There may come a time...

So, today was the culmination of my 2+ month battle with mediacrap. After 2 hours on the phone, numerous times on hold, being stood up twice, I finally got a tech to come to the house.

Now, let me preface his visit by saying

a. Prior to visit, myself and mediacom's phone lackeys have tried to eliminate all possible variables, one at a time: cables, routers, malware, etc...

b. They acknowledged my lack of bandwidth and my p/l rate.

c. One of the techs I talked to was actually a gamer (BF2 and CSS) so he felt my pain.

The guy that shows up today, was sort of a noob. He had trouble using the DOS cmd window, he couldn't spell "release," he talked about his friends in jail. Needless to say (but I will) I didn't have much hope.

Until this time, I pretty much figured my problems were caused by one or more of three things: bad line from the pole/node, bad modem, or oversold bandwidth.

So after 45 min and a call to their field technician support staff...We find out that I have a "saturation" problem. He said our bandwidth was about 95% saturated most of the time. He said that would explain dropped signals, p/l, not being able to ping Nepenthe (and other ip addys)...Now, I could have probably told him that too.

He got them to initiate a trouble ticket to their engineers, but he said nothing would happen for at least 2 weeks. After that time, he said they may make changes to the nodes/hardware to support more bandwidth in our neighborhood, or they may not. He said if not, then keep bugging them.

So basically, like with most services that have a finite amount of supply...I'm at the mercy of a multi-million dollar company that has shown just how little they care about their customers. That is why they know they can promise X amount of bandwidth and not really deliver on it. Most people don't know any better.

If I could get DSL where I'm at, I would leave mediacom and never look back. So until another solution presents itself...I'm screwed.

So, maybe I'll see you guys soon, maybe not. But I sure miss it.

<_<

Edited by Tek-Almighty

gonna take a road trip up there with a weapon and beat the crap out of a random mediacom employee

I hate tech guys who have no clue as to what they are doing. Ever think about a paintball gun? You can wack them over the head like you want to with it but has the added use of reaching mediacom techs on the pole. Get the pleasure of punishment without the finality of death.

Sounds like the problem I had with Comcast. Node overloadage. Lame time for me but they fixed it in like 2-3 months. WHile not playing online games I had time to do new things like sticking a hot soldering iron into my ear canal.