Medieval Total War II

Xterminator

As far as diplomacy goes I've been able to do ceasefire's, trading rights, alliance's the same way as in RTW. Now in Medieval 2 it seems that whenever you are in a war with a country your rating will go down, even if they attack you first. When you propose something it will say demanding, generous, etc. which is basically your change of passing it.

Also as far as getting priests promoted to cardinals I think it's luck, and papal favor, or at least as far as I know. Other one is Caermoon/Wales if I'm catching you, personally I try to get as many generals as possible and leave the non battle ones in cities so I can adjust them manually. I personally am a bit confused by the auto managment settings, I think they mostly for the build order though, with the exception of financial which will also raise the tax. I started over with England and now am almost at turn 50 with Scotland out and France almost entirely conquered. We should play online together some time.

The longbow coupled with the passive AI bug is fantastic. :)

Tips:

Diplomacy is huge. Usually members from other factions will come to you and ask for trade rights or map information. Dont just say yes. Make them earn it. Ask for money or ask for one of their cities. Usually they'll give you a city for a few thousand florins (if you can afford it). Closer towards the middle of the game it gets more expensive.

As for priests. Piety can be earned by taking out heretics. I suggest that you make a priest in each city that is capable of making them. Send them out everywhere especially Islam occupied lands so that you can influence the people there and cause riots if possible. Make sure you actively use your cardinals to seek out Herectics and increase their piety. The higher their piety, they higher the more likely they will become a preferati. If you can get a cardinal in one of those 3 hot seats good. Next time pope elections role around you can influence factions to vote for your guy using diplomatic methods. Along side that. If your cardinal gets elected as pope you're sitting in a sweet spot. Your priests (if you have enough of them) will be more likely to get nominated to the college of cardinals. If they do, once again send them out to take out heretics and increase piety. Right now the pope is from my faction and i have 5 other priests sitting on the college of cardinals. Use this to your advantage. You can then call Crusades on territories that are bugging you :D. That is you'll have a better success rate of the Pope accepting the Crusade which you put forth.

For managing towns i usually do it myself. I have many family members so i try to get 1 in each town i control.

Sidenote: I've noticed that the best way to get more family members is to have your generals promoted. If you get into a battle and you win it with few or no casualties...you have a good chance of having your general promoted to your family. This is where that passive AI bug comes into play. Exploit it. Even the battle help says use your archers until they've fired all their arrows. As soon as the enemy starts to retreat, get your archers to stop "firing at will" and have your cavalry charge. FF is on in this game and you can take some serious loss' from your own missle troops...This is especially true if you have catapults or any other artillery piece.

If you do get a general promoted...stick him in the nearest village to run it. Depending on the loyalty of the populace you'll have to control the city to make them happy.

Anyways here's my progress update:

I've eliminated so far:

France

Spain

Scotland

Moors

Egypyt.

I decided to shift my focus onto the Islam countries and get them out of the way. Before i eliminated Egypt they called a Jihad on Jerusalem (which i own) and then The turks who were my allies at that time betrayed me. I called a crusade on the Turks capital and took it over myself.

Note: If your general successfully takes over the city that the crusade was called on. His Loyalty, Command and other traits SKYROCKET!!!. I'm trying to figure out if i can make him my Heir or not. I dont think it's assignable in this game.

Anyways so Right after my crusade ended. Denmark swept down and attacked me but failed. The Holy Roman Empire attacked one of my armies with two armies. Funny thing was that my army was weak, 7 units (1 family member) the other 6 units were some kinda swordsmen i dont know. The type of soldiers you'd hire during a crusade. Anyways i decimated both their huge armies. So i'm like woah that rocks. Right after that battle they attack me again with 2 more armies and i got destroyed. My family member died (no biggy).

So currently i'm at war with Turkey, Denmark (they asked for a ceasefire and i insulted them by asking for their capital in return for it). I'm also at war with the Holy Roman Empire now. I can handle them though :D.

Newest threat. The mongols have invaded. They showed up in Baghdad. (which i currently own). So i recommend that if you take Baghdad you stock up your city. The mongols invade with i believe 6 full armies. They havn't attacked me yet. I think they're looking for a place to settle.

If you think the Mongols are hard wait till the Timurids come, they bring really nice siege units and normally attack your city on the first turn. I've tried to lure them in with a screen force of light infantry at the gates but their are too many of them and on the few occasions I have won they have attacked with another force :(.

Wow I just battled out the mongels for about an hour. They chewed threw some of my units as if they were peasents.

I've lost about 2000+ troops to them but i've inflicted even more. They're down to 1 army now. No more worries from them.

I dont look forward to the Timurids.

I can't believe it. I took out all the mongols. It says Faction Destroyed...Not like 10 turns later

MONGOLS INVADE!

gotta do it all over again. This time i learned and adapted a new strategy. So i've taken them out a 2nd time.

Hah i pretty much own the college of cardinals. I have 10 in there. The rest are portugal. That will change soon.

I took out Denmark, Holy Roman empire and am about to take out the rest of Turkey.

When do timurids show up?

Wow you took them out and all those other factions, what difficulty are you playing on?

Allanon i guess it's on the easiest.. I swore i took the normal one. Ah well.

The fact that mongols showed up again isn't impressin me.

Note: If you join a crusade, try to pick up as many of those crusading pilgrim soldiers you can, they're cheap but they're not bad in battle, it saves you from having to buy expensive units (at least for the time being).

i guess not. I think we're the only cool people Allanon.

Alright so i'm getting family members left right and centre. There are SO many. Right now my capital London has about 11 family members alone. Each other city in Great Britian has about 2 or 3. Not to mention all the other cities i control around the map.

On the plus side i have an ample amount of generals for crusades now.

Yah I always disband troops once I'm about 2 tiers ahead of them. So does anyone else play MTW2 besides me you and skarface?

Dunno . . . I haven't been playing much recently . . . new baby and all . . . I'm about to get some game on in a few minutes though. www.totalwar.org seems to be a pretty decent resource for m2tw.

I'm currently running a spain campaign and I'm fighting a 3 front war yet again. (I'm terrible at getting the diplomacy right) I did get the toledo knights guild, which gives me some pretty fantastic cavalry units.

• 3 weeks later...

usually the best way to gain an alliance is when someone comes up to you and demans map informations or trade rights..then u demand an alliance back in return. they'll usually take it. Also if you can marry your princess' off to allied factions, it'll increase their loyalty and friendship. That's what i did with Portugal. They were the 2nd last faction i destroyed. They finally attacked me and i didnt' even provoke them. But the point is they stayed loyal for a VERY long time.