Time for someone else's dime??

Fatty

Ok, I can now say that in the last couple weeks or so I've noticed an empty server when I've come to play.

This means to me that it's time to just decide on a HQ server out there somewhere where we can all meet to play and basically understand that it's where we check for friends first.

I see no point in renewing our subscription beyond the next month if we're not providing something our community NEEDS. Add to this fact that never in my TF2 time did I feel the need to use admin on anyone (due to the team factor), I would ask what the point it? Let's find a server that rocks and is full and make it (or that and a couple others) our meeting place for TF2.

Why focus on making someone else's server rock, when we can focus that energy on making OUR server rock? I got the game a week ago and have been waiting to get in there...actually, I have been in there running around alone a few times. If we get all the people here at GC that want to play TF2, and we make a real effort to put in some face time...WE can be the server that other people come to play, and in theory...it will take off on it's own...just like the other servers have. We just have to do the work. CS is getting dated and boring...this new game could be the breath of fresh air we all need once it gets rolling, especially since alot of people may not even have the game yet, so there is growth potential.

I agree with Clueless here. I think we need to keep our server and try to make it the best we can. CSS is getting to be a dated game...especially when COD4 comes out. I think alot of CSS players will start playing that..of course not all of them. But COD4 will pull alot of modern warfare CT against T's type of game players away from CSS.

I haven't been able to put alot of time in the game as I would like to. I have been working my tail off. But I have financially supported the server and if need be will continue to support it. I think it is great that we ventured out and picked up a new game server.

I think if we had been having people to put in face time Fatty wouldn't have had to post this. Clue, I know you've been in there lately, if you wanna take the server and run with it go for it. Organize the troops and lets see if we can get some activity in there. If at a minimum we have people playing at primetime I think we can make a good case for keeping it. I will be purchasing TF2 shortly but I don't have the time to devote to the exercise of populating the sever. If you can do it, go for it.

I don't think Fatty really wants to get rid of it, I think he is just looking for a reason to keep it.

I'm fine with continuing to spend time on the TF2 server as long as other people show up. While I know that this is a "Pity Me" stance, if there were more regs on TF2 and vent I'd be more willing to get on. Of course, vent's never gonna be occupied, hopefully we can get more people to play TF2... I'll start tonight!

GC Alumni
(edited)

Tonight was the first time I have actually played with a group of people..and I have to say...LOVED it! The gameplay and the graphics make the game have a real fun feel...not too overly serious. Of course, as like CS...I suck pretty bad, but I had fun:D Tomorrow night I will have more time to play, hope to see everyone back in there!!

Edited by Clueless

I have TF2 and have played our server, when there are people in there its a blast but it has been empty lately during prime-time. I will jump in when I can but it's no fun being the only player in there waiting for others to join. I have ADD and need to be engaged quickly or I will forget why I joined the server..............ahh, what were we discussing here?

I understand there are many factors that will go into a decision like this. Also, I understand where Fatty is coming from.

I would like to cast my solitary not so important vote for letting the server ride a little longer. Let's see if we can start to generate more consistent traffic from both inside and outside the community.

FWIW, the Orangebox only came out a few weeks ago, and many of us only recently picked it up, many more will in the near future.

Perhaps waiting through the holidays when people will be buying the game or getting it as a gift, are done with finals, travel, etc. would be a good idea.

SS

I understand there are many factors that will go into a decision like this. Also, I understand where Fatty is coming from.

I would like to cast my solitary not so important vote for letting the server ride a little longer. Let's see if we can start to generate more consistent traffic from both inside and outside the community.

FWIW, the Orangebox only came out a few weeks ago, and many of us only recently picked it up, many more will in the near future.

Perhaps waiting through the holidays when people will be buying the game or getting it as a gift, are done with finals, travel, etc. would be a good idea.

SS

I concur, the next few months are guaranteed to be slow in and out of this community especially for new games.

I often swing by there to check out if there's anyone playing but there usually isn't.

If I stick around for about 15 min other people will start showing up but usually I don't think of this a worth it. We really just need people to be willing to join the server. If you're a GC member or reg and you see that there's 1 person "playing" on our server join just to help get attendance up, even if you don't really want to play a small game.

Or at least that's my take on it

Ring

not that my opinions matters here, but I'm one of the (I believe) many that are planning on buying this (orange box) in the coming month or so. There's been a lot of new stuff coming out and not everyone has jumped on the same stuff.

I for one am about done with CS. I hardly play it much anymore as it's gotten a bit stale for me. I do think TF2 looks like loads of fun though, and obviously when I do start playing it, I will want to have GC as my go-to server.

I think traffic will pick up here, stick it out of it's possible! The games only been out for a month, there's still time. :D

GC Founder

I spent 10 minutes setting up a fully upgraded sentry in the hopes that 1 poor sould would join me last night......just bad timing it seems. The game would have probably reset when they joined anyway.

It's uberfun...and worth it.

I've never seen it die after getting full though...M2, what did you do?

I spent 10 minutes setting up a fully upgraded sentry in the hopes that 1 poor sould would join me last night......just bad timing it seems. The game would have probably reset when they joined anyway.

It's uberfun...and worth it.

I've never seen it die after getting full though...M2, what did you do?

we didnt get it full, only like 6v6 plus it was on dustbowl and I had to go, prolly would of kept it going if I would of switched it to fort, but I forgot the rcon