection to each jack? And that they actually have more bandwidth to the outside world? If this is the case then I understand what you're doing. The next thing would be to ensure there are 3 network jacks from the hotel in the ballroom to setup what you're talking about.

I understand the whole idea of setting up the WAN so all would have access to the 3 different servers. But if all still need to authenticate via the internet you still have a throttle point with the hotels access to the outside world.(if they truly only have a 400kps connection)

Anyways enlighten me on this if I'm missing something. :peace:

Every person with wireless was able to get 400 while we were working and I was under the impression that the same was true for each of the hardpoints. They were throttling users to allocate their overall bwidth.

fatty - for next year, if back there, we should setup a test visit the week or so prior so we can do a test run of the network setup.

The network engineer (my day job) in me liked the idea of separate vlans. But you have to consider

supporting it too.... If anything, it is always best to keep it simple (easier to support that way). Now if

anyone could get a DS3 donated, that would be cool!

Granted, gaming traffic could be separated into three different vlans - but then you need a router to route

everything (I know, the Sup II does routing). Remember, everything would be fine until everyone starts

playing a bunch of different games - then the clean networks become a bit muddled. If we're talking maybe

100 devices, there isn't that much traffic.

What Chief was talking about would be something similar to multipoint ppp. Incorporating three

separate internet links into a network (even with routing) is a rather large routing headache (it can be done,

but has tons of technical issues and isn't as easy as it seems).

The easiest thing to do might just be to have one switch per table and have the tables connected to the

server "farm" via fiber (gig uplinks). The end-devices would then just plug into the switches. It certainly

would make the setup time next to nothing (if Cisco can provide the switches though). Of course, power

would still be an issue. The big constraint is still the size of the internet pipe to the outside world.

It is probably best to leave this to the staff and have them determine what will be done and how it will be

implemented. We just need to keep throwing up the ideas . :propeller:

Thoughts?

I'm assumming from this comment that there is debate on weather to have

it at the same hotel again next year? Just curious.

If I didn't meet you Chief, I'd think that you were never happy. :biglaugha:

Haha! I'm a big ideas strategy guy, but at least I admitted it! Give me $75mil and I'll tell you how to spend it...on advertising, marketing, pr, brand management...I'll leave the IT to you guys. Mom's spent enough time with me on teamspeak to know that I know my place when it comes to the innerworkings, thus the conceptual art! I'm not even at the bottom of the totem pole. I'm the guy that paints em when someone else finishes em.

But boy o boy can I get mad when I waste money, or see racim, child abuse or a guy hitting a girl. Other than that this is me 90% of the time:

no_bitter_beer_face.jpg

Haha I do have a very dirty mouth on TS. That's why I try to keep myself muted because I use voice activate. Going to military school and playing big10 sports I'm supercompetitive yell and have a bad mouth when I'm competing. I'm a lot like Walter, which is why he's my go-to Halloween costume.

walter01.jpg

Hah, that makes me think of a positive contribution for next year. We could have a fine system, where cussing outburst like when you yell something out loud costs a buck. Then take all the fines and donate them to a worthy cause, of which there are many. We used to do that in my fraternity, though we didn't get fined for cussing but still...

Hi guys. Judging by all the responses, I really did miss a great time. I WILL however be there next year. Theree are a lot of great suggestions. Ive noticed the whole 18 and older issue quite a bit. I think Waterox had a very good idea--

maybe you should designate a section (or side) of the lan to be the adult/21+ side and one to be the family-friendly side.

I think it would be much easier to keep tabs on things with something like this in place. I know last year and I assume this year we had rist bands for that. With a designated section and the rist bands it would be even easier to keep an eye on things. I noticed we will have a sound system for next year. Will this be rented or borrowed or what. The reason I am asking is that I have been a mobile DJ for years and am now getting out of the business. Which in turn I have my entire DJ system for sale. CD decks speakers amps cables ect... The entire system with lights and all is going for $2500. Not sure if you are interested or need extra equipment or that sort of thing but I would be more than happy to help out with the sound system next year if needed. Renegade may be more adverse with all that than me but I'm sure I could be of some assistance in some way. :D

We also have to remember that by next years FF, UT2k7 will already be out and I'm sure running hard so we may need to consider a server for that. I would be more than happy to head that up if need be. Looking at the pictures and so forth, it looked like the console thing went over really well. Well, considering I did not go this year I don't really have much to add as to any improvements other than what I have commented on.

I am looking forward to next year for sure.

Speaking of UT, I would have loved to play some this year, but was unable to get a server up, or find one if there was running when I tried it. Not sure if anyone else was playing it this year, but I know it's been played in the past and am certain that it will be played next year.

THis means, of course that we'll need to find a way to drag Unclean to one of these. Too much fun overall to miss. :)

Speaking of UT, I would have loved to play some this year, but was unable to get a server up, or find one if there was running when I tried it. Not sure if anyone else was playing it this year, but I know it's been played in the past and am certain that it will be played next year.

THis means, of course that we'll need to find a way to drag Unclean to one of these. Too much fun overall to miss. :)

True.

I tried bringing one up but it was extremely slow. Don't know why, but it was.

I guess we'll have to wait until next year to get killed in person. Looking forward to meeting Primus.