Who knows Ubuntu?

Playaa

I've been trying to dual-install into Ubuntu on my new machine (cause I'd love to switch to Linux completely if it's possible) but I can't even get the install cds to work. I burned the iso, it boots into it but then it always stops at one part of the install and never progresses past that.

I realize I'm not giving much info and will try to get more tomorrow...but for now, does anyone know of a way to install Ubuntu FROM XP rather than booting to an install cd?

you can't install from XP. What part does it freeze on? I know on my machine that I have to boot with safe graphics because once it finishes installing, it starts loading the window manager and will freeze.

What I do is... Just boot from the ubuntu CD. Do the live version and don't install. You can then install ubuntu while playing around in the live version. It may not get your video card drivers right, but it will work.

you can't install from XP. What part does it freeze on? I know on my machine that I have to boot with safe graphics because once it finishes installing, it starts loading the window manager and will freeze.

What I do is... Just boot from the ubuntu CD. Do the live version and don't install. You can then install ubuntu while playing around in the live version. It may not get your video card drivers right, but it will work.

Agreed. Using the safe graphics mode for the install solves many issues with the install hanging. Not sure why, it wasn't really an issue before Dapper. I haven't tried the LiveCD with the newest version though.

Another option is to use the free version of VMware. You don't have to dual boot, and you can run your linux install from within XP. It is a good deal slower than running linux natively, but you do get the ability to try out many different distirbutions without having to reformat you drive etc. There are even quite a few pre-packaged virtual machines that you can try without having to go through the install yourself.

http://www.vmware.com/products/free_virtualization.html - links to their free products

VMware Player - lets you load a pre-defiend virtual machine image (like the ones from the link below)

VMware Server - lets you create your own VMs. (It does more than that, but for most users this is the

main difference)

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/directory/cat/45 - list of some of the pre-installed vmware OS images.

I've been using vmware at work for the last 4 years or so. I can run around 5 virtual computers on my desktop. Makes developing our software much easier. Without it I'd need 5 extra computers.

Oh I thought it was that guy from the African lottery commission that keeps asking for my checking account info so he can give me my millions. I keep telling him to fly it out to me, that I'll pay for it out of my winnings, but he doesn't want to come to our beautiful country for some odd reason lol.

well I found out the initial problem. I was installing the wrong Ubuntu cd. I was trying to install the "alternative" cd which installs a text-based or "OEM" system...whatever that means.

But I tried with the CORRECT CD last night and it never gets past the Ubuntu startup screen (during the install). I let it sit for 10 minutes and it did nothing. No clue what's wrong with it. I'll check out VMWare though.

VMWare might not help with the boot hang problem...It just makes it easier to run other environments. IF it doesn't help, did you run a hash on the .iso you downloaded? Presumably you downloaded an .iso...

Anyway, usually there's some hash over the file on or near where you download it (Fedora Core uses SHA1, for example). You can get programs that will quickly compute the hash over the file you download and you can compare the two. This makes sure there's no corruption that was missed during the download.

I had a Fedora Core 4 CD that simply would not work, no matter how many times I downloaded, verified, burned and verified it or how many computers I tried it on. I ended up doing a vanilla install and YUMming everything. If all else fails...