EXPLOITS

Wonder if we could start a post regarding exploits........

2 common exploits that we see people doing regarding the bomb would be (1) defusing the bomb from underneath the train in de_train and (2) planting the bomb in the water fountain in de_inferno. The latter I have never seen admins taking action against, but just like the train exploit, planting in the water is de_inferno is considered an exploit in cal because "it is possible for the fish to get in the way of the defuse".

I'm sure that many, especially those who have never been in competive leagues, might not even know that these are exploits. Those in competitive leagues that DO know that these are exploits in league play, may not realize that we are also considering them exploits in our public to stay competitive. Not all public servers do......

Perhaps others can add their views on some other subtle exploits to this post so we can start a good post of what our admins want to actually consider exploits and make a final "expoits rules 101 post". That way we can all be on the same page. I'm pretty clear and up to date on what to expect, but many members and/or repeat visitors may not be. I didn't even know until recently that we were actually kicking ppl for the train exploit, I just knew that it was frowned upon (by myself as well).

tWc|RoGuE.gc

Yeah I have to agree with Rogue here. I myself was guity of the exploit on train and was unaware I was breaking a server rule. In fact this is the first Pub that I have been in that follows cal rules without something about cal being in the server name. Maybe there could be something added to the motd or the rules that are posted on the map walls cuz I am sure there are many players including myself that are unaware. Thanks for the competative servers guys!

Defuse exploits were discussed in the admin forum a while back and the consenus was that since a lot of people may not know that what they're doing is an exploit, the admin would slap them off the bomb and then educate them that what they're doing is an exploit. Of course once you're warned and you do it again, well that's when the kick/ban should come into play.

More blatant exploits, such as defusing from the sewers in Mill would likely warrant a kick as a warning since if you're doing that you pretty much know it's an exploit.

Essentially it came down to the fact that you have to be able to see some part of the bomb when you're defusing.

Putting it in the motd/server rules would be a good idea in my opinion.

if you type "rules" in chat, "no exploits" is one of the items listed. there are too many things to list, and trying to do that isn't a top priority. people that fit into the .gc mold usually understand that an unfair advantage is an unfair advantage, and don't need a volume or two filled with details. same thing with using appropriate language.

i'm pretty sure no ones ever been banned for their first exploit.

Is planting the bomb and then shooting a barrel over it so you can't see it (say at B in dust2) considered an exploit? I never do this, but I have noticed it happen in the server and am just wondering if it is legal.

I like the idea of making a list of exploits that are not allowed in the server. I played in Cal-O for 2 seasons and I don't even remember what all of the exploits are. Admins may not always catch stuff (like if they're still alive) so I'd like to help do my part when I see someone do an exploit to let an admin know.

Edited by TheGMan

Is planting the bomb and then shooting a barrel over it so you can't see it (say at B in dust2) considered an exploit? I never do this, but I have noticed it happen in the server and am just wondering if it is legal.

I wouldn't call it an exploit. If the CT can't find the bomb, it's their fault, but you can easily move barrels out of the way or defuse through them.

never knew that the train and inferno defuse under train and plant in pond were exploits!! even when I have done it know one told me?

sorry never knew thanx for posting I remember someone say illegal defuse didn't know what that ment now I do :)

A GC admin recommended this for match play and I do it from time to time. I don't think the barrels can prevent a defuse, unless a player was knocked away by bouncing off them.

sorry never knew thanx for posting I remember someone say illegal defuse didn't know what that ment now I do :)

Any time you defuse without being able to see part of the bomb it's considered illegal in CAL.

As far as I can tell we've never been strict about illegal defuses, but a blatantly illegal defuse is basically cheating.

(edited)

I wouldn't call it an exploit. If the CT can't find the bomb, it's their fault, but you can easily move barrels out of the way or defuse through them.

see this is where we are fuzzy, this IS considered an exploit in cal...... so i dunno (along the same lines, shooting the chairs to cover the bomb in the inside site of de_prodigy is also illegal in cal.....)

