Non Fiction

Brew

Any specific non fiction types you are looking for?

Anything by Ambrose is good for history/war stuff... he has one about the building of the transcontinental railroad in the 1860's that is one of my favorites. We forget what a monumental undertaking and achievement this was at the time.

"Barbarians at the gate" by Burrough/Helyar is a very good book about the hostle leveraged buy out of RJ reynolds/Nabisco in the eighties... It may not sound interesting but the book is awesome even if you know nothing about high finance.

"Flu" by Kolata is a good book about the 1918 influenza outbreak.

If you want to step slowly into reading non fiction I would recommend checking out some Michener titles... "Carribean" is one of my favorites. He does historical fictions (sets characters that are fictitious in amoungst historical events to tell the history of a region. Bit of middle ground between fiction and non.

Lots of good stuff out there, narrow it down for us a bit?

Edited by farmerisme

The last three I read, all of which I enjoyed, are:

The Tipping Point

Everything Bad is Good for You

Confessions of an Economic Hitman

The first two I would call studies, only read them if you want to listen to theories. "Confessions" was awesome, really interesting look at the ties between governments and big business.

(edited)

I'm currently reading Charlie Wilson's War (by George Crile). It's the true story about the CIA's involvement in the Afghan-Russian conflict.

One of the best non-fiction books I've read in the last couple of years is The Devil's Highway (by Luis Alberto Urrea). It changed my perspective on the immigration issue - puts a face and name on a lot of the nameless.

Another good one: Devil in the White City (by Erik Larson). It tells the true story of the events leading up to and surrounding the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, while at the same time chronicling the activities of a serial killer in the same area. It gives a great historical background on Chicago, too.

Waiting for me next is Miracle in the Andes... (by Nando Parrado). It's a first person account of the Uruguayan rugby team that crashed in the Andes (remember the movie "Alive"), but more importantly it helps put life, and what's in it, in perspective. I can't wait to read it.

90% of what I read is non-fiction, and I can offer some more if these don't do it for ya. But I don't think you can miss with any of these.

**Edit - My 1000th post. Woohoo!**

Edited by whudats

• 1 year later...
I'm currently reading Charlie Wilson's War (by George Crile). It's the true story about the CIA's involvement in the Afghan-Russian conflict.

One of the best non-fiction books I've read in the last couple of years is The Devil's Highway (by Luis Alberto Urrea). It changed my perspective on the immigration issue - puts a face and name on a lot of the nameless.

Another good one: Devil in the White City (by Erik Larson). It tells the true story of the events leading up to and surrounding the 1893 Chicago World's Fair, while at the same time chronicling the activities of a serial killer in the same area. It gives a great historical background on Chicago, too.

Waiting for me next is Miracle in the Andes... (by Nando Parrado). It's a first person account of the Uruguayan rugby team that crashed in the Andes (remember the movie "Alive"), but more importantly it helps put life, and what's in it, in perspective. I can't wait to read it.

90% of what I read is non-fiction, and I can offer some more if these don't do it for ya. But I don't think you can miss with any of these.

**Edit - My 1000th post. Woohoo!**

ever get around to reading Miracle in the Andes?

• 1 month later...