Workout Plan

ich bin ein berliner

Sorta funny how this started. Since I stopped swimming a year ago (4 years of NCAA eligibility was up) I have done next to nothing to keep myself in shape. I have been smoking (not talking about cigs) and drinking. I'm lazy and I cant motivate myself that much. Other day at work, I got wind that one of the girls thinks I'm cute. Since I'm not exactly extroverted, I thought that if i started working out, it really can't work against me. Besides the fact that she's the boss' daughter (totally hands off), I thought it would be a good idea to get into the grove again and at least try to look decent for the summer. I'll give a good breakdown of what I want to accomplish within the next six weeks. I've done enough althletics to know how I can do this correctly.

Situation:

- Cardio is shot

- Have not worked out at all in a year

- Chronic back problems

- Slowed my metabolism down to a screeching halt: I figured if I wasn't working out, I could do the lazy man's diet and eat once a day.

How to Solve Problems:

- Cardio: will start on that when i get more motivation

- Start out slow, low weights, lots of reps to get my muscular base back into buisness

- Abs to help my back

- Start eating 3 meals a day

First 2 weeks:

Since my body is in horrible shape, I figure that I should work out every other day for 2 weeks, toning. Since I'm lazy, the shorter the workout is, the easier it will be for me to motivate myself. Taking 20 mins a day is better than having to set an hour aside.

Second 2 weeks:

Use same workout plan (slightly adjusted as i see fit) but workout every day. Using a toning plan every day will help my metabolism get back to the norm and go from a decent muscle base to a solid muscle base.

Third 2 weeks: Add 1 workout to each of my 3 days.

Each workout is 3 sets of 12 reps. 30 seconds rest inbetween sets

Day 1:

Dumbell Bench (pecs)

Curls (biceps)

Standing Flys (Shoulders): What standing flys are: Stand with dumbells at your side, back of your hands facing forward. Lift weights until your elbows are horizontal with the ground, arms make a perfect 90 degrees)

Abs

Day 2:

Skull Crushers (triceps)

Bent Over Rows (lats)

Reverse Curls (forarms)

Abs

Day 3:

Lunges (gluts)

Shoulder Press

Incline Bench

Abs

Ab workout will consist of doing this list twice, a few seconds rest after one run through

30 Crunches

10 Blades (One leg fully extended off the ground 45 degrees, other leg, bent close to body. Arms are straight and off the ground. 10 reps for each leg. So after 10 reps, I extend my bent leg and bend my extended leg)

15 leg raises (both legs straight, 90 degrees with ground, let legs down but not touching the ground)

30 bicycle

This ab workout is very short and it DESTROYS your abs. It takes 8 mins and the next day it will feel like someone knocked the wind out of you. It also covers most of your target ab area. I highly recommend this ab workout. Instead of doing a lot of crunches, it changes things up.

Workout assessment: Negatives is that I am not working my legs enough. I will probably add a leg workout to day 1. I am not working out my back because it hurts like heck. Doing abs will aliviate my back problems. Stronger abs = less strain on back. Just doing the workouts will help my back indirectly.

--------------------------------------------------------

When I post a reply, it appends to my first post, when I want this reponse to be another post

Day 1 (3/10) and 2 (3/12)

Dumbell Bench: 20 lbs each arm

Curls: 10 lbs

Standing Flys: 10 lbs

Abs

Day 2

Skulls: 20 lbs (bar weight not included)

Rows: 20 lbs

Reverse Curls: 16 lbs (bar weight not included)

Abs

My abs kill but I know that I can workout my abs alot, have them hurt and I will still see results. Even 2 days after my first day, my chest kills. No back aggrivation yet so I'm doing something right.

Edited by ich bin ein berliner

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-------------------------------------------------

Seems like my body is taking this new workout quite nicely.

Day 2 weight Adjustments:

Skulls: Increase weight by 6 lbs

Rows: Increase weight by 10 lbs

Reverse curls: Increase weight by 4 lbs

Since I don't hurt that much, I am going to resume with day 3 without a one day break. I'll post weights when I'm finished

Day 3:

Lunges (gluts): 10 lbs each hadn

Shoulder Press: 10 lbs

Incline Bench: 10 lbs

(all barbells)

shoulders hurt during the incline bench, i might change up the ordr of the press and bench on the third day so i don't target my shoulders as much

Abs

I'm going to start doing this every day starting monday.

I just finished speaking with ich. I was doing well in the beginning of this semester. going to the gym 5 days a week for about the first month. it's been 3 weeks and I haven't gone once. I'll do my abs and push ups probably 3-4 times a week, but it's nothing but keeping me from getting sore when I go back to the gym. I need motivation, and ich said it's easier for me to post up everytime i workout and see who lasts longer, rather than post up details and details of data that feels like homework. Which I have a lot of homework, and it'll feel good to get back into the gym.

