Changing Priorities

boiler

Here's a somewhat more serious topic for discussion, and I'd like some thoughts or comments on it.

I've had a number of significant developments in my life over the last six months or so, and have started to take a step back and reevaluate my life and what's important to me. I got married, bought a house, adopted a 3 year old Labrador retriever, and decided to try to start my own business all within the last four months. That's a TON of stuff to change all at once, I know.

Adopting the dog this past weekend and my resulting activities this week has gotten me to rethink a few things. I used to get home from work and play games for an hour or so until the wife gets home from work, then have dinner, work around the house or relax with her, then go to bed. This was a big change from the massive amount of gaming I used to do before marriage, but I was alright with it. (for the record, the wife does not game, but she doesn't care that I do either) I've found though that with the new dog, and the prospect of kids in another three years (crosses fingers) I just don't feel like coming home and gaming much anymore. I'd rather take the dog for a walk and play fetch with him, do projects around the house, and work on developing my business. The worst part is I can't remember the last time I played anything on my "gaming" computer. The little gaming time I've had recently has been on my xbox online with a few of my friends. I now feel guilty for having such a nice gaming computer that never gets used and am thinking of selling it to go towards a new TV, furniture, or something else for the house.

I don't really know how to feel about all of this, I never really thought that I would lose my passion for gaming, considering how much of it I have done over the years. I find myself now thinking of other things I would rather be doing with my time, and I am ESPECIALLY thinking of the other things I could have if I sold my gaming computer. I have a very nice Inspiron 9400 that I use 98% of the time that could still run CSS or other games at decent and playable quality. I just can't seem to justify my custom built baby anymore, and it makes me a little sad I guess. It's a luxury that I just don't NEED anymore.

Has anyone else gone through this? I'm guessing some of the older guys with families might have gone through something like this already. I still love to play games, but it's so hard to find time for it anymore, I'm trying to keep everything in perspective. For those that have faced this, what have you done? I guess I just need to vent this out there to someone to help reinforce my thoughts. Sorry this is so long guys, thanks for reading!

ive gone through this 2-3 times, go the cheaper route. I made a goliath of a computer, then sold it because I just realized I dropped $2k on CSS, and I almost cried. I now have a little dell computer that can put out 60-70+fps constantly and im happy. Only cost me 400 bucks.

it sounds as if you are going through some very healthy changes. Realizing that your family takes priority over gaming. This is a good thing. Feel good regarding the maturing process you are going through. Not saying that someone who likes to game alot is immature. Simply saying that family and domestic duties should always have one's focus over gaming. When there is a healthy balance then gaming can be fun, when it controls one's life that it can create all kinds of problems on the home front. I am sure plenty of marriages have bit the dust because of someone in the family devoting all their free time to it.

ive gone through this 2-3 times, go the cheaper route. I made a goliath of a computer, then sold it because I just realized I dropped $2k on CSS, and I almost cried. I now have a little dell computer that can put out 60-70+fps constantly and im happy. Only cost me 400 bucks.
qft

(edited)

I've done this many times. Ill go a year or so without playing CS and then one day, Ill get back into it for a little while. I bought a house last year and got a dog. I didnt play for about a year. Recently decided to get back into it a little bit and thats how it goes. Just take a long break from it. Once you play again you will have more fun.

I've been a member of these forums since 02. And that was when they decided to get new ones and delete the old forums. Have I been playing CS for 5+ years straight? No.

Edited by NOFX

i'm in the same boat with nofx, i've gone back and forth for many years.. there's peopel around these forums who have seen me come and go about 4 times in the 8 years i've been gaming. Do what you have to do. Stay Responsible but most of all still try and enjoy life, games or no games.

Similar to what M2 said, what's the return on investment for your time and efforts? Yes, gaming relieves stress. But that time could be spent improving your house or *gasp* adding to the emotional bank by watching a chick flick w/ the wife.

Right now I'm working on finishing the basement instead of playing CSS... all while Bub watches from afar (HINT,HINT, NUDGE, NUDGE).

I've talked it out and everythings fine, I'm not worried at all. I agreed to sell my gaming pc to my friend for a large chunk of money, so I'm looking forward to getting a nice big HDTV :D

Thankfully my laptop is more than serviceable for CSS, so I can still frag with y'all every once in a while. Thanks guys!