Looking for DDR2 1066 Deal

ZeroDamage

I am looking for DDR2 Kit of 2-Gig from a known brand that is at a good price. Prefer a known brand such as OCZ, Geil, G Skill, etc. If anyone has anything, please post them up. Be great if there were something under 300 bucks with this size and speed that was also cas latency of 4.

quick search results show not much at all with that speed and those timings (especially for under $300). If you go to 5-5-5-15 timings or similar, there are a lot of options. Would you consider going with DDR800 memory with tighter timings and then consider overclocking from there? Might be another option to consider. This higher end ram stuff frequently requires you to fiddle with your BIOS clocking settings to get it to run the way you want it to anyways. Just a thought. I can post several links to RAM with lower stock clock speeds or higher latency if you like.

Well, this is what I got from Mwave. The bus speed of the processor is 1066.

# INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6420 (BX80557E6420) 2.13GHZ EM64T DUAL CORE W/4MB CACHE 1066MHZ LGA775-PIN RETAIL BOXED W/COOLING FAN (3 YEARS WARRANTY)FREE 512MB USB 2.0 FLASH DRIVE

I think cujo posted in an earlier thread last week regarding the fact that linking your FSB of the processor and RAM speeds doesn't make much of a difference for the newer parts such as your processor and DDR2 ram. I will be running DDR2 800 ram with my E6600 (fsb 1066) when my RAM finally gets here. You would probably be better off going with DDR2 800 ram with cas4 latency. Should be barely noticeable difference in speed and would save you quite a bit of money.

I read latency does not affect speed as much in real world application as does speed...

I have my cpu running at 3.4 (1511/4*9)ghz and my ram running at 755mhz.... it's as fast as I need for anything I do. Actually, it's still faster than I "need". 5-5-5-12

Then I say buy a set of DDR2 800 with latency 4 or 5 (dirt cheap these days) and overclock it if you need more than the 800MHz. There are several name brands at that speed that are great for overclocking.

That's at least what I would do. If you want to spend $300+ on 2GB of DDR2 1066, be my guest :D

Finding benchmarks that explain this and show the different results is difficult to come by. What I do not want to do is dumb-down or slow down my system because the RAM is not in sync with the CPU/mobo bus speed.

What I've also noticed is that a lot of the RAM being spec'd as 1066 has reviews on newegg with consumers saying how easily they OC'd it to 1066; this makes me wonder if maybe this RAM was originally touted as 800 and they just changed the spec to 1066 later.

This is what I get for being an AMD guy all this time.

A ton of the reviews for DDR2 800 ram like corsair XMS2, OCZ, and others mention easily overclocking to speeds higher than rated. Corsair dominator ram might be something to look at for this too. I'd say buy the "lower spec" and blow by those higher speeds having spent less money. :D

There is no guarantee that the 800 mhz RAM will hit 1066 which is the default bus speeds for the CPU and Mobo. That is why I am looking to not buy that RAM. I am building from the ground up (minus the sound and hard drives) and want to make sure I am not buying stuff that is out of date. I may not be able to upgrade again for a while.

Here's the link to the thread where cujo explains the whole 1:1 ratio thingy:

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...p;hl=linked+ram

basically, from what he's saying (and I trust it), DDR2 RAM actually runs at 400MHz (Double Data Rate gives it 800MHz rating), which means your CPU FSB would have to be running at 400MHz also. On the Core 2's, their number of 1066MHz actually comes from 4x267MHz, meaning your FSB is actually running at 267MHz. With the new processors and DDR2 ram, the 1:1 ratio really isn't important like it was with older athlon systems and stuff.

Anyways, just read that thread I posted above, cujo does a better job of explaining it than I just did.

