Facebook was sold!

EbilDustBunny

I know there was a separate facebook thread, but, I've only been on there for about 3 months and if I get bitten by one more person, invited to pet somone's elephant, given the opportunity to grow a gift for someone, requested to add a graveyard etc. etc. I'm seriously tempted to close my account.

I never had a myspace account and never intend to, but the way things are going Facebook appears to be fast becoming the illegitamate child of Myspace and some 15 year old CS player who would not be welcome on the GC servers.

I don't even get why big companies invest in companies like Facebook and Youtube. They're not big money makers, everything is free... and if you charge you will won't make that big of a profit... oh well...

Subscription is free... but it is all about ADVERTISING!!!!! They are HUGE HUGE HUGE money makers. Google had revenues of about $11.4 BILLION operating profits of about $8.8 BILLION dollars over the last year. All for a services that are free. Why do you think Google is worth 630 a share... and has more money than god? Sites like facebook and youtube cost the user nothing but as long as tons of people use em every day (or all day) advertisers will spend much coin.

I don't even get why big companies invest in companies like Facebook and Youtube. They're not big money makers, everything is free... and if you charge you will won't make that big of a profit... oh well...

oh, thats why microsoft said they were only worth 15 bil, my bad

Subscription is free... but it is all about ADVERTISING!!!!! They are HUGE HUGE HUGE money makers. Google had revenues of about $11.4 BILLION operating profits of about $8.8 BILLION dollars over the last year. All for a services that are free. Why do you think Google is worth 630 a share... and has more money than god? Sites like facebook and youtube cost the user nothing but as long as tons of people use em every day (or all day) advertisers will spend much coin.

Still doesn't make that much money... even with advertising Youtube and Facebook simply aren't worth it. There was a great article in the economist about how big companies are wasting their money on these small ventures...

Well there are far richer and economically smarter folks that strongly disagree with you. :) (not myself)

Whether it is to be recouped by earnings from the offshoot or just to keep another company from buying it and getting that much more exposure... they are worth it. No one spends that much money for no reason (except maybe the government)

Still doesn't make that much money... even with advertising Youtube and Facebook simply aren't worth it. There was a great article in the economist about how big companies are wasting their money on these small ventures...

Well there you go, Facebook is no small venture. Seriously, you're completely missing the ridiculously enormous network that is Facebook, any stake in that is an asset for a major corporation like MS.

Well there you go, Facebook is no small venture. Seriously, you're completely missing the ridiculously enormous network that is Facebook, any stake in that is an asset for a major corporation like MS.

Bah I need to remember what is was talking about. but I trust the economist and found it very interesting... let me dig through my old issues and see if I can find it.

sounds like allanon just looks at the pictures in the economist.

http://www.economist.com/research/articles...tory_id=9904716

And Microsoft and Google now appear tempted to add more froth by investing a silly sum in Facebook, the latest big thing. All three—the internet telephone firm, the video site and the social network—make almost no money. EBay's disappointment with Skype is a timely reminder of where this fad might lead.

Also

http://www.economist.com/research/articles...tory_id=9990635

and

it seems advertising is as useful as Google because

But Facebook has only “large crowds who are communicating without expressing specific interests” ... On Google, advertisements are valued; on Facebook they are an annoyance that users ignore.
Edited by Allanon

If microsoft or google did not think they would see profit in the future by investing in facebook, why would either be willing to drop 240 million on it?? Do they have a bunch of monkey's working for them? While they are blowing money, I'm the owner of http://www.dustindiamond.com/, maybe I can talk them into throwing some money over here :)

Wow...I thought all the websites from the early 90's were lost in a fire (along with Dustin Diamond).