Episode 2

Tek-Almighty

I have to say that the source engine upgrades and new visuals are pretty nice. Nothing super breath-taking. But it's been enough to cause a 20-25 FPS drop in my frames in the complex outdoor areas with trees, water, mist etc...

I am kinda peeved that I still get some random glitches/pauses in some spots just like Ep. 1.

The voice acting is still great, music great, action...well. Sort of a slow start in this episode, just like Ep. 1. I won't spoil for anyone.

I am also kinda peeved that I had to pay $29.95 for just Episode 2. I didn't want all contents of Orange Box. I don't need HL2, CSS, Ep1...already own. I don't want TF2...and I am interested in Portal, but why pay for extra crap and have to download 13gb of stuff?

NEways...

Hopefully more people will add to this discussion as they play...

GLHF!

I don't know if I'm even going to buy the "Orange Box." I have HL2 and HL2:Ep1. If Ep2 is anything like Ep1, it sure as heck isn't worth $30. The only reason I got Ep1 was because there was a deal at CircuitCity for $20 if you buy Ep1 and Day of Defeat:Source together.

I would like to know if TF2 and Ep2 are worth the $50 for the Orange Box. Any opinions?

Edited by YoMamma

Finished it last night...lots of fun and quite long from what I was expecting. Visuals are great and there are many parts where you can tell they stepped up the production value of the game, really seemed cinematic to me this time around.

I had no stuttering or visual defects of any kind, heck the only issues I had were with my hardware sucking, otherwise it ran great.

Only got 5 minutes into portal so can't really comment.

Think of it as HL2 ep2 + portal + TF2 with HL2 and episode 1 thrown in free.

The blackbox was listed as 40 bucks before they canceled it? So technically it's a boon for people who don't have HL2 and Ep 1 and extra money for people who don't... so it's not free... it's just some extra money that valve squeezed out of our pockets (those who preordered/bought) it.

ive got to say that there are some great combinations of fighting with soundtrack style music in EP2 that really got my attention. like it more than EP1

I agree with Nick... while the episodic content is a little frustrating because you get little doses and then have to wait (in the case of valve, wait, and wait, and wait) for more... but I am really enjoying Episode 2 so far... I hope 3 doesn't take a year to finish :\

The game has an amazing story and the way it is laid out is so good at convincing you that you are really Gordon Freeman. You get this sense of attachment to the characters and what not. Yeah, the ending is one that will go down in video game history without a doubt. HL series is by far my all time favorite with Bio Shock as a close second. This is one of those occasions where "art" can be used to describe a game.

pitfall... how in the heck do i jump that car, im stuck!

If you mean jumping that car across the bridge to get to the White Forest, Spoiler:

go up on the broken side of the bridge and use your gravity gun and knock the cars weighing the bridge down. Once they're all off, you can jump to the other side.

Well I'm a liar. I bought the orange box today. If I dont love it, you all owe me $60 (a piece).

Is this your first foray into HL2...?

You will love it...

It's almost better than maple syrup, hockey, beer.

Naw, I've played HL, HL2, HL2e1 as well. Heck I even tried a few rounds of CS:S!

So far I'm almost at the car (in the warehouse or something like that). Those caves were kick-butt. Finally nice to play in something that's not all just straight edges with textures. Sick crawling through those small wet ones! :)

1 - dont eat much maple syrup - im a student and cook for myself (it gets pretty plain!)

2 - i SUCK at hockey, though watching the leafs lose and get out of the playoffs is fun

3 - not a drinker ;) but i like pepsi?

• 1 month later...

so wait.... HL2 is NOT HL2 Ep1?

Hmm now that Im thinking about it, I think I actually remember Ep1 coming out later.

So, since I only played the str8 HL2 from way back...the orange box might be a really good purchase for me. Id get Ep1 AND Ep2 AND Portals to keep me entertained in my single-player dial-up world.

Zero- (or anyone else playing bioshock) : I didnt buy it because it required internet to activate and I didnt even have dial up at the time. Are there any massive downloads I should worry about or anything? Or could I buy it, register it over dial up, then play it SP style?

so wait.... HL2 is NOT HL2 Ep1?

Hmm now that Im thinking about it, I think I actually remember Ep1 coming out later.

So, since I only played the str8 HL2 from way back...the orange box might be a really good purchase for me. Id get Ep1 AND Ep2 AND Portals to keep me entertained in my single-player dial-up world.

Zero- (or anyone else playing bioshock) : I didnt buy it because it required internet to activate and I didnt even have dial up at the time. Are there any massive downloads I should worry about or anything? Or could I buy it, register it over dial up, then play it SP style?

I have Bioshock for Xbox 360, but I know for the PC one, you should be able to dial up to activate, but I don't think you need it after that unless you want the patches. There is a new patch being released this week that will include new plasmids as well (available for free over xbox live for those that have it as well).

The whole game is single player by the way, so once you're activated you should be good to go.

You will want to take it to a friends house who has broadband to get all of the updates. The cool thing about steam is that you can move the entire folder (or copy) to another hard drive and everything still works. Copy everything to an external hard drive, go to a buddies house (that you trust) and do the update there. Then bring it back and put the data back on your computer.