Like I said, i personally DO NOT do it if it is NOT allowed in cal, so I DO "fit into the .gc mold", understanding what is fair/unfair just fine. That doesn't mean that I know what is expected by our admins on little points such as those listed so far, as to how I should react when I see others doing these things. It does seem from these posts so far, also, that there ARE members that do not even know about these things being considered exploits in leagues and perhaps on .gc servers. We should know what kind of reaction to hold when we see these things happening. I know its not feasable to put these things in the motd, but i thought, by starting this post, we could come to some kind of consensus, THROUGH THE FORUMS HERE, as to what is right and wrong. This will help ALL OF US uphold the standards that .gc wishes upon ourselves as well as correct those not in .gc who do not know any better. No mixed signals, or undo kicks/hard feelings, etc this way ;-)

Edited by RoGuEmX

what about in de_prodigy,

planting in computer room in corner underneath stairs and then shooting a chiar next to it and then not being able to defuse it from the bottom, BUT u can defuse it from top of stairs with bomb underneath...

it IS illegal in cal, but since we are discussing it i decided to mention it..

you are still able to defuse it and win, so what does GC say about it?

what about in de_prodigy,

planting in computer room in corner underneath stairs and then shooting a chiar next to it and then not being able to defuse it from the bottom, BUT u can defuse it from top of stairs with bomb underneath...

I say we just mention somewhere on the server that we follow cal rules and that can solve the confusion. In cal you must be able to see the bomb when defusing (no defuse through boxes, train, tunnel) and also you are not allowed to use objects in game like debris and barrels to cover the bomb to prevent defusing. There simply isnt the room to mention every "exploit" that cal conciders illegal so let them decided what is allowed and what isnt and just follow their lead. Besides I think when a server follows cal rules and everyone knows it, it stops being a pub and turns into a warzone of people with cal experience showing off their skill.

I don't really see the train defuse being an issue. It doesn't give anyone an advantage. I guess you could say the ct is more hidden, but really, is he any more protected? Not enough to matter imo. And I've never heard anyone ever complain about someone defusing from that spot. I never even heard of it as an exploit til this thread. The inferno thing I can see, even though I never heard of that one either. But in that case, it does interfere with defusing(I guess, never seen it).

(edited)

There simply isnt the room to mention every "exploit"...

amen. use your judgement, and if the admin feels its unacceptable, it should be pretty obvious (slapped).

I'll make one final post to this topic.. I mean it barely affects me, other than not knowing what to tell others in-game. For instance, I see someone planting in fountain in inferno. This is not something I would do, it is an exploit in cal. BUT... do i tell them to stop doing it if no admin is there? IF I do tell them, and they keep planting there, do I screenshot everything for the ban forums?

Basically, this is something I'm posting, not for my sake, but for those who do not know/know any better, and to KEEP THINGS COMPETITIVE, FAIR, AND CONSISTENT. If we have different admins with different views on exploits and how to punish ppl for using them, then where are those 3 values going? Away, I tell you, away. We were hoping by dropping the # of player slots to raise these values by making it smaller more competitive rounds, and more .gc membered for consistency and fairness. So this was just my suggestion box post to help aid in that as well.

Anyways, all I was asking for when I started this post was a few posts by others and then a simple consensus over the common exploits that we have posted here in the forum by the lead admins/board. That consensus could be filed in a separate (perhaps *sticky) POST (not motd, don't get hung up on that!), in which case there is plenty of room to mention as many exploits as is wished.

I prefer exploits were out all together, but if others want to use them, its really not going to hurt my feelings, i'll still pwn without using them so whatever. :o .GC still rules, and still does a better job at keeping all of these things to a minimum, than pretty much any other server I've tried out. :shrug03:

<takes a step back from the podium, slowly looks the crowd in the eye, gives one final nod, and quickly makes an exit through the curtains, with only the fleeting glimpse of a leather matrix-style trenchcoat trailing for the final view of the audience>

Edited by RoGuEmX

Every admin decision is going to use that individual's judgment, based more on intent than on the exact situation. If a player shows intent to gain an unfair advantage, that's likely to get a response; if a player does something small that's illegal in CAL, that might go completely unnoticed.

I for one had never heard that fish on Inferno can prevent a defuse; I've planted many times in the fountain, I expect most players will continue to plant in the fountain, and if I see someone plant there I'm probably not going to do anything because people like blowing up the fish, and probably have no knowledge of a bug there.

If a player defuses the bomb on Mill from inside the tunnels, that shows foreknowledge of a bug, and an intent to exploit it, and is obviously going to require action.

There are probably dozens of rules on very specific issues, but I've never seen any kind of collection and I don't expect to.

In summation: intent.

Edited by mookie

what about binding the mouse scoll to fire?imo,that is the same as having wall hacks or aimbot.it puts you at a disadvantage when you are up against the duallies.

don't worry.. dualies cant hit crap when fired that fast. It just sounds cool lol