Steam Update

jay_swift

What do you guys think about the next steam update?

Soon, we'll be releasing the first in a series of updates to Counter-Strike: Source which will be focused on moving the core Counter-Strike gameplay forward.

The first update will include an updated version of the map Train, which will feature an HDR lighting pass, some minor layout changes, and a number of small bugfixes.

The second facet of this release will be a completely reworked radar system. There will be a significant change to the aesthetics of the radar, but there are also some fairly significant gameplay ramifications to the new system. One example: when you look directly at an enemy for a long enough time for their name to appear on your screen, everyone on your team will be able to see that enemy in the radar. We're planning on releasing this first update in about two weeks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was just about to post this as well. I think it's rubbish. I don't care about the radar, I don't care about HDR. I want other bugs fixed. This has nothing to do with core Counter-Strike gameplay as with half the people don't even seem to use radar anyways. (new players + ff = ftl)

Why are they changing CS gameplay like this? The whole point of CS is that you're supposed to talk as a team, not let your crosshairs do the talking. It sounds like they wanna turn this into some Battlefield Map clone. Next thing you know the map layout will be on the radar as well. [/rant]

they better fix that dumb armor + helmet bug, the one where if u buy the armor first and you cant buy the helmet unless u get more than 1000......

i use the radar, but like shockwave just said, so many more people dont use the radar so its basically useless...

I personally think it's a fine addition. :) Although i too wish they would work on fixing bugs rather than coming out with new material. But!! Steam always add fixes as they release something new or update! So we might get some fixes as well.

As for the radar thing... Why be able to see your teammates? If you can see them then you might as well be able to see who they're shooting at. :) And.. Radar doesn't cover the whole map for me.. Only areas close to me so half the time i won't even see any dots. It's a pretty useless update but it'd be nice. We know where the enemy are but we'll be too far to do anything anyways. :D

I dont see why there is all the whining - this seriously does not change the gameplay in the slightest. No ones even seen how its going to work precisely.

My guess... Instead of Calling a location over the radio, you might be able to hover your cursor over them instead, but I highly doubt it will be as efficient as a mic-call, thats basically instant.. where anything dependant on where you aim takes time. plus if your not STARING at them you can't use this method.. basically it'll be good for emergency situations like if you get rushed. if your a GOOD player, you know where the Opposing rush is anyway because you've got your eye on the radar from the get-go, watching where players die and deducting that the T's are in spot A because your team died at spot B and A connects to B.

So in short, the gameplay is pretty much going to be exactly the same with a few random blips of where the enemy is based on your teams position. It'll be nice for everyone who plays without a mic.

I've gotta aggree with KWix on this. Everyone seems to be assuming that it will make CS a whole new game, when in reality it will only be usefull in very specific circumstances.

This isn't gonna completely change the game.

Just to give you an idea about a change that really did affect the game. Back in 1.3 (i.e. 2001 for those who weren't playing that long ago) the T's could move the hostages just like the CTs and the hostages didn't show up on the CTs radar. This meant T's frequently move the hostages to new camping places. Then they changed it so the T's couldn't move hostages and added the hostage positions to the CT radar. Now that did make a difference in gameplay.

This is nothing. Just as kwix said, it will only be useful if you can keep your crosshairs on the enemy for a time, and if you can do this, why aren't you shooting him already?!

I agree with Kwis and Ice_berge. Did you guys wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? It's not that big of a deal. Sure, they could focus on more imporant issues but it's steam we're talkinga bout. Plus the 1.6 hardcorse players are never gonna come to CSS, most of them are too stuck on 1.6 and haev too many prejudice against source to convert. I say let them be, and let's wait and see what happens.

This is nothing. Just as kwix said, it will only be useful if you can keep your crosshairs on the enemy for a time, and if you can do this, why aren't you shooting him already?!

sometimes, when ur shooting a guy and the guy keeps moving around with small steps you can see their name. like they sidestep in and out of your crosshair and sometimes wen they go out you can see who they are.

How many of us get the chance to keep our crosshairs on an opponent long enough to make this new feature affective? Really, when you set your sites on someone you either shoot or get shot. You don't get enough time for this to really come into play IMHO. :peace:

if anything it will probably be like a quick blurp on the radar, like from the movie aliens when they are watching them on their little handheld radar thingys. just my thought

HAHAHAHAHA... that is the exact picture I saw in my head. 'They're everywhere!'

LOL! that be cool..ur radar is blank....sudddenly ur surrounded by red dots

if anything it will probably be like a quick blurp on the radar, like from the movie aliens when they are watching them on their little handheld radar thingys. just my thought

That would be insane.

"They're in the room!"

"That's impossible!"

That would be insane.

"They're in the room!"

"That's impossible!"

"Game over, man. Game over."