My workout has targeted my whole body. Since im a little guy, I would like to gain strength overall and get a lil more ripped rather than just looking skinny.

I've done plenty of research and I know how to not hurt myself. I look at the pics I had a year ago, and I was starting something pretty good. I want that back!

My workout:

Mondays: Biceps and Forearms

Tuesday: Chest

Wednesday: Legs

Thursday: Back

Friday: Shoulders and Triceps

Abs pretty much everyday.

I plan on being in the gym roughly for an hour. I have plenty of down time at school I can take advantage of again. I have protein shakes calling my name and I feel very motivated. I will start tomorrow, Friday, and not even wait til Monday to start.

Good Luck Ich. :luxhello:

Hey bud I'm just going to post some ground rules for our challenge:

- Set allowance for missed days, with our schedules its possible that we will miss a few days here and there. You say that you will be lifting 5 days a week, you may want to have a bare minimum of lets say 3 days a week, but you can only do this minimum for 2 weeks in a row (for finals/crazy work hours/social obigations).

- disqualification in one week: (example) 2 postings in one week

- We'll just count lifting weights as counting for a workout, abs we can do at our discression but of course, we should be working them at least 5 days a week

since my workout now is only a half hour and as of today (friday 3/16) i plan to workout every day.

projected: workout every day

minimum: 5 days a week to work out.

disqualify:

- (leeway) No more than 2 weeks posted with 4 workouts. If there are 3 weeks with 4 workouts, I will be disqualified.

- (immediate loss) if there is ANY week with 3 or less postings

I'm going to give you more leeway since your workout is an hour and mine is half the time.

I am a little confused on the qualifications for disqualification lol. I will IM you later.

As of now, I only post up while I'm at school or work. So I should have plenty of time to post up what I did.

one small point.. no reason to cheat by just posting... we'd be only cheating ourselves and the "funness" would be lost.

ok, back to work.. will be posting my workout from friday when I have time.

(edited)

I'm not sure why you changed your days... but anyway.

of course all my units will be reps @ pounds x # of times => like your's.

i'm pretty much not going to use the resistant machines unless it's too busy in the gym, where it's the only thing I can do.

The machines aren't accurate.

3/22

db bench:

12 @ 40 x 2

10 @ 45 x 1

curl bar:

12 @ 40 x 1

12 @ 50 x 1

10 @ 50 x 1

db preacher curls:

12 @ 15 x 3

Bent-Arm Dumbbell Pullover

12 @ 25 x 2

12 @ 30 x 1

db incline curl:

8 @ 20 x 3

machine bench press:

12 @ 100 x 1

12 @ 115 x 1

10 @ 130 x 1

i think it's pretty accurate, but on the light side.

Abs:

hanging knee ups

15 x 2 w/ 10 second rest in between

Edited by ZesteR

day 3 3/23

incline press: 12 @ 16 lbs x 3

right shoulder hurts

leg extensions: 10 @ 54 lbs x 3

(shoulder press not done due to pain in right shoulder)

sub: tricep extensions: 3 @ 28 lbs x 3

no abs, lazy

noticing some small results, forearms are more toned, i have my vein following my bicep and my chest is getting slightly bigger

changing my workout a little bit, over the course of next week i am going to add one exercise to each day. in a week or two i'm just going to change over to my swim workout, more robust and its not that long, only 40 mins.

3/23

No workout in the gym. I was called into work 4 hours early to help move 40lb boxes and machines around to get them ready to install. There was about 45 machines, and the handles that are built in aren't centered with the weight, so it might it awkward to lift and move. I believe this was a sufficent workout.. since I was moving, stacking, carrying, etc. My "workout" was for about 3 1/2 hours. I'm tired and I still have to do my normal job duties til 12am tonight. what a fun friday night...

i'm starving and I have no way of doing abs today.

Ich, how was that intense leg workout?

besides throwing the hotdog down the hallway, the leg workout was probably the only really good thing that came of it. it was a good suppliment to my minor leg workout i did that day. it more or less exausted my quads, which is cool, except i hate stairs now.

day 1 3/24

db bench: 10 @ 30 lbs x 3

curls: 12 @ 16 lbs x 3

butterfly (machine):

10 @ 70

10 @ 70

8 @ 70

standing flys: 8 @ 16 lbs x 3

my biceps are swelling quite nicely after my workout. my triceps are still lacking, I think I'm going too easy on them. I'm going to hammer the hades out of them. since my reverse curls for my 2nd day work out my forearms and biceps, i'll revise my 2nd day to focus on my triceps and my 3rd day to suppliment or tone my triceps more.

unoffical goal to attain: i have a government issue brown t-shirt, the one you wear under BDUs. I wanna look ripped in the shirt, my chest looks alright in it but it needs some work, my arms, I want them to pull the shirt sleeve while my arms are at rest at my sides. ATM my arms only fill the sleeves when i flex, so i got more work to do.

(edited)

3/26

Monday

Biceps:

Alternating Dumbell Curls:

8 @ 20 x 1

8 @ 25 x 2

Standing Curls:

12 @ 30 x 1

12 @ 40 x 1

12 @ 50 x 1

Standing Reverse Curls:

12 @ 30 x 3

Dumbell Preacher Curls:

12 @ 30 x 1

12 @ 40 x 1

10 @ 40 x 1

Forearms:

Behind-the-Back Wrist Curls:

12 @ 45 x 3

Dumbell Wrist Curl

12 @ 15 x 1

12 @ 20 x 1

12 @ 25 x 1

Lower Abs

Hanging Knee Ups

Weight: 126.2 lbs After a big lunch and b4 a protein shake.

cupsOfWaterPerDay = 8;

If (cupsOfWaterPerDay > 1)

{

bathroomTrips++

}

Edited by ZesteR

thats cool you adopted my rep @ weight x sets

day 2 3/26

close handed bench: 12 @ 36 x 3

rows: 10 @ 36 x 3 (increase reps)

reverse curls: 12 @ 20 x 3

added:

tricep extensions (exaust set)

10 @ 44 lbs x 2

14 @ 44 lbs x 1

my body is able to take a greater beating now, after my day 3 of this week, i'm switching to my swim workout. can't wait

my arms are really swollen, very happy

Oh yea, just reading your programming, you never defined bathroomTrips in your scope. idiot

I need to suspend working out for a day or two, I played frisbee yesterday for an hour and a half and my right pec and lat absolutly kill. I don't want to work out until my soreness settles down. I don't want to injure myself. I could do lower weights but since frisbee, I'd be killing my one side and my other side wouldn't be beaten on as much.

Since I'm taking a day or two for recovery, I will switch to my swim workout the next day I want to lift.

I'll have to readjust my disqualifying factors:

Failure if I do not work out more than 3 times a week. This workout was created to do every other day, so I'll probably be doing it 4 times some weeks and 3 times others. Hopefully since I'm not swimming that when I get used to the workout, I can do it habitually 4 or 5 times a week.

(edited)

It's cool ich. I went on a walk Monday night with Kim. It was a very hilly 3.8 mile walk. I measured it today. My calves are pretty sore, and my butt. I only did my abs yesterday b/c I was sore.

3/28

Chest: I usually do this on tuesday, my legs were sore, so I did it today and my walk was for my legs this week.

Bench Press

12 @ 95 x 1

12 @ 115 x 1

10 @ 120 x 1

Dumbbell Press

12 @ 45 x 2

10 @ 45 x 1

Bent-Arm Dumbbell Pullover

12 @ 25 x 1

12 @ 30 x 1

12 @ 35 x 1

Machine Bench Press:

12 @ 100 x 1

12 @ 115 x 1

10 @ 130 x 1

Lower Abs

Hanging Knee Ups

How is your eating habits?

I take my daily vitamin. I have been sleeping in, not really giving myself time for a good breakfast. Usually just a shake and a bar. I workout, then another shake and lunch. I drink water as much as I can.. mostly tea or juice. I have a full dinner every night. speaking of.. mmmm dinner time

Edited by ZesteR

ive been trying to get up earlier so i can eat some sort of breakfast/lunch. i keep forgetting about my shakes im gonna have one in a few minutes. my eating is erratic. on tues i didnt eat until 6 pm. im trying to eat on a consistant basis. only thing i try to monitor regularly is to eat alot of protien. smoking doesnt help because i get munchies late at night and i eat. for the most part, i don't gain substancial (fat) weight. at campus everyone that knows me, knows i play frisbee so i think i'll start playing ultimate as soon as possible to help with some cardio. on to a shake.

(edited)

3/29

Back

Seated Cable Rows I believe this is the stupidest machine ever.. the weights are so weird, and I doubt they are accurate

12 @ 119 x 1

12 @ 136 x 2

Dumbbell Rows

12 @ 35 x 1

12 @ 40 x 2

Reverse Sit-ups

12 @ 10 x 3

Lat Pull-Downs

12 @ 70 x 3

Lower Abs

Hanging Knee Ups

I noticed a huge difference in my ability to lift or pull the weight when I'm more focused or pumped up. I was able to do the last set of lat pull-downs a lot easier. Same with the last set of Dumbbell Rows.

My weight was 126.8 with some clothes, shake, and lunch in me.

Edited by ZesteR

(edited)

3/30

Triceps

Dumbbell Kickbacks

12 @ 15 x 2

12 @ 20 x 1

One-Arm Cable Extensions the machine isn't accurate

12 @ 20 x 1

12 @ 30 x 1

Skull Crushers

12 @ 30 x 2

12 @ 40 x 1

Unassited Dips

12 reps

Pull Downs the machine isn't accurate

12 @ 70 x 1

12 @ 80 x 1

12 @ 90 x 1

Shoulders

Dumbbell Military Press

12 @ 20 x 1

12 @ 25 x 1

12 @ 30 x 1

12 @ 35 x 1

Alternating Dumbbell Front

8 @ 15 x 2

8 @ 20 x 1

Standing Lateral Raise

12 @ 45 x 1

12 @ 55 x 1

12 @ 60 x 1

Lower Abs

Hanging Knee Ups

20 x 2 w/ 10 second rest in between

My nights off from work I do an ab workout at home using one of those balls. It's pretty hard. I get to do it 4-5 days a week. While I do the hanging knee ups while I'm at the gym since I dont have any place to do it at home.

Weight

That was before lunch and shake, small breakfast.

Edited by ZesteR

Ah, very excited to say the least. Going through day 1 was easier than I thought it would be for my upper body. My legs, different story. All i've had today so far is a slap-in-the-face cup of coffee. First part of my workout I had to stop because of cramping (dehydration). My circuit went better than expected. As of right now, I am quitting smoking weed. My buddies I hang out with do it all the time and its hard for me to 'do it every once in awhile'. Quitting is actually easier than doing it sparingly, I don't have to decide whether I can do it or not. I just don't do it. With my money I save, I am going to start a neoprene free weight dumbell set. I'm going to eat a very high protien dinner and head over to Dicks to see if I can pick up a set of 10 pounders.

Here is my new workout.

Niagara University Swimming 2005 Fall workout

Estimated time for full run: 40 mins

Day 1

Squats [revision: leg extensions]:

1 set 12 reps

1 set 12 reps

1 set 10 reps

Flat bench paired with Pitcher Squats (interchange exercises, do one, then the other)

flat bench:1 set 12 reps

pitcher squat: 1 set 12 reps

flat bench: 1 set 8 reps

pitcher squat: 1 set 8 reps

Plate Lunge:

2 sets 10 reps

Circuit x 2 (go through the list once, 2 min rest then another round)

DB Incline Bench: 10 reps

Bentover Row: 10 reps

Plate Raise: 10 reps

Inverted Row: 10 reps

Manual Resistant shoulder press: 10 reps

2 min rest

append: curls

Day 2

Sumo Deadlift: 3 sets of 12 reps

Upright row paired with Incline lunge:

Upright row: 12 reps

Incline Lunge: 12 reps

Upright row: 8 reps

Incline row: 8 reps

Backwards Lunge: 2 sets of 8 reps

Circuit:

DB Shoulder Press

Negative Pullups

DB Bow and Arrow

Push ups

Manual Reistant Towel Rows

2 min rest

append: tri pulldowns

Day 3:

Side Lunge: 2 sets of 8 reps

Box Squat: 2 sets of 10 reps

Incline Bench paired with Alt DB Fly:

Incline Bench: 12 reps

Alt DB Fly: 12 reps

Inc Bench: 10 reps

Alt DB Fly: 10 reps

Circuit

DB Bench

DB Front Raise

DB Row

DB Side raise

2 min rest

Day 1 3/30/07

Day 1

Squats [revision: leg extensions]:

12 @ 36 x 2

10 @ 36 x 1

Flat bench paired with Pitcher Squats (interchange exercises, do one, then the other)

went easy on the bench, my right arm is still slightly sore from frisbee

bench: 12 @ 30

pitcher: 12 @ 20 (10 lbs each hand)

bench: 8 @ 30

pitcher: n/a cramping

revision: bench @ 35, increase second round if necessary. My bench is dumbell so I can't bench as much as I'd like to. I'll slowly increase my weight so its hard but it wont destroy the crap out of my shoulders.

Circuit (each exercise is denoted as 2 sets although I did one of each, then repeated the set

db incline: 10 @ 20 lbs x 2

bent over row: 10 @ 30 x 2

plate raise: 10 @ 25 x 2

inverted row: 10 @ 0

10 @ 5 lbs

MR shoulder press: since i can't do these without another person, i'm going to suppliment with db milltary press, 10 lbs.

Revisions:

db incline: 25

bent over row: 35

plate raise: none

inverted row: 5 lbs for each set

abs

I'll see tomarrow how my body feels. I think in 2 weeks, after 2 full rotations of this workout that I can consistantly do it about 5 days a week.

Right now my failure rate will be no less than 3 workouts a week.

Deuscheland Uber Alles.