Recommend movies that we probably haven't seen.

Playaa

This thread is for recommending films that you know people probably haven't seen. Whether they're just really old or they are relatively unknown or just got bad reviews but didn't deserve it.

My first recommendation would have to be Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War. You can find my post about it in this forum.

for a comedy I'd recommend Mystery Men (I'm still amazed at how many people have never heard of this movie). It's the only Ben Stiller movie I actually enjoy. It's stupidly hilarious.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Comedy: Grandma's Boy!

New Police Story (Jackie Chan! :o)

I thought this would be stupid as hell, but its hilarious, still a stupid funny but a good laugh.

Also a good one not many people saw is "Boiler Room" and of course "Rounders"

Rounders is more popular

City Of God (2002)

This foreign film is about the true story of two boys growing up in a violent neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro take different paths: one becomes a photographer, the other a drug dealer.

I felt it was easily the best foreign film Ive ever seen. Currently rated #18 on IMDB's top 100 of all time.

Even Ebert reviewed it as "One of the best films you'll ever see!"

Ong Bok....it rules

Hrmmm...other than that... 1984

What About Bob?

Robot Jox (funny...lol, and about giant robots)

Beastmaster (if you can get over the special effects, this movie rules...my ferret is named after a ferret in this movie...Kodo)

Boondock Saints of course..gotta go with Slaughter on that

The Last Starfighter...priceless....

Umm...I'm Gonna Get You Sucka' (really funny...)

Spaced Invaders

That's all I can think of for now...some fo those were popular in their time, but a lot of my younger friends are saying things such as "What the heck is the Last Starfighter?"

City Of God (2002)

This foreign film is about the true story of two boys growing up in a violent neighborhood of Rio de Janeiro take different paths: one becomes a photographer, the other a drug dealer.

I felt it was easily the best foreign film Ive ever seen. Currently rated #18 on IMDB's top 100 of all time.

Even Ebert reviewed it as "One of the best films you'll ever see!"

i read the topic and was completely about to say that movie. its amazing.

Ong Bok....it rules

Hrmmm...other than that... 1984

What About Bob?

Robot Jox (funny...lol, and about giant robots)

Beastmaster (if you can get over the special effects, this movie rules...my ferret is named after a ferret in this movie...Kodo)

Boondock Saints of course..gotta go with Slaughter on that

The Last Starfighter...priceless....

Umm...I'm Gonna Get You Sucka' (really funny...)

Spaced Invaders

That's all I can think of for now...some fo those were popular in their time, but a lot of my younger friends are saying things such as "What the heck is the Last Starfighter?"

What About Bob = Great bill murray flick, and for The Last Starfighter, thats every little boy's dream.

Okay, for my list:

1. Trainspotting - <3

2. Amelie - Huge foreign film, but not praised enough in american culture.

3. Everything Is Illuminated - Great.

4. Little Manhattan - for some reason didnt get noticed by the public, but pertains to every little boy's heart.

5. The Third Man - old film that wasn't appreciated too much besides by movie go'ers

6. Thumbsucker - Underground type of movie that has some big stars (worth the watch)

7. Running Scared - Definitly didnt get the praise it deserves.

3. Everything Is Illuminated - Great.

DING DING DING!

can't believe I forgot that one.

I'm getting City of God off Netflix as we speak.

I just watched one last night that was very entertaining called Trust the Man. It actually gets pretty bad reviews because, I think when people see a cast like that they expect typical hollywood tripe but the movie definitely isn't typical. To me this is what a "romantic comedy" should be like (though the film does deal with sex in strange ways enough that I can't say the film is perfect).

Saints and Soldiers is another one. This is a "low budget" ($1 million) movie made by the mormon church but it isn't preachy and it is actually very well acted. It's basically about 4 soldiers from different armies trapped behind enemy lines in WW1 trying to get across the lines to warn the Allies about an impending attack. It's a really heartfelt movie and definitely worth seeing.

I think I'm going to update my 1st post sometime today with my "Top 10 unknown movies".

(edited)

Just thinking about it and a few movies came to mind:

Gallipoli - 1981.

The story of two Australian friends and sprinting competitors who face the horrors of the Gallipoli offensive durring WW1. Its a increadibly moving story and movie. Stars a young Mel Gibson.

The Natural - 1984.

Robert Redford as an amazing baseball pitcher who has his career ended early with a bullet wound, only to come back in his middle age to even greater glory. Again, just an amazing story with an all star cast.

Das Boot - 1981.

This movie tells the story of the claustrophobic, terrifying life aboard a German U-boat during WWII. Its only 5 hours long. Heh :). It really does carry you through the 5 hours with very little down time.

The Untouchables - 1987.

Story of the prohibition era Chicago, as Elliot Ness takes on Al Capon. Stars Robert Deniro, Sean Connery, Andy Garcia, and Kevin Costner. Great musical score, wonderful sets and fast paced story.

Shaftiel

Edited by shaftiel

Chasing Amy

I think a lot of people never bothered to see this movie, possibly because they know about or have seen Mallrats. It's a good movie, although almost as dirty as the original cut of Clerks.

• 3 weeks later...

Just rented a somewhat odd looking movie called Mriiormask, I would DEFINATELY Recommend it.

Though it starts out really slow, once you get the chance to understand what is going on it really builds up into an interesting story. With interesting Twists and Tunrs along the way, Mirrormask make quite a good movie.