Recommend movies that we probably haven't seen.

Playaa

haha Shep, 4 Rooms, That movie is GREAT..

Top Movies of my list:

Donnie Darko***

City of God

Boon Dock Saints

The Big Labowski

The Breaks (HILARIOUS - kind of a white guy spin on "Friday")

Pi

Big trouble in little china (not top notch but hey it was cool back when i was a wee little lad)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-The Man Who Know too Little (Comedy staring Bill Murry who thinks he's part of a live play in the streets of London while he's really in a real situations)

-An Everlasting Piece (A protestant and Catholic Irishman go out into Dublin as toupee sellers, classic)

All I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Wisdom - Emilio Estevez and Demi Moore

Willow - Val Kilmer and some short folks

Big Trouble in Little China - Kurt Russel - "It's all in the reflexes"

Fast Times at Ridgemont High - Sean Penn's greatest role!!

The Spanish Prisoner - Steve Martin

Medium good ones that are unknown and new:

Waiting - Ryan Reynolds

Foolproof - Ryan Reynolds

Stark Raving Mad - Sean William Scott

Boondock Saints is great but mentioned a ton above already

• 1 year later...
(edited)

Here's my list of the BEST of the Best Picture winners from the Academy Awards:

All About Eve (1950)

All The King's Men (1949)

American Beauty (1999)

Casablanca (1942)

Gladiator (2000)

Godfather (1972)

Godfather II (1974)

Gone With The Wind (1939)

In The Heat Of The Night (1967)

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)

Mrs. Miniver (1942)

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

Rebecca (1940)

Schindler's List (1993)

-------------------------------------------------

If you haven't seen any of these movies, be sure to rent or buy them. They are among my favorite movies of all time.

Edited by YoMamma

I was a Cinema Studies minor in college, so some of these films may definitely seem obscure or just really old. I tried to pick the ones that piqued my emotions in some way. Sorry if I post movies that have already been mentioned in this forum. I also wrote some notes at the end of each film in case GC has standards for the films they watch too. ;)

Paths of Glory (Stanley Kubrick, 1957)

A war film with an interesting twist on the genre. Minimal blood, black and white film.

Sword of Doom (English Title) (Okamoto Kihachi, 1966)

Samurai film with a morally questionable main character. Bloody, black and white film.

The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, 1940)

Charlie Chaplin film with sound. A comic take on a country resembling Nazi Germany. No blood, black and white film.

Ghost Dog, Way of the Samurai (Jim Jarmusch, 1999)

Film about a modern day assassin who follows the samurai code. Short and few action sequences, but a good film nonetheless. Bloody, has harsh language, color film.

These are just a couple off the top of my head. I'll post some more when I remember good ones.

old boy - "15 years of imprisonment, five days of vengeance."

korean w/ english subtitles. please, please, please don't watch this movie with the engrish dubbed over. it's in my top 3.

[utube]YLn1y9v6yno[/utube]

edit: just saw geek recommended this way back in late '07. first, great pick geek ;). second, just goes to show why trailers were created.

I will back up sj and geek. Oldboy is a must watch action/drama flick. To pique your curiosity: the killer at VaTech mimiced the poses from the poster of this movie in some of his photographs he sent to police.

Oh, and if you haven't seen Will Smith in Six Degrees of Seperation, you must see it. It is based off a play by Tom Stoppard, so you know it's going to be good. Also, this isn't the Will Smith, we grew up with. It's a glimplse of the actor we see later in Ali and Pursuit of Happyness. It has a star studded cast with Stockard Channing, Donald Sutherland, and Ian McKellan. You won't be dissappointed.

• 3 weeks later...
One I thought was going to suck: Kickin' it Old School with Jaime Kennedy (however you spell his name)

It was HILARIOUS

Also, just watched Be Kind Rewind, and I really liked it

I'm sorry I thought Be Kind Rewind was a terrible movie... the whole storyline is flawed and its a movie about making movies... I wouldn't recommend watching it unless you wanna kill some time and have nothing else better to do.

The Last Starfighter was awesome! One of my favorites!

I still say Be Kind Rewind was pretty cool---it had some bad moments, and I don't know what the deal with Mos Def's acting was, but I still enjoyed it overall....

That and the camo scene was hillarious....anyway, try Kickin' it Old School...I really thought that would suck, and I enjoyed it.

A Bridge Too Far: prolly the greatest cast ever put into one movie, the movie just did poorly in the box office.

James Caan,Michael Caine,Sean Connery,Elliott Gould,Gene Hackman,Anthony Hopkins,Laurence Olivier,Robert Redford,Maximilian Schell,John Ratzenberger,Richard Attenborough all in one movie.

The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and Return of the King animated films

Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold

Starship Troopers