It's time to decide

Reckless

Could the Islamic Jihadists have known that Americans would react this way to their murderous attack? You know, it doesn't really matter. Planned result or not, the terrorists have much to celebrate. Their hatred of our freedoms caused them to attack, and our love of freedom has become a casualty.

Now, here we are, 5 years later. It's September 11, 2006. The offices that were destroyed in the Pentagon are refurnished and reoccupied. The location of the crash of United Flight 93 in Pennsylvania is hallowed ground, and the site of the World Trade Towers has been turned from a clean-up project to a construction project. Physical damage is easily repaired. Not so, the damage to our national mindset.

The National Archives of the United States have an interesting little project going on. You can go to the National archives website and virtually sign the Declaration of Independence. You type your name, select a colonial era writing style, and then print out a full color copy of the Declaration with your signature right down there with those of our founding fathers. Before you sign, though, I asked to remember what happened to many of those who actually did sign in 1776. These men pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor to the cause of freedom. Their signatures made them traitors in the eyes of the King. Rewards were posted for their capture – and the British armada was waiting offshore. Sign, and risk losing everything? Or not sign and live securely, though not free, under British rule?

Would the American people choose the path of liberty today? Would the same people who think that our Bill of Rights goes too far be willing to pledge their lives, their fortune and their honor to fight for freedom above security? Many of the men who signed the Declaration died because of that signature. Others lost their property, their liberty and their families. Do men like that walk among us today? Are we, as Americans, worthy of their sacrifice?

Maybe we can spend this 5th anniversary of September 11th honoring those who died and those who protected us. Maybe, just maybe, after today we can try to rededicate ourselves to the same principals that brought us the men and women who put their lives on the line in 1776. America is great because we are free. America is great because those who came before us valued freedom above security. America was attacked because our freedom is a threat to tyrants, religious and otherwise. Are you one of those who profess your willingness, even eagerness, to trade away some of that freedom? Is it security you now seek? Perhaps you should consider those in our society who are truly secure. They live in solitary confinement in some of our prisons. We call them "maximum security prisons" for a reason.

What is our choice going to be? Will we chose a secure life overseen by your friendly local government warden, or will we chose the brilliance and uncertainty of freedom?

It's September 11th, 2006. It's time to decide.

please let me say. I was not going for a political discussion. If I have upset any one in any way just delete my post.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

O and if this is not a political post then I dont know what is http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=29111 <--

Edited by Reckless

If asking you to be a patriot is political. Then move his post but I will be there reading it. This is the type of person i want in my fox hole. All he was saying is instead of sparking it should spark us to Love our freedom that much more. Nothing wrong with feeling like makeing it so these Americans and patrons of our freedoms death isnt a win for the evil that killed them but a win for the very patriotism that caused it.

Well said here here

Edited by Tyranus

I agree with 99% of WHAT he said...I just don't think it needs to be in this forum.

as for this:

America was attacked because our freedom is a threat to tyrants, religious and otherwise.

that's the 1% I don't agree with. America wasn't attacked because people are afraid of our freedom. America was attacked because those people believe that we have done them wrong in some way and they need to save the world from us...oddly enough...it's the same reasons we fight against them.

It's not a debate until someone starts debating what was said....

:spin2:

I'm going to debate wether or not someones going to debate on what he says so it'll turn into a debate

To be honest, I still can't believe such a thing happened to our country. No matter how many times I see it on the internet (tribute movies) and on the news every year, it's still mind-boggling to acknowledge that something that horrific could happen to us.