Edited by boilersax

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820144019

That is the only cas 4 set that Newegg sells and the only set even close to the price you are asking for. I searched all over and most places have nothing less than cas 5 in the 1066 range. If you wanted a lower latency you either need to buy the Geil RAM or opt for a lower speed. Not good options but Geil makes good RAM that is known for good OCing. GLHF

Here's the link to the thread where cujo explains the whole 1:1 ratio thingy:

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...p;hl=linked+ram

basically, from what he's saying (and I trust it), DDR2 RAM actually runs at 400MHz (Double Data Rate gives it 800MHz rating), which means your CPU FSB would have to be running at 400MHz also. On the Core 2's, their number of 1066MHz actually comes from 4x267MHz, meaning your FSB is actually running at 267MHz. With the new processors and DDR2 ram, the 1:1 ratio really isn't important like it was with older athlon systems and stuff.

Anyways, just read that thread I posted above, cujo does a better job of explaining it than I just did.

Yeah, I know how it all works since the AMD divider is x2 and the intel is x4. My confusion is whether the 800 - 1066 is much of a difference. I still think I am going to go with the 1066 memory since going lower than what my system can do would be silly I think. I am thinking the extra bandwidth by going from 800 to 1066 will make up for the cas latency hike to 5 from 4.

About the difference from 800-1067 and the 5-4 I'd say heck yes to that.

I still think it's not worth it really... :( I mean, if "the cujo"'s got 800 ram, then it cant be that bad :D. I've seen the OCZ ddr2 800 OC'd to 900+, but not 1066. I've also seen some G-Skill @ 960mhz w/ 4-4-4-12. I dont think you have to worry about "outdating" your RAM - save the extra $100-$200 and put it elsewhere. Just my opinion. If you want to spend the extra $$$ on it, then good luck getting stuff for cheap. Maybe just wait a while to spot a good deal.

I would prolly go with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820220161

or this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231128

I've had good luck with G-skill and Patriot RAM in the past. Plus both are $100 less than you were saying before.

Other thoughts would be that the improved performance by dropping to CL4 would not be worth the full $131 that you have to pay for it.

I'm sure you already have done this, but just remember to check that your motherboard has no known issues with whatever brand you decide to go with :D

I'd be interested to see some benchmarks comparing RAM with 800 and 1066 timings just for my own curiosity.

I'm sure you already have done this, but just remember to check that your motherboard has no known issues with whatever brand you decide to go with :D

I'd be interested to see some benchmarks comparing RAM with 800 and 1066 timings just for my own curiosity.

Buy me 2 gigs and I'll benchmark them for ya...

i'll pay for your ram if you notice a difference between 800 and 1066. again, what boiler said quoting me, and i don't think you get it zd, is that ram and cpu both running at 1066 doesn't mean they're in sync. it would actually be a 1:2 ratio cpu:ram. cpu at 266 and ram running at 533fsb. ddr stands for double data rate. the 2 at the end of ddr2 means second gen ddr. same as with vid cards. my ram on my vid card is spec'd at 2ghz but really it's 1ghz ddr. also, it happens to be ddr4, the 4th gen.

intel runs a fsb and quad pumps it giving 266x4. the fsb is how the cpu, ram and north bridge communicate. on athlon xp systems it made huge difference if not run in sync. on p4 and newer it makes very little difference running them in sync if any. my cpu is stock 800fsb and i'm running my fsb at 1280. my ram is at 800 still using a divider.

all a64 uses hyper transport instead of fsb. this runs at 800 or 1000mhz and then is full duplex giving the 2000mhz "fsb" that crappy computer companies advertise and confuse everyone.

Good way to word all that to make it simple Cujo. You also need to realize that just because your RAM and CPU are in sync does not mean they will run better, faster or more efficient. Also I have never heard of any mobo that had difficulty with G-Skill RAM (some noob idiots say it does, but nothing from the mobo companies)

First, I will point out what I am thinking and you set the record straight.

1. My CPU bus speed is 1066 (266 * 4)~

2. DDR2 RAM is still double data rate but the transfer speed is quad which is acquired by sacrificing CAS latency

3. The G-skill RAM I posted above is clcoked at 533 and is effectively 1066 since it is Double Pumped.

4. In Reality the CPU fsb is clocked at 266 and the RAM is clocked at 533.

I get everything you've said now that I've reviewed it and laid everything out. :)

Now I need to see some benchmarks between the 800 and 1066 speeds.