Hint, Tips, Tricks

Tek-Almighty

Well, as I cannot for the life of me get vent or in game chat to work (no it's not my mic). The learning curve will be steep. It will be steeper for others who don't pick up the game for a few more months.

I figured we could post questions, tips, tricks, etc... here.

TIPS (thus far, mine are generic):

1. Give rides! Well, we can't really ride on top any more, but if we have orb runner, we should at least give him/her a ride to prime and then keep going. That hoverboard is fast, but not fast enuff.

2. Whilst holding alt fire to load up missle, repeatedly pressing left mouse will toggle the various firing options (i.e. spiral, grenades, etc...)

3. Grab armour, as it makes a ton of difference.

lame start I know, but just wanna get ball rolling.

Questions:

1. With necris scavenger, how do I "partially deploy" tentacles to get that whirling ball of leggy death? Is there a way to better steer when it is an energy ball?

2. How do I lock and self-destruct the necris viper?

more to come

A:

1 - while you're the rolling orb, just hit fire and the legs will pop out

2 - I think you just eject... ?

TIPS:

1 - kill the other guy before he kills you

2 - goo is DEFINITELY your friend now in DM. shoots fast and shoots straight

3 - spawn killing is still amazing, and very useful

Do you have the latest vent software? With vent 3 out now, all clients have to get the new stuff to connect to our vent server

Not lame at all tek, now we just need to start a map thread to talk about stuff hidde on the maps (tucked away power ups, deemer locations, special events, etc.) granted, if we would just play the maps in single player, how to trigger all those special events are laid out for ya.

Guy has a mutator in bet that allows daisy chaining of hoverboard tow cables. Looks like tots of fun!

-Fk

Do you have the latest vent software? With vent 3 out now, all clients have to get the new stuff to connect to our vent server

-Fk

Well, I dloaded from their site yesterday, so assuming most recent...I will check. But the fact that I cannot hear myself/be heard in-game chat is a prob too.

Another question:

We cannot drop weapons, can we drop orb? I swear I've seen people do it.

Well, as I cannot for the life of me get vent or in game chat to work (no it's not my mic). The learning curve will be steep. It will be steeper for others who don't pick up the game for a few more months.

I figured we could post questions, tips, tricks, etc... here.

TIPS (thus far, mine are generic):

1. Give rides! Well, we can't really ride on top any more, but if we have orb runner, we should at least give him/her a ride to prime and then keep going. That hoverboard is fast, but not fast enuff.

2. Whilst holding alt fire to load up missle, repeatedly pressing left mouse will toggle the various firing options (i.e. spiral, grenades, etc...)

3. Grab armour, as it makes a ton of difference.

lame start I know, but just wanna get ball rolling.

Questions:

1. With necris scavenger, how do I "partially deploy" tentacles to get that whirling ball of leggy death? Is there a way to better steer when it is an energy ball?

2. How do I lock and self-destruct the necris viper?

more to come

Self Destruct with necris viper

Jump up and hit mouse button 2. Don't know the damage amount but love hitting nodes and levi with them. I don't know how much damage is done by it but hope alot since I am then on foot.

Scavenger

If memory serves me right Left mouse directs energy ball against enemy. Right mouse gets you in ball form. Right mouse button while in ball form gives spiral attack and you then deploy legs for movement. Left mouse button while in ball form just deploys the legs. I could be reversing this part on mouse buttons. You cannot attack unmanned vehicles with energy ball, just floats around. Closer to opponents or manned targets more effective energy ball is unless you run over the person with tentacles. Don't know if tentacles hurt vehicles. Moving in ball form hard. Left and right only direct you a few degrees while rolling. Must be more to it but need more time.

Hope this helps

Edited by MaDPaT

My orbie was attacking unmanned locked vehicles with it's power orb thingamajig...

Mine was buzzing around doing nothing. Then again I get confused and may have been attacking my own team vehicles. You guys have seen this happen before with me :spin2: .

Found an interesting characteristic, the necris viper jumps and kind of floats. It cannot dive down like a manta. If we had older shockers and I did that tactic, Dark and Bushwack would have shocked me higher into the stratosphere.

Edited by MaDPaT

Since I've decided UT3 is way funner than I thought it would be, and most of us will be spending a great deal of hobby time enjoying it over the next couple years I thought I'd think out loud here (in the form of run-on sentences) with regard to some of the differences between 2k4 and UT3 and offer some help with the transition.

No dodge jumping:

At first I thought this was going to mess up the game but after I shut my ego up, I came to the conclusion that this evens out the game beautifully and helps make the other weapons more important. If you really think about it, 2k4 was an extremely hitscan intensive game, because if someone flak'd or shot rockets at you, you could just fly 15 feet away with a dodge jump and hit them with a lightning shot (to the FACE) OR get hit in the face when you land, because being in the air that long gave anyone with decent reflexes plenty of time to gauge where you would land. With the NICELY redesigned weapons of UT3, the absence of dodge jump, and the increase of strafe speed, average hitscanners can no longer dominate players that hold "other" weapons, especially at medium to close range.

