New soundcard

discom

I bought the Audigy 4 last year, and I have been very happy with it. I know I posted about this card before on this thread. I would stick with Creative as opposed to a knock off, but that's just the audiophile in me talking.

I had to take out my audigy to use the onboard sound. I got horrible distortion through the card. I think it may have been something with my mobo (abit aa8xe) the onboard sound is good. I get good effects and good 5.1 seperation.

wait why get an audigy 4 when x-fi exists?

what is your onboard sound and why do you say it's crappy?

Well, i dont know if i have more than $100 to spend on a sound card.

And the reason i say my onboard is crappy is cause all the noises (mostly footsteps) in css sound very distant even when they are right next to me

spec him in matches cujo. He soesnt hear plants/defuses/which site the bomb is at, if feet are ahead, behind, or around at all...etc.

But since we're at it, make sure you go thru the DUH-checklist first.

ie: -Your not using stereo headphones with your sound set to 5.1

- You have sound qual turned up in css

- sound in css options are set correctly

etc etc

haha ya usb headsets suck.

if that motherboard has soundstorm then definately don't upgrade audio. i don't think it does cause ultra400 didn't have it. too bad though. either way it's your headset so this thread is done.

I bought the X-Fi XtremeMusic (second from the bottom in the X-Fi series) from Newegg on sale for around 85 dollars (right now it's 93 dollars with a 20 dollar rebate making it 73 dollars) a few months ago.

Before I bought this I have only used onboard audio, I have the Sennheiser PC-150 Headset and with this card everything sounds amazing and very clear. Listening to music or movies is great, they have their simulated surround sound thing for specificly made for headphones called CMSS-3DHeadphones which does a good job of reproducing surround sound with stereo speakers.

You can also use the CMSS-3DHeadphone thing for games but it's a bit weird to set-up. You have to trick your computer into thinking you are using a 5.1 system. So when playing games it takes the 5.1 audio and puts it in all the right spots in your headphones. I used to use it for games, it does sound good, and probably more realistic than just using stereo, but for a game like CS it makes it harder to tell exactly where things are coming from. It sounds like a mish-mash of sounds all around you. I've gotten it to work pretty well in other games, but CS it doesn't work so great, not that it matters. With just stereo you can hear everything you could possibly want in CS. You can hear people planting a mile away so you can jump on them and blast their brains out, same with defusing. You can hear exactly how many people are running around even if you can't see them.

If a game supports EAX it's even better, like Battlefield 2142, or Battlefield 2. You can tell what you are standing on just by listening to the shell casing hit the ground.

If you buy an X-Fi you wouldn't need to buy another sound card for years because it has EAX 4.0 support, which almost no games use yet. It's one of the biggest improvements to my PC I have bought in the last few years besides a graphics card.

It took me about, six hour to type it. I did half of it, went to school, then came back and finished it. Which is why the last two paragraphs are only one or two sentences.

The X-Fi also comes with some nice MP3 and sound editing/recording software. I was bored one day so I ripped some anime intros into MP3s at 128kb/s. Very easy to use.

There's some other junk I don't use, like the karaoke thing. I don't even know why they have that in there.

There's remote support, which I don't need.

There's the thing that automatically gives your MP3s proper tags, like release date, artist, genre and stuff. So if you have an MP3 from who knows where it will search some database thing they have and get the correct information. There's mass conversion of file types. A mass renamer that renames your MP3s based on their tags.

It has it's own media player which I don't use. A DVD Audio player I don't even understand. Soundfont thing I don't understand either... A 3DMIDI thing I don't get...

Edit: Well, this was unexpected, the anime songs I ripped it somehow found the information for them. I sorted the MP3s by folder for the artist, now I have a bunch of Japanese folder names and things I have never heard of. Like it turned random stuff I ripped into some Patsy Cameneti stuff, who is some Bible Gospel preacher lady. But the actual music worked out great. :)

Edited by VooDooPC

Nope, I can only buy in sets of two. Since you dont want two, you dont get any :)

Yeah, the X-Fi software has tonnes of great stuff with it. The 24-bit crystalizer makes a HUGE difference for clarity in music, especially mp3's. I dont know much about the music editting software ,cause I use a much much much better program for that (Adobe Audition), but sounds like it works fine. I'll have to check out the midi stuff sometime!

All in all, GREAT card...