Bragging and Benchmarking

ZeroDamage

• 4 months later...

Anybody have an update on a license for Vantage?...I don't wanna keep posting 3Dmark06 scores when I oc but it's all I have. Still valid for me, as my efforts are showing some improvements.

Got my GTX 260 c 216 running at 660 core and 2100 memory...my e8400 is now at 3.6 ghz. Running the 190.62 drivers.

New results:

16,257 3Dmarks, that is up from mid 15,000s. I'll take it.

Anybody have an update on a license for Vantage?...I don't wanna keep posting 3Dmark06 scores when I oc but it's all I have. Still valid for me, as my efforts are showing some improvements.

Got my GTX 260 c 216 running at 660 core and 2100 memory...my e8400 is now at 3.6 ghz. Running the 190.62 drivers.

New results:

16,257 3Dmarks, that is up from mid 15,000s. I'll take it.

update as in? looking for a vantage key?

• 3 weeks later...

Stock speed in 3dmark06 around 16700-16900. OCing the vid card to 705/1585 gives about 17150-17300.

Just did a simplistic "Dummy OC" to 3.5Ghz.

3dMark 06 = 19617

SM2.0 - 8347

SM3.0 - 8359

CPU - 6136

After OCing to 3.8Ghz and GTX275 to 710/1585/1240:

3dmark06 = 21223

SM2.0 - 8689

SM3.0 - 9183

CPU - 6614

Max CPU temp: 69

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=12108429

post-1100-125441976926.jpg

Intel 860 Lynnfield (3.8Ghz)(Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler) - EVGA P55-sli - 4GB Corsair Dominator 7/7/7/20 - EVGA GTX275 710/1585/1240 -

2x 640GB WD Caviar Black - Corsair 850HX - Antec 900-2

3dmark06 = 21223

Lotsa folks hitting 4.0 - 4.4 on that thing. I just did a stupid-man OC... crank the the volts and the (other number I cant drunkenly remember that starts at 133).. and see what happens. If I put anywhere NEAR the work into it that I did for the Opty ( I obsessed for a month...ask Cujo) I could blow past 4.0.

Im very happy with this system. No complaints at all. Even if you go totally 100% stock, it'll put you automatically to around 3.4-3.5 for most gaming apps.

(Oh.... did I mention cryostasis SUCKS NEVER EVER EVER spend a single penny on it)

• 3 weeks later...

Hhhahahah wow. (oh - at 1920x1080)

With the turbo OFF, and the GPU 100% stock (I never run it that way...was for fun), and running the CPU at 2.8 (never happens, I have to actively disable the turbo to make it hold that slow at stock).....

I got 285.96 fps in css.....that is just .... wow.

I wonder what Q3 Arena will get me :)

Someday, Ill drink too much, and run the same test OCd....

system in siggy except stock not oc;d

• 1 month later...

I picked up a Intel E5200 for $40 on black friday. Not much of an upgrade from my E2160, more or less just an overclocking toy.

I almost freaked out, my BIOS cpu temps posted 90c at boot, and would shortly shut down. Had to disable the CPU overheat auto shutdown, once booted into windows Core Temp posted 31c.

Also for some reason the multiplier is stuck on 12x, should be 12.5x but I cant change the multiplier now like I could with my old E2160. I'm using the same BIOS rev. No problem though since I'm overclocking, just strange.

Another annoying this is that since my motherboard thinks my CPU is at >90c, the fan runs wide open now. :( Having to use SpeedFan to slow it down to 55%, but the program always defaults back to 100% when I reboot. Any ideas, or maybe another program. I plan on getting a quiet hs/fan but I can't right now.

One last thing, why is 1 core always 5-6c hotter then the other while under load? My old cpu was always within 1c.

3dMark Vantage

E2160 1mb @ 3.2 - 10990

E5200 2mb @ 4.0 - 11032

Big whopping 42 point difference. This benchmark is bust.

CSS

1600x1200 all max but AA 4x

270fps

Fallout 3

specific save point with lowerst fps I could find using Fraps

old E2160 - 63

new E5200 - 78

My fallout fps increased 25%, not bad for a $40 upgrade. I'm totally happy with my purchase plus I have a use for my old CPU.

e5200at4000.jpg

Just got a new workstation at work yesterday, and it is freaking sweet. 2 quad core Opterons (8 total cores), 12Gig ram, nVidia Quatro 1800, 2 146gig 15k SAS drives in hardware raid 0. I have it running fedora 12, and it flies. I have to find a good benchmarking tool for linux and I'll post some results up.

Another annoying this is that since my motherboard thinks my CPU is at >90c, the fan runs wide open now. :( Having to use SpeedFan to slow it down to 55%, but the program always defaults back to 100% when I reboot. Any ideas, or maybe another program. I plan on getting a quiet hs/fan but I can't right now.

idk about your cpu fan, but I use rivatuner for my gpu because it sets it way too low for the temps. It also starts whenever I start windows.