No LG:

Again, evens things out.. and increases the importance of height advantage and map knowledge. Sniper rifle is nice, but it's no LG, and that's a good thing.

Spamfest:

Every weapon does a great deal of damage quickly. Node battles and small DM maps are no place to be unless you enjoy hearing the sound of your lifeless body slapping into the ground. Node focus and staying out of big rocket/flak/mini/bio/dual enforcer battles (yeah that's a lot of weapons, you will DIE at close range) is more important in UT3, because if your node gets orbed while you are busy getting spammed by 5 noobs, even if you take them all out you still lost the game. Elevation is your best friend, so this is probably the only time you'll ever hear this but: Get high, shoot people, don't be stupid!

Hoverboard:

They are fast, they move well, they jump high, they will end your life faster than anything else in the game. For crap sakes, don't skate toward a group of people expecting to hop off and rocket them when you get there.. you won't get there! Hug the walls, take the long route, jump off early, whatever.. just don't hop on your board expecting to fly past 10 enemies because you are faster than them.. a noob could literally hold the button down with the minigun, spin his mouse around randomly, and it would knock you off your board from 100 yards away. And don't latch on to fast vehicles in complicated maps unless you know the person is aware of you being latched. Ever played tetherball too close to a fence? Me neither, that would be ridiculous.. but that's a pretty good analogy.

THE ORB:

Cool addition, I'm liking it. Makes it tough to dominate a map. I'd like to see a recreation of arcticstronghold, I might actually like the map now. Crossfire too, and Dawn... come to think of it i want all the ONS maps back NOW.

So obviously I like the game, now a few complaints.. mostly taunt related

"EF YEAH": stupidest taunt I've ever heard.

"Take it": 2nd stupidest taunt I've ever heard.

"I don't wan that s*** in my hair": Doesn't really fit the context of the game, unless it's leisuresuit larry.. but pretty funny

Why are the majority of the taunts accompanied by a sexual gesture? Seeing a character say "you cannot defeat us" while thrusting the pelvis doesn't intimidate me, it makes me think the person behind that computer is a moron!

"I'VE GOT THE ORB": Congratulations.

Where did node numbering go? I'm not going to say "I need help at enemy prime node" over vent, screw that. maybe "help at EP" or something..... but then what do i do for EAST TANK NODE? ETN? why can't i just say a number? "Enemy incoming in a goliath with damage booster and berserk from east tank node toward enemy prime node" is there a better way to go about sharing that information with others? Takes me at least 2 minutes to say that, especially if I'm eating/playing.

Alright back to work, feel free to add to this post as I'm sure it will help make the transition easier for us all.

Edited by Wentz

"Just don't hop on your board expecting to fly past 10 enemies because you are faster than them.. a noob could literally hold the button down with the minigun, spin his mouse around randomly, and it would knock you off your board from 100 yards away. "

I agree with all you said Wentz. I had a hard time not reading and laughing. The lack of dodge jump helps me. I can mention numerous times I shot at Bushwack with flak and he just dodged out of the way and shot me in the head. Very annoying. No numbering of nodes is a definitely shortsighted on the part of midway. I would like to see ut3 versions of arcticstronghold, dawn, and the rest too.

Just have to figure out pipeswitching for middle mouse button that is not listed (no middle mouse) in ini files. After 2 years of ut2004, I had my nostromo settings perfect. Limited weapons on mouse a weakness for me.

lol, tek as soon as I posted this I thought to myself "dang, I should have put this in tek's thread"

flitter plz move this if you have time, and I apologize to tek (even though he is too stubborn to replace his mic)

Edited by Wentz

Only way I've found is to feign death to drop the orb. Not the best solution b/c it leaves you vulnerable.

Dont bother feigning death around me. Someone tricked me once (Dingy or Flitter) and from now on I shoot dead bodies with flak just to make sure.

someone was charging right at me one day and feigned death and there was nobody around, and I didnt shoot. so i ran by him just to mess with him, then i turned around real quick and fired a rocket into his face as he was getting up, MUAHHAHA feign death rox, no pun intended

Edited by Wentz

someone was charging right at me one day and feigned death and there was nobody around, and I didnt shoot. so i ran by him just to mess with him, then i turned around real quick and fired a rocket into his face as he was getting up, MUAHHAHA feign death rox, no pun intended

Liar, that pun was totally intended!

Only way I've found is to feign death to drop the orb. Not the best solution b/c it leaves you vulnerable.

Dont bother feigning death around me. Someone tricked me once (Dingy or Flitter) and from now on I shoot dead bodies with flak just to make sure.

I kill bodies lying on ground also. I am paranoid. Funny thing is that the default machine pistol (single and 3 round burst) is pretty effective provided you have decent aim. Six shot and you are dead. Two three round bursts into a body laying on ground saves more valuable ammo like rockets and shocker.