LOTR Online Open Beta

[LaW]Maverick

Ok lemme uninstall LoTR and PM you my key

Oh and I think I know why I hate this MMO so much. Turbine, the company that is publishing or making *not sure which* LoTR: Online is the same company that made Asheron's Call 2... which I didn't like very much... has the same feel to it

Edited by Allanon

Ok lemme uninstall LoTR and PM you my key

Oh and I think I know why I hate this MMO so much. Turbine, the company that is publishing or making *not sure which* LoTR: Online is the same company that made Asheron's Call 2... which I didn't like very much... has the same feel to it

AWESOME! You're the man, man.

And whether or not I get hooked to this game, it'll only be temporary until Q3-4 of this year, when games like Hellgate: London, UT3, and Spore come out. :D

Is Hellgate: London actually going to come out finally?

Yeah, I remember hearing about it like two years ago and thought it was coming out the next summer or something. As long as it isn't another HL2/DNF.

I tried this game and it sucks. I guess its a matter of opinion. :D

Same... the mechanics had me barfing, no offense Mav. Standing and attacking a wolf with a sword for 40 seconds just doesn't seem that interesting. I understand with the old games like Ultima Online and EverQuest the technology wasn't there to a lot else, but LoTR: Online really seemed like it hadn't advanced at all...

Standing and attacking a wolf with a sword for 40 seconds just doesn't seem that interesting.

Ya the fighting takes Waaaaaaaaaaaay too long i was fighting a goblin for like a minute. :boo:

Same... the mechanics had me barfing, no offense Mav. Standing and attacking a wolf with a sword for 40 seconds just doesn't seem that interesting. I understand with the old games like Ultima Online and EverQuest the technology wasn't there to a lot else, but LoTR: Online really seemed like it hadn't advanced at all...

Lol...you guys don't know how to fight then...took me like 10 seconds tops to kill a wolf. On lvl. 1 I was killing them a heck of a lot faster than I've killed stuff in most games. Of course, a lot of it may depend on class. In any case, I'm positive it didn't take me any longer to kill things than it did in Guild Wars, and I'm killing those wolves faster in this than I did in WoW.

When I had a friend, I couldn't even bust out special attacks before stuff died. I thought it was a little too easy to be honest.....lol, which is funny and ironic :-)

^ I bet it was related to the class choice. I started playing yesterday, and monsters all drop pretty quickly. But then, I chose the "Champion" class (which is geared around DPS), so that's by design. Maybe they were playing a support class?

That's my point, the classes are unbalanced in combat. While yes a support class should not do as much damage as a DPS class in the higher levels, but at level 1 they should all be able to kill a wolf in less then 20 seconds if not less then 10. Moving around is so clunky that I got annoyed trying to fight.

While yes I think LOTR: Online can be improved and has the potential to be a good game, as of now I don't see it as any different then the old MMO's.

Meh, I agree that there aren't any huge differences between LOTRO and other MMO's (it's geared to be more like FFXI, which is a good thing in my opinion, and that game does very well still), but the reason I'm playing it is the setting, and the fact that there is a story.

I'm hoping some bugs are cleared up before it launches fully, but if they aren't, I think I'll still play it for a while.

For the record, I too chose Champion, and, as in FFXI, It seems the support classes kill slower even at the lower levels. I have a feeling that, in higher levels, the game will become fairly party dependent, unless the builds get more soloing ability as the level...

I was doing some reading on the game, and Mav is dead on -- it IS party dependent. There were a few times when my character's health dropped pretty low (taking on 2-3 monsters a level or two higher), but I bet that doesn't happen with the healing class.

As far as movement goes, I think it's rather clunky too. But then, so do games like WoW, Guild Wars, C:SS, etc. Compared to UT, that is. :) Also, it'd be nice if you could get behind monsters more easily to evade attacks.

I was doing some reading on the game, and Mav is dead on -- it IS party dependent. There were a few times when my character's health dropped pretty low (taking on 2-3 monsters a level or two higher), but I bet that doesn't happen with the healing class.

As far as movement goes, I think it's rather clunky too. But then, so do games like WoW, Guild Wars, C:SS, etc. Compared to UT, that is. :) Also, it'd be nice if you could get behind monsters more easily to evade attacks.

Personally Mav I don't think it has a very compelling story... I like the mission format of Guild Wars much more.

^ Yeah, the missions are WAY better in GW. In games like LoTRO and WoW, I've noticed all of the missions are more cut-and-dry. I like the missions/quests that roll together to progress the storyline, rather than doing missions and finding out what else happens in the story (if that makes sense).

^ Yeah, the missions are WAY better in GW. In games like LoTRO and WoW, I've noticed all of the missions are more cut-and-dry. I like the missions/quests that roll together to progress the storyline, rather than doing missions and finding out what else happens in the story (if that makes sense).

i don't even read end of that stuff... if they only talked. reading is over rated.