You can't set speedfan and have it stay even through reboots? Or are you using cold storage or something like that? (Best anit-virus software EVER) :)

just thought i'd post an update. i've downgraded my gfx cards from 2 x 4870 to 2 x 8800gtx. i've upgraded my monitors though. i now have 2 x dell u2410.

i did this cause i mainly play css and i wanted the additional desk space for work. i still get over 100fps everywhere in source. and in dirt 2 i'm averaging 40fps with everything maxxed at 1920. 8800gtx in sli still has some nice power. definitely performance decrease in gta4 but i don't play it much anymore.

some day i plan on getting a 3rd u2410 and then a new ati card to use eyefinity.

I didnt check it or realize before... I was running my Dominator GT ram at 1333 with STD timings. I tried putting it to the stock 7-7-7-20 its rated at 1600- constant crashes. After 2 months of forum work, Yellowbeard/Corsair_Mike recommended a RMA because my XMP profile was written wrong. These CPUs are rated up to around 80C or something crazy as compared to my AMD at 55C. I think Ill try for a 4.0+ afterwards. Ive pushed this Vidcard much harder then I posted. It handles pretty well as long as you have some software for the fan (using EVGA precision). Id like a good Vantage score, but I have the demo and only one shot, so I am waiting until everything is set before I hit it.

I have to admit, my favorite thing about this chipset is the turbo. I overestimated before, it usually hits 3.1-3.4 when gaming. But it is not officially an OC cuz that only happens when it applies the volts to a single or double core. Although I couldnt really bench it, Id have to overall OC it above that to count.

Now they are coming out with better PCIE2 options, so there is hope for this chipset. It was pretty limited with its x16 or x8x2 before.

Cujo.....wth? Why?

Why couldnt you keep those cards along with the new monitors. If they handle 3, what could possibly be the problem with 2?

Ill tell you what the best thing was... even with the Opty, if I had some things open and ran an Office app like Word, there would be a definite noticeable pause.... disks whirring and CPU thinking.

With this, it is Instant.

I mean, instant. No matter what is going on, I can have firefox playing a vid and a game running in the background, I can INSTANTLY open a Word or Access on the other monitor...its great. :)

Oh. Cryostasis SUCKS, and Borderlands was fun until I hit the ending WAY before I expected (with a stupid story ending).

then whats this 3-monitor eyefinity stuff about?

the new 5xxx series ati cards support up to 3 or 6 monitors on one card depending on connection ports included.

do a quick browse of hardocp forum for eyefinity setups. pretty sick. you can basically span your games across multiple monitors and run crazy high resolution.

idk about your cpu fan, but I use rivatuner for my gpu because it sets it way too low for the temps. It also starts whenever I start windows.

You can't set speedfan and have it stay even through reboots? Or are you using cold storage or something like that? (Best anit-virus software EVER) :)

I downloaded someone's IP35 profile and worked fine with my IP35-E motherboard after a few tweaks. Finally figured out how to make SpeedFan remember my settings and all is well. It's working as well as the BIOS controller, just have to wait till windows loads for my fan to slow down.

Also bumped my cpu voltage down a notch, dropped my temps from 60 to 55/56 (both cores maxed).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

3DMark Vantage Score: P8005

GPU Score: 6292

CPU Score: 43683

Core i7 860 running 3.8Ghz on Air, 8GB RAM, 9800 GT Ultimate

Just got my 5870 installed, and got the hacked nVidia drivers to run PhysX on the 9800 Ultra.

3DMark Vantage Score: P20828

GPU Score: 17689

CPU Score: 44533

A rather significant jump.

Well thanks to Bush, I finally got 3DMark vantage up and running. I have Windows 7RC1 up (free!) so there may be some issues with that, but at least I can post the "latest" bench tool scores.

P12360 3DMarks

CPU Score

Graphics Score

That is running 4GB of DDR2, C2D e8400 @ 3.4 ghz, GTX 260 core 216 @ 660 core and 2100 mem.

I am going to go back to my 2.6 OC of my proc. and see what it gets me. More later.

If I am a good boy, then this summer, I will rebuild with i7 920, new DDR3, and a new GPU. *crosses fingers.

• 1 month later...

New comp up and running all weekend!

Core i5 750 (OC to 3.2GHz from 2.66)

Asus P7P55D

4GB (2x2) G.Skill Ripjaws (1600MHz)

XFX HD5770 XXX

Antec Earthwatts 650

Antec P182

Ran fine Thursday through Saturday on stock frequencies, then did the overclocking Saturday night. Simple bump of the multiplier got the CPU up to 3.2, with more room to grow. Didn't want to get too adventurous. Had to enable OC settings for the RAM to get to 1600MHz (rated speed for that RAM), piece of cake.

Playing through Crysis for several hours with no problems at all.

Settings:

1920x1080, all settings very high except shadows, motion blur, particles, and a couple others I can't remember off the top of my head. Average frame rates around 38FPS with low dips into the 27 range. Very playable for me, very happy! :luxhello:

Didn't download 3DMark Vantage though, didn't want to pay for the benchmarking